News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Grande

Hole #3 shortened...
« on: June 13, 2014, 12:42:23 PM »
considerably today.  Usually playing at approximately 390 yards, the tees were moved up and it is playing 307 to the green.  This hole was never designed to be a driveable par 4.  Why bastardize the hole in this manner?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:54:18 PM by Keith Grande »

Alex Miller

Re: Hole #1 shortened...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »
considerably today.  Usually playing at approximately 390 yards, the tees were moved up and it is playing 307 to the green.  This hole was never designed to be a driveable par 4.  Why bastardize the hole in this manner?

Keith,

I am working so apologies if I am incorrect as I have not watched any coverage, but isn't it the 3rd hole that's been moved up? Or have they done it for both?

Thanks.

Keith Grande

Re: Hole #3 shortened...
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 12:54:05 PM »
You could be correct.  I was listening while preparing for work this morning.   Hole 3 is listed at 387

Howard Riefs

Re: Hole #1 shortened...
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 12:54:47 PM »
It's the third hole.  Golf Chanel has a related story:

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/third-hole-reach-friday-pinehurst/

Over the last few years, Mike Davis has moved up the tee to create a short, drivable par 4 for one hole for a round. For example, he did it to the 14th hole at Torrey Pines for the Sunday round in 2008.  
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Keith Grande

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »
Howard, yes I do remember Torrey.  However, the powers that be are preaching "restoration", "original design intent", and then go out and create their own driveable par 4... ::)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »
Lighten up, Francis.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 02:38:46 PM »
I like it but think it would be more interesting if the green was a tad firmer. Too many players holding the green and that bunker shot from the front is too easy with the pin where it is. I also think they did this in part to help the landing area for the ladies next week.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back