News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Renaissance has the luxury of having fine fescue turf that is easier to maintain, and more quickly recovers. 

Joey,

Forgive me, but, fine fescue recovers faster?  Faster than what?  The Soviet Union?

RDecker

I've incorporated this concept in a situation where a chipping area transitions into a fairway/landing area on an adjacent par 3.  I got the idea
from a posted photo I saw here of Merion's west course some years ago.  The maintenance and recovery of this area is of no additional concern and I've always loved the look.  Greens surround/chipping areas transitioning into a tee is a cool look/idea as far as I'm concerned and the idea of the Putting green turning into the 1st tee is very interesting though I wonder about the amount of foot traffic this area would be subject to.

Bill Brightly

I agree that it is a "cool" feature but I am not a fan unless the whole course is set up this way.

I imagine it can be done in the Australian sandbelt and it would look natural. Plainfield has this look behind the 16th green where the lowcut fairway runs uphill right on to the 17th tee. It is very cool, and I imagine it makes for some fun recovery shots for those who go long, but I never felt that it fit with the rest of the course. Haven't played there in a few years, I wonder if PCC has done this on other holes.

Anthony_Nysse

I've incorporated this concept in a situation where a chipping area transitions into a fairway/landing area on an adjacent par 3.  I got the idea
from a posted photo I saw here of Merion's west course some years ago.  The maintenance and recovery of this area is of no additional concern and I've always loved the look.  Greens surround/chipping areas transitioning into a tee is a cool look/idea as far as I'm concerned and the idea of the Putting green turning into the 1st tee is very interesting though I wonder about the amount of foot traffic this area would be subject to.

Looking at the recent aerial, it looks like Plainfield has 4 tees that are tied into the chipping areas. Maybe we will see some pictures in the pictorial.

Not the worlds best picture, but this is a photo of #16 tee, looking back to #15 green at Colonial. This is all short cut, approach/tee height grass.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:20:28 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mike Hendren

Tony, the area between Plainfield's 16th green and 17th tee is most noteworthy.  From Ran's profile:

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Joey Chase

Renaissance has the luxury of having fine fescue turf that is easier to maintain, and more quickly recovers. 

Joey,

Forgive me, but, fine fescue recovers faster?  Faster than what?  The Soviet Union?

The Soviet Union?
I was thinking Bentgrass.

Anthony_Nysse

Riviera added this type of area onto the back of 6 collar into 7 tee last year. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Joey Chase

Riviera added this type of area onto the back of 6 collar into 7 tee last year. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture.

Is it a unique feature to the course, or do they have more area's like this?

Anthony_Nysse

Joey, it was not there when I was there for the tournament in 2010, but I noticed it last year. It had a nice flow to it, ough I'm not sure how many could/are possible there
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Grant Saunders

I have recently introduced this feature on 2 of our holes with the potential to do 2-3 more dependent on irrigation throw.

I personally like the look and it has also been done in an effort, along with other changes, to establish our course as being different in a market place of very similar courses.

As the distance from the surrounds to the next tee on these areas so far is only minimal, I estimate it has added approximately 5 minutes extra when mowing fairways.

I am however of the view that if to achieve this feature you have to hand mow it, topdress it, apply agrichemicals and fertilise it often than  it most definitely should not be introduced.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back