News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: CPC 16.  Dont try this at Home.
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »
Kalen,

I did NOT make the birdie putt.

I was very, very content with a par.

I remember the spray of the Ocean off the rocks hitting us on the tee.
It was a pretty good wind.

After the round I went back to the hotel and brought some people back to the 16th tee to show them the shot I had hit into that green.  I was rather proud of it, given the conditions.

I also called the individual who had arranged my round at CPC and went on and on about how great the golf course was and how excited I was to have made a par on # 16.  I birdied # 17 but bogied # 18 for a most satisfying round.  The individual I was speaking to knew how excited I was.

When I returned to my room that night after dinner, there was a message light on the phone.
It was from the individual who had arranged my round.
They said, "You really seemed to have really enjoyed the golf course and your round today"
I said, " It was spectacular, one of my greatest golfing experiences, and, I was lucky enough to play well."
They said, "That's nice to hear.  Oh, and by the way, you have an 8:30 tee off time tomorrow at CPC, can you be there ?"
You know what my answer was.

Jud_T

« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2009, 01:52:22 PM »
If real $$$'s are at stake, no question, lay up....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2009, 04:51:24 PM »
Kalen,

I did NOT make the birdie putt.

I was very, very content with a par.

I remember the spray of the Ocean off the rocks hitting us on the tee.
It was a pretty good wind.

After the round I went back to the hotel and brought some people back to the 16th tee to show them the shot I had hit into that green.  I was rather proud of it, given the conditions.

I also called the individual who had arranged my round at CPC and went on and on about how great the golf course was and how excited I was to have made a par on # 16.  I birdied # 17 but bogied # 18 for a most satisfying round.  The individual I was speaking to knew how excited I was.

When I returned to my room that night after dinner, there was a message light on the phone.
It was from the individual who had arranged my round.
They said, "You really seemed to have really enjoyed the golf course and your round today"
I said, " It was spectacular, one of my greatest golfing experiences, and, I was lucky enough to play well."
They said, "That's nice to hear.  Oh, and by the way, you have an 8:30 tee off time tomorrow at CPC, can you be there ?"
You know what my answer was.

Once again, epic story.

I guess afterall sometimes it is indeed good to be Pat Mucci....

P.S.  On 16 tee were you distracted by all those crashing waves, sandy beaches, barking seals, whitecaps in the distance, etc?  I sure hope not because they aren't part of the course being OB and all!!   ;D  ;D  Sorry couldn't resist channelling a little Tom Huckaby with that last one.

P.P.S.  I'm also guessing you passed on the tee time the next day so you could play Pacific Grove!  ;)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2009, 06:50:17 PM »
David this is a silly silly can be. No one in a real match would do anything but hit a mid or long iron down the left and make a 3 or 4 win the hole and go to 17 1 up.  Now most are not playing in an event when making cypress their once in a lifetime day and should go for it without discussion as well. Who cares if u lose a beer or lunch.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2009, 07:03:39 PM »

Once again, epic story.

I guess afterall sometimes it is indeed good to be Pat Mucci....

P.S.  On 16 tee were you distracted by all those crashing waves, sandy beaches, barking seals, whitecaps in the distance, etc?  I sure hope not because they aren't part of the course being OB and all!!   ;D  ;D  Sorry couldn't resist channelling a little Tom Huckaby with that last one.

Kalen, I'm not going to say that my surroundings went unnoticed, but, my focus was on the "hole" and the shot that lay ahead.
         As you know, that's one of the most daunting shots in golf and it came at a critical time in light of my round and wager.
         I was keenly aware of the wind and its influence on my tee shot.
         I was very intent on trying to make par.  (I never thought about a birdie)
         Think of a fighter pilot in a dog fight, you either focus on the target or you perish.
         While I admit to being distracted by thong-bikinis in South Beach, seals and seagulls don't divert my attention. ;D

P.P.S.  I'm also guessing you passed on the tee time the next day so you could play Pacific Grove!  ;)

Actually, I had committed the following day to shopping and sightseeing with my girl friend.
           But, she understood the revision in the schedule as she knew how excited I had been after my initial round.
           She was born and raised near Santa Barbara, California, so she wasn't too disappointed.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2009, 07:10:30 PM »
Patrick,

What a cool story.  You undoubtebly will remember that shot forever.

Earlier this year I played in a tournament at Cypress.  I began on the second hole.  By the time I reached the sixteenth hole, our team was seven under and in the running to win.  Our first two players hit their balls in the water.  I was to hit third, and my team wanted me to lay up.  Knowing I wouldn't get more oppurtunities like that, however, I took a three wood and put it to twenty feet.  The player following me missed the green right in the ice plant.  I remember lipping out the birdie putt, but sealing a par for the team.  That was the last time I ever played the sixteenth hole.  We eventually finished fourth, but I will always remember that shot and the joy I had after pulling it off.  There is no other shot in all of golf thats had come close to thrilling me as much as the 16th at Cypress.  It's absolute perfection.

Cheers,
Jordan

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2009, 07:25:32 PM »
Jordan,

It's interesting, that over all of the years, of all the shots we've hit, that some shots stand out as indelible memories.

My wife often asks, "how can you forget to pick up the dry cleaning when I asked you earlier this morning, but, you can remember almost every shot you hit on a round you played 30 years ago?"

I don't tell her the answer that's obvious to a golfer.

There are priorities in life, and quite simply, some things are more important than others. ;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2009, 10:37:49 PM »
I have remarked on this before but my  younger son, Marc, now a forty year old, asked me what I considered a highlight in my golfing life, was it shooting my age, the number of holes- in-one or what.  I think that, in retrospect, that in the late seventies and early eighties it was hitting the sixteenth at Cypress with a three wood on the green in thirteen consecutive attempts. Today it takes a driver to play it safe to the left.

You guys will get old one day, savor the the three hundred yard drives, it surely will not last.

Bob

Jed Peters

« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2009, 01:12:03 AM »
You guys will get old one day, savor the the three hundred yard drives, it surely will not last.

Bob

You hit it AT LEAST 285 now....

(Miss you Bob, I need some work down there to come see you again!)

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2009, 11:25:38 AM »
I have remarked on this before but my  younger son, Marc, now a forty year old, asked me what I considered a highlight in my golfing life, was it shooting my age, the number of holes- in-one or what.  I think that, in retrospect, that in the late seventies and early eighties it was hitting the sixteenth at Cypress with a three wood on the green in thirteen consecutive attempts. Today it takes a driver to play it safe to the left.

Bob

Someone recently asked John Wooden how he handles being 99, in a wheel chair and not able to do all the things he once did.  He reply was "be content with yourself."

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Lou_Duran

« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2009, 02:49:52 PM »
If I ever have the opportunity to play CPC again, regardless of where I stand to par or in a match, my shot on #16 will be to the green so long as I am still able to carry the water with my best shot.

Lynn,

We should all strive to internalize Coach Wooden's attitude.  It seems that the older I get, the harder it is (to look at things more positively).

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2009, 03:03:30 PM »

Just for the heck of it ...

Bump ...

Mike, how was the WIND?

Kevin

STRONG !!!

Mike

Who said the back bunker never gets raked ? Mr 3W

;D

Sean Leary

« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »

Just for the heck of it ...

Bump ...

Mike, how was the WIND?

Kevin

STRONG !!!

Mike

Who said the back bunker never gets raked ? Mr 3W

;D

How funny was that. I NEVER rake the back bunker...15 seconds later, Benham flies it in there. Didn't say much after that, did he.

Tim Bert

« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »
Bob

With Jason McOlgan's driver in hand and your back turned to the target I think you could make the carry.

Bob

Mike Benham

« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2009, 07:27:47 PM »

How funny was that. I NEVER rake the back bunker...15 seconds later, Benham flies it in there. Didn't say much after that, did he.

And the caddy still hasn't raked the bunker, I did it for him ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean Leary

« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »
Mikean

Sad considering how old you are. You might have hurt yourself.

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2009, 08:25:36 PM »
Not a big fan of the gotta go for it mentality applied to investment banking , credit fault swaps etc.  On the 16th tee at Cyprus, I'm gonna risk a scuffed up Bridgestone.  Gives me a tingle just thinking about it.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2009, 08:37:58 PM »
Not a big fan of the gotta go for it mentality applied to investment banking , credit fault swaps etc.  On the 16th tee at Cyprus, I'm gonna risk a scuffed up Bridgestone.  Gives me a tingle just thinking about it.

Pat,

The 16th is not worth a scuffed up Bridgestone.  It is worty of a brand new Pro-V1.

In fact, given by the amount of pro-v's I found on the beach this summer, I know other people believe that to be true as well.

Cheers,
Jordan

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2009, 10:04:18 PM »

Pat,

Into a good wind, a scuffed up Bridgestone isn't aerodynamically suited to safely make the journey across the chasm. ;D

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2009, 12:21:40 AM »
On the 16th tee at Cyprus, I'm gonna risk a scuffed up Bridgestone. 

Pat,

Into a good wind, a scuffed up Bridgestone isn't aerodynamically suited to safely make the journey across the chasm. ;D

Balls fly farther in the Mediterranean.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

David Whitmer

« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2009, 08:56:36 AM »
If I was 1-up on the 16th at CPC, in a match that meant a great deal to me, and my opponent just hit his tee ball in the ocean...I would lay up in a heart beat. I hit my driver 300 yards, and my 3-wood 270 yards, so the length is not a factor to me. I would lay up because it would, in all probability, lead to my being 2-up with 2 to play. At the end of the day I'll probably win the match, which was my goal when I teed off.

Tiger was asked after the 2008 U.S. Open what he would tell his infant daughter, in the years to come, about this tournament, and he said, "I got the "W."" That, to me, is what it's all about.

Jud_T

« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2009, 11:39:37 AM »
To the guys who say go for it:

I think you're missing the point...What if you're playing a $1000 nassau with a couple of presses? That's not enough for your economic situation to matter? how about a $10,000 nassau? I guess it's a bit silly because if it's your one and only chance to play there you're probably just going to have a gentleman's bet so you can enjoy the day.  But........
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2009, 11:43:54 AM »
To the guys who say go for it:

I think you're missing the point...What if you're playing a $1000 nassau with a couple of presses? That's not enough for your economic situation to matter? how about a $10,000 nassau? I guess it's a bit silly because if it's your one and only chance to play there you're probably just going to have a gentleman's bet so you can enjoy the day.  But........

Jud,

And that was my real point for the post I made a couple of days ago.  For just about everyone on this board, playing CPC would likely be a one-shot deal that didn't involve being in a tournament, having a massive nassua, or regular access otherwise. 

So if you get a chance to play it, why not have a go... just like Shivas says, there is more to golf than the pencil and scorecard.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 11:47:27 AM by Kalen Braley »

Jud_T

« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2009, 02:28:06 PM »
Kalen,

no question that you have to give it a go, as they say you didn't come here to lay up...I would say even in a member-guest, although i bet the calcutta at a place like cypress, if they have one, could have a few zeros on it....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back