News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MClutterbuck

Mar del Plata Golf Club
« on: August 24, 2021, 10:05:19 AM »
I thought I would share a few images of my 2-day trip to Mar del Plata Golf Club last week-end, where I had the privilege of staying at the clubhouse and play 2 fun filled rounds in the middle of winter.

The course was designed by Juan Dentone in 1899 and opened for play in 1900 with 9 holes. Eighteen holes were finalized by 1915.

Unfortunately 4 holes were affected by court mandated changes, including nets and alternative tees, for safety reasons. However, one of them still plays as one of the greatest short par 4s in the world on the days the tees are brought back.

View of the Club House from just out of the 9th green.

From the par 3 12th tee, the 12th green back right, the 13th fairway behind it,  and the 11th green and 13th tee to the left below the ridge.

The short par 4 10th hole. Fantastic both from the shorter tees (270 yards) or the longer tees (320 yards) and a bunker across the full fairway at about 240 yards from the back.

The par 4 18th to the left with players on the fairway and the 9th fairway to the right. The enormous bunker right out of Prestwick is very much in play on both holes when the wind is up from the East or North.

Even though the 3rd and 4th holes are a lot less attractive than they were, Mar del Plata is a fun, quirky, linksy course with many features that bring Prestwick, North Berwick and Elie to mind. Well worth the visit if you are on a golf trip in Buenos Aires.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 10:20:16 AM by MClutterbuck »

Tom_Doak

Re: Mar del Plata Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »
That was a great day of golf, there, although the angled fences on the four holes leave such a bad aftertaste.

I did not expect it to be so linksy or to be so well loved by the locals.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 11:01:25 AM »
We were lucky to play #10 from the original greens so the bad aftertaste from #3 and #4 is long gone. I have to agree it is one of the best short par 4s in the world.

On the second day i missed the #1 green long and left, ball went down the cliff. About a 60 foot vertical recovery. Unique course.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 01:42:11 PM »
Super fun course!  I played it years ago--it was firm and windy and a lot harder than the scorecard suggested.

Interesting sidenote:  my wife and I owned an apartment in MDP for a short period of time.  Never stayed there. . . .

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 04:36:42 PM »
Splendid new photos MC. Thanks for sharing.
See below for an old postcard and secondly an old b&W photo I coloured a while ago.
There's also this old thread - https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40438.0.html
atb

Randy Thompson

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 11:09:32 PM »
My favorite course in Argentina.  During the last thirty years I have had the pleasure of working with them on and off! Looking at the photos from five years ago when we made changes to 3-4-10 and 11 after the security problems. That was fun! Incredible 18 hole golfing experience and on 27Ha, or 63 acres. I call it the, Mona Liza of South American Golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back