News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: 10th At Riviera: For All Its Brilliance...
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:33 PM »
You should really give this Fazio garbage a rest, John.  Every year it is the same crap, yet when it comes to any actual substantive discussion about the merits of the changes, you slink away with nothing relevant to say.  From what I can tell, the course is great despite Fazio, not because of him.  Even you must realize this.  
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

DMoriarty

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 11:20:41 PM »
With that pin and their ability to stick an 85-yard wedge, I'm really surprised nobody ALL DAY hit a 220-yard shot left of the fairway bunkers.   Phil and Keegan both proved a green side tee shot to the right doesn't work.  Haas played a very smart shot.  

The birdies on 18 were the best moment I've seen on tour in a long time!

I don't know about "nobody all day".  Earlier in the week they mentioned that 55% of the golfers laid up.   That is down from 69% in 2004, but still it is a substantial percentage.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »
With that pin and their ability to stick an 85-yard wedge, I'm really surprised nobody ALL DAY hit a 220-yard shot left of the fairway bunkers.   Phil and Keegan both proved a green side tee shot to the right doesn't work.  Haas played a very smart shot.  

The birdies on 18 were the best moment I've seen on tour in a long time!

I don't know about "nobody all day".  Earlier in the week they mentioned that 55% of the golfers laid up.   That is down from 69% in 2004, but still it is a substantial percentage.

I was referring o today, Sunday, when I think I heard nobody laid up.   

Will MacEwen

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »
I recall Mike Weir laying up in a playoff and winning - I think he beat Howell, who went for it.

Bill, I think it is still a pretty treacherous wedge shot, even for these guys. I do agree that it seems like more should try it though.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 11:26:31 PM »
Is it possible to lay-up and then play a wedge out short left 15 feet and leave yourself a putt at it? I guess because I'm a short hitter the hole plays easier for me, I know I'm not getting close.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 11:27:08 PM »
You should really give this Fazio garbage a rest, John.  Every year it is the same crap, yet when it comes to any actual substantive discussion about the merits of the changes, you slink away with nothing relevant to say.  From what I can tell, the course is great despite Fazio, not because of him.  Even you must realize this.  

Yes David, it is great in spite of him and the current ownership. It isn't always as easy as it looks to be given the world and not screw it up. The only thing he could have done better was to do nothing at all. We get it.

Btw.  I drove the tenth green.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 11:29:43 PM »
Laying up is a horrendous strategy with the firmness of the green and hole location today.

That's why these guys are PGA Tour Pros winning millions and you're monday morning quarterbacks making comments after the outcome.

It's a terrific hole, but then again, are there many bad holes with diagonal greens that are well protected by bunkers ?

JR Potts

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 11:50:22 PM »
I found it great strategy to drive the 11th tee.  Made birdie...

It's a great hole.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 12:08:29 AM »
David,

JakaB doesn't understand the inherent difference between medal and match play and the respective strategies involved.

Bad or inaccurate drives were the problem.

I suspect all three were trying to hit their tee shots into the bunker.

DMoriarty

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 12:09:08 AM »
I was referring o today, Sunday, when I think I heard nobody laid up.   

I don't have the total numbers but definitely a number of golfers laid up.  For example, I just checked a few groups and I see that Luke Donald laid up and birdied, and YE Yang and Adam Scott laid up and parred.   Kevin Na laid up and took a seven -- 2nd into front bunker, 3rd over back right, 4th on, three putts.  (This might have had something to do with the slightly higher scoring average for this who laid up.)  

Patrick,  Depending on the golfer, I am not so sure I agree with you about the layup being "horrendous strategy."

John. Nice posturing, but as bereft of substance as your pro-Fazio cheerleading.  Let me ask you again the same question you skirted on the other thread:  Do the changes honor the aesthetics and playing characteristics of the original design?  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 12:17:16 AM »
David, I do not honor or dismiss the past, I play my ball where it lies.

DMoriarty

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 12:32:45 AM »
No you don't.  If you did you'd not annually regale us with your mindless cheerleading.

George Pazin

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 12:38:46 AM »
Can you really call one-sided analysis playing it where it lies?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »
Keegan was quoted on the hole being somewhat unfair (not completely unfair, mind you.) That, in my mind, gives it greatness potential.

Is there a better playoff sequence on the PGA Tour than 18-10 at Riviera? Could you have two more diverse holes that call for similar (up the left) placement? Two better holes, anywhere, that are regularly used as such?

Patrick, define the layup...since these guys can pretty much zipper anything outside of 30 yards, couldn't they get a ball within 100 yards of the green, in the fairway, and hit it to where Haas did or closer?

Was there any difference in firmness between front, middle and back sections of the putting surface?

Bruce Campbell's quote about spies being "bitchy little girls" in the opening to Burn Notice has nothing on this thread.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

James Bennett

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 05:48:23 AM »
Kevin Na laid up and took a seven -- 2nd into front bunker, 3rd over back right, 4th on, three putts.

I can relate to this.  That bunker shot to a back right pin is undelievably difficult.  The difficulty is not apparent to you until you get to the ball, and look at the pin and the green falling away from you.  If you can't land your sandshot onto the front fringe, you are in the back bunker.

Perhaps some astute golfers will play away from the pin towards the front left - also steeply downhill.

Honestly, the second last place you want to be on 10 to a back right pin is in the sand just in front of the pin (the last place would be perhaps 5 yards short of that bunker).

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 06:12:35 AM »
Are the short trees / bushes left of the green its primary defense against the long hitter?

Bogey

Bogey

I thimk its more than that - the combination of the type of grass, green narrowness, and angles will continually pose questions for both the long and short hitters. I love the hole.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 07:28:10 AM »

Yes David, it is great in spite of him and the current ownership. It isn't always as easy as it looks to be given the world and not screw it up. The only thing he could have done better was to do nothing at all. We get it.

Btw.  I drove the tenth green.

Idiot.  You should have laid up. 

;D
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 10:15:45 AM »
Laying up is a horrendous strategy with the firmness of the green and hole location today.

That's why these guys are PGA Tour Pros winning millions and you're monday morning quarterbacks making comments after the outcome.

It's a terrific hole, but then again, are there many bad holes with diagonal greens that are well protected by bunkers ?

Granted the green was very firm.  However in the 90's in a playoff, both Davis Love and Fred Couples laid up with a similar hole position.  Both made birdie by the way.
So was that bad strategy or has technology changed the best way to play the hole?
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

George Pazin

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 10:26:51 AM »
...However in the 90's in a playoff, both Davis Love and Fred Couples laid up with a similar hole position.  Both made birdie by the way.
So was that bad strategy or has technology changed the best way to play the hole?

Lynn, there is a not-well-known book that follows DLIII day by day through this tourney - I think it's called Through The Green or something like that - and in it, Davis describes the 10th as having a barranca, and indeed there was a rules question as to whether or not he grounded his club in it. Where is this area he described? Have they change the maintenance practices so that it's gone?

Just curious, thought you might know.

[This is the book ==> http://www.amazon.com/Through-Green-Mind-Professional-Golfer/dp/0312093632/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1329751522&sr=8-20, for those interested. Please don't buy all the copies, I got mine from the library and plan on buying one! :)]
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Nugent

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 10:39:55 AM »
George, pretty sure Davis lost in a playoff to Couples back in the early 90s, on #10 IIRC. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 10:50:09 AM »

Granted the green was very firm.  However in the 90's in a playoff, both Davis Love and Fred Couples laid up with a similar hole position.  Both made birdie by the way.

Laying up couldn't have been worse than Phil's tee shot.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 11:24:38 AM »
...However in the 90's in a playoff, both Davis Love and Fred Couples laid up with a similar hole position.  Both made birdie by the way.

Lynn, there is a not-well-known book that follows DLIII day by day through this tourney - I think it's called Through The Green or something like that - and in it, Davis describes the 10th as having a barranca, and indeed there was a rules question as to whether or not he grounded his club in it. Where is this area he described? Have they change the maintenance practices so that it's gone?

It was the 12th hole.  As far as I know it is still a hazard.  Love made a 7 and I think it was the same year he lost in a playoff to Freddie.

[This is the book ==> http://www.amazon.com/Through-Green-Mind-Professional-Golfer/dp/0312093632/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1329751522&sr=8-20, for those interested. Please don't buy all the copies, I got mine from the library and plan on buying one! :)]

It was the 12th hole.  As far as I know it is still a hazard.  I believe he made 7 and it was the same year he lost in a playoff to Freddie.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

George Pazin

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »

It was the 12th hole.  As far as I know it is still a hazard.  Love made a 7 and I think it was the same year he lost in a playoff to Freddie.

It was the 12th hole.  As far as I know it is still a hazard.  I believe he made 7 and it was the same year he lost in a playoff to Freddie.

Thanks, Lynn, I thought you would know.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 12:52:34 PM »
I too find a hole with so many options, so short yet so able to get scores from eagle to double bogie so easy remarkable in its design.  It is even better for we mere mortals who have that first set of traps to figure into our plan.

George Freeman

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:09 PM »
Would have loved to have seen Haas lay up after the first two hit.

Sven - he did, on his approach.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back