News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

10th At Riviera: For All Its Brilliance...
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:07:01 PM »
Are the short trees / bushes left of the green its primary defense against the long hitter?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ben Sims

Re: 10th At Riviera: For All Its Brilliance...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »
Green tilt is what makes this hole.  Brilliant use of slope to confound the great players.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 07:14:41 PM »
Would have loved to have seen Haas lay up after the first two hit.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jay Cox

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 07:14:59 PM »
Agree with Ben.  Watching this second playoff hole is the most fun I've ever had watching golf!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »
Guess he didn't need to.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Will Spivey

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 07:24:01 PM »
I have to agree this playoff is fun.  I, too, thought Haas should have laid up.  Then again, he made the putt and won the tourney.

I was going to start a separate thread, but related to it's brilliance, I'm wondering how the hole is for the average club player, with an index of 5 - 15?  Early in the broadcast Faldo was using the telestrator to show all the places you CAN'T hit the ball to score on this hole.  Basically, with the pin in today's position he said the only "good miss" is essential short and left, along the axis of the green.

So, for the amateur, if they try to drive the green and miss (most likely outcome) they're left with a nearly impossible up and down and a very difficult par.  However, even if the handicap player lays up, his odds of hitting and holding that small green in regulation can't be too great.  So, is this hole too hard for the mid-handicapper?  I know it was among the easiest (by score avg.) for the pros, but what about for us mortals?

PS.  I love short par 4's, and my favorite hole at my club is the short 14th hole.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 07:24:32 PM »
I was stuck with familly commitments, but saw last 10 minutes.  Was that Tommy N., sitting greenside on 18th in a grey tee shirt?  Wow, what a classic end on a classic hole!!!  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 07:46:21 PM »
A terrific hole, impervious to technology and if they need a bush or two to bedevil the pros on a 300 yard hole, I'll plant the damn bush. What a fun, gca-geek end to a tournament!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Matthew Runde

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »
I started tearing up while I was watching the end.  Really.  The 10th is one of my favorite designs, and this finish completely validated Thomas' ideas and the principles of the Golden Age architects.

William_G

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »
+1

but with that hole location ???
It's all about the golf!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
I started tearing up while I was watching the end.  Really.  The 10th is one of my favorite designs, and this finish completely validated Thomas' ideas and the principles of the Golden Age architects.

Should we worry about you, Matthew?   ;D
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 07:55:44 PM »
+1

but with that hole location ???

Short and left, probably a five iron shot for him.  Would have left a pitch right down the axis of the green.  

The genius move was not attacking the pin on his second.  He left a makeable (albeit long) putt.  Both Phil and Keegan went after the back section on their second shots and paid the price.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:59:51 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Bill McKinley

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 07:58:17 PM »
A terrific hole, impervious to technology and if they need a bush or two to bedevil the pros on a 300 yard hole, I'll plant the damn bush. What a fun, gca-geek end to a tournament!

This.  Very well said, I completely agree.  Great hole!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

William_G

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »
so you miss the five-iron, then what?

not really a small bush guy, LOL

definitely a great match play hole! (like most short par 4s)

end of story
It's all about the golf!

Matthew Runde

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 08:00:19 PM »

Yes, but there are plenty of other reasons to do so!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 08:08:28 PM »

Yes, but there are plenty of other reasons to do so!

That's always the case with good guys...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 08:17:29 PM »
You have to give Fazio credit for having the genius to not muck up the tenth. The green reminds me of the original 14th at Bandon Trails, RIP.

ChipOat

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »
We've done several threads in the past on both "Great Short Par 4's" and "#10 at Riviera".

If I knew how to pull up the links, I would do it.

They're in the archives, though.

Any volunteers?

The hole is like #14 @ PB or #15 @ PV.  The purest of golf architecture right there on the ground.  No ocean, no Stupid Trees, no "windmills and clown's noses" green that is too fast for its contours - just great angles and bunkering.

The essence of a great short par 4 - total precision required.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 09:53:09 PM »
Compare ten at Riv to 14 at Pebble?  Sistine Chapel vs The Love Shack.

Sven Nilsen

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:59:35 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 10:00:13 PM »
We've done several threads in the past on both "Great Short Par 4's" and "#10 at Riviera".

If I knew how to pull up the links, I would do it.

They're in the archives, though.

Any volunteers?

The hole is like #14 @ PB or #15 @ PV.  The purest of golf architecture right there on the ground.  No ocean, no Stupid Trees, no "windmills and clown's noses" green that is too fast for its contours - just great angles and bunkering.

The essence of a great short par 4 - total precision required.

At your service. A few to start with...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,18505.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,1057.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,1940.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38674.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,27642.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8877.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,24133.0.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mac Plumart

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 10:54:06 PM »

Perfect comment.  You've got my vote, your Honor!! 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 10:55:08 PM »
You have to give Fazio credit for having the genius to not muck up the tenth. The green reminds me of the original 14th at Bandon Trails, RIP.

Don't be so sure.  Geoff had a player come up to him yesterday and ask if was true that "Fazio" was going to rework the 10th.  Genius?
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 11:12:10 PM »

Don't be so sure.  Geoff had a player come up to him yesterday and ask if was true that "Fazio" was going to rework the 10th.  Genius?

Temptation is an evil mistress. I know that if I have any failure as a man it is my lack of restraint when faced by opportunity. If Fazio eventually gives in and leaves his mark on the tenth I will not judge him for such, nor should any of us.  Instead I will continue to celebrate what remains great rather than pine for what is lost or the potential of what could have been. After all, a course, is a course, is a course and it was a great course we witnessed today.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 11:14:49 PM »
With that pin and their ability to stick an 85-yard wedge, I'm really surprised nobody ALL DAY hit a 220-yard shot left of the fairway bunkers.   Phil and Keegan both proved a green side tee shot to the right doesn't work.  Haas played a very smart shot.  

The birdies on 18 were the best moment I've seen on tour in a long time!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back