News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Pont

Re: Tandridge update - pictures
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 08:02:40 AM »
Well done Frank. I assume the club is well pleased.
You are right, the club is pleased.

Biggest issue remaining is the continued removal of trees in play (holes 2,3,9,11,12) and the copse between 18 and 17 which is blocking the view on the green and clubhouse from the 18th tee.

Paul Gray

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 06:00:10 AM »
Hoping for an update for a potential game on Thursday......

Does anyone know how the tree removal program has progressed and how the course is generally at present?
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 06:08:05 AM »
Awesome looking golf course and I really like the contrast between winter and spring. THanks!
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Luke Eipper

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 01:45:28 AM »
Frank

Super effort on your work at Tanridge. It is a beautiful looking golf course on what appears to be a lovely piece of land.
I am curious about how the members have received the course changes, in particular the tree removal and other course vegetation changes. Do you know how the club communicated the changes to the membership? Have they used social media to keep members informed of the incremental changes as they've taken place?

Cheers,
Luke

Giles Payne

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 09:24:40 AM »
Paul - I played it last Monday and it was in great condition.

I have played it for the last three years so have seen the course restoration evolve over that time period.  The extra width gives a much better feeling of space and opens up the angles. The new bunkering is gorgeous if a little to inviting to my ball! Even after a wet weekend the course was firm which really helped the way it played.

Even though some of the holes are quite challenging with plenty of trouble if you go off line, I found myself enjoying the challenge of each shot - it is now a very visually appealing course. I particularly liked the changes to 15 & 16 which I had previously felt were below the standard of much of the rest of the course.

I would recommend that anyone who has the opportunity tries to play it - and if you can fit in the legendary lunch, all the better!

Paul Gray

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »
Giles,

Thanks for your advice.

I've actually booked Camberley now but your advice won't be wasted as I now fully intend to get to Tandridge for a spot of twilight golf before long.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Paul Gray

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 10:23:33 AM »
Note to Frank,

Unless I'm very much mistaken, your photos do an infinitely better job of showing the course than those on the club's website.

Frank Pont

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 05:03:17 PM »
Note to Frank,

Unless I'm very much mistaken, your photos do an infinitely better job of showing the course than those on the club's website.

I think you are very right, not sure why the club hasn't put newer pics on their website?

For the latest version of my Tandridge pics:

http://ivgd.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Restorations/Tandridge/

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:29:11 PM by Frank Pont »

Ryan Coles

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
One of the things I love about this site is the tremendous photos. Lots of websites don't do their course justice with poor pictures.

A friend of mine recently did Burnham's and I think he's got some really good ones on the site. Albeit he completely neglected the channel course...

I think the work I've seen in person and in pictures that Frank has done, looks great. I can imagine many more clubs will come knocking.

John Connolly

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »
Frank

Even though we didn't see the whole course, it's one of the best photo tours of a course I've seen in my very long 2 month participation on this site! Seriously, that course and your restoration look incredible. As I've mentioned to you before, you're photos are insanely good. Your HDR effect is restrained just enough. I went out and shot 4 holes of my home course and my pics were, at best - blah. It's not easy to shoot interesting course shots, especially if you're not looking for the drama shot but rather what a player would experience.

I've you lived in the states I'd hire you to shoot my course!!
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Ryan Coles

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 05:50:03 PM »
Frank

Do you 'restore' features etc that you don't personally like and think the original architect was mistaken on? Or 'make the course the best it can be' and be selective?

Frank Pont

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »
Frank

Do you 'restore' features etc that you don't personally like and think the original architect was mistaken on? Or 'make the course the best it can be' and be selective?

I do not restore engineering mistakes, such as greens that drain into bunkers or enclosed areas in greens that will result in poa plantations.

But I do leave my ego at the door as much as possible. For instance I would never build a green site such as hole 4 at Tandridge, in my opinion its a bit over the top, but that is what Colt built and who am I to change his artistic design.....

Paul Gray

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
Ryan,

OT but Sean Arble may be the man to  show Burnham in its best light. I can't seem to find it but I'd be very surprised if he hadn't done an excellent photo tour at some point.

Frank Pont

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2014, 06:03:14 PM »
Frank

Seriously, that course and your restoration look incredible.  

John,

Thanks, but believe it or not there are people who do not like my work at Tandridge.

I am currently bidding for a new important UK client, and part of the process is that they are visiting many of the UK courses I have worked on (Swinley, Tandridge, Copt Heath, Blackwell and Broadstone), and the only course/work they were luke-warm on of the lot was Tandridge.....

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:20:10 PM by Frank Pont »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2014, 06:50:01 PM »
Frank:

Thanks so much for updating this thread. Honestly, I was not at all familiar with Tandridge and now I would absolutely love to visit and play the course. Looks like the members have something special. Congrats!
Tim Weiman

John Connolly

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »

John,

Thanks, but believe it or not there are people who do not like my work at Tandridge.

I am currently bidding for a new important UK client, and part of the process is that they are visiting many of the UK courses I have worked on (Swinley, Tandridge, Copt Heath, Blackwell and Broadstone), and the only course/work they were luke-warm on of the lot was Tandridge.....

I'm shocked. Do you know what it was that disappointed?
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Frank Pont

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2014, 06:56:42 PM »

John,

I guess the two main reasons were (1) because it was very different from what they were used to (most Colt bunkers in the UK have become dumbed down ovals) and (2) they felt that the many large bunkers could not be maintained to an acceptable standard with the 8 green keepers Tandridge has.

Paul Gray

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2014, 06:58:36 PM »

John,

I guess the two main reasons were (1) because it was very different from what they were used to (most Colt bunkers in the UK have become dumbed down ovals) and (2) they felt that the many large bunkers could not be maintained to an acceptable standard with the 8 green keepers Tandridge has.

To be fair, I hope they realised that a restoration job is just that. Sounds like their concerns should have been directed to the grave of Harry Colt!

Frank Pont

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2014, 07:00:55 PM »
Frank:

Thanks so much for updating this thread. Honestly, I was not at all familiar with Tandridge and now I would absolutely love to visit and play the course. Looks like the members have something special. Congrats!

Tim,

it is a great place, friendly members, great food, a Tudor style club house and a very special Colt course.
And all of that at less than 15 minutes from Gatwick airport.
So no excuse to miss out on it if flying in or out of Gatwick.

Frank Pont

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2014, 07:02:57 PM »
I've you lived in the states I'd hire you to shoot my course!!

Buy me a ticket and put me up, and we have a deal  ;D

jvisser

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2014, 02:39:55 PM »

Hi Frank,

Well done! I should have another look when I get the chance.
Here a pic I took  when you had just done the front 9 and not the back 9.

This is the 17th before your work, clearly a very different look!

jvisser

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »

jvisser

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2014, 02:45:09 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back