News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

A Pointless Exercise
« on: January 08, 2012, 09:43:46 AM »
On Thursday during coverage from the Plantation Course Mark Rolfing spoke about construction of one of the holes (17 or 18 as I recall).  In particular he was talking about the addition of a number of tee boxes.

He spoke in the first person, so he must have been involved - or present - during construction.

He said something along the lines of "We hit balls from the original tee and started moving back.  Because of the land, no matter how far we moved back, the ball ended up in the same place.  Tees were added up to 100 yards behind the original tee but a player's tee shot ends up in the same place no matter which one he selects."

Those aren't his exact words but the point was: The hole in question has a number of different tees, all of which produce the exact same result.

Isn't this absolutely pointless?  And doesn't it signal one of the problems in modern golf and design (that longer is better, even if distance makes no difference)?

For those of you who caught this dialogue did I even come close to recalling it correctly?

WW

Jaeger Kovich

Re: A Pointless Exercise
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »
I didn't hear any of the interview/story, but could it maybe have something to do with TV angles, spectator circulation or a view as well as simply playability? hmm!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 02:51:16 PM »
Wade, that's how I heard it too, but I was interested to hear Mark Saltzman comment on another thread that there is actually very little roll during regular play. He specifically referenced the 18th hole and the "350 yard drive". He said it wasn't forthcoming. So perhaps Mark Rolfing's statement is true when they have it shaved down for tournament conditions but not at other times - that still means there is no point in having that back, back tee, though if it's effectively just there for the pros...seems like an utter waste of time and money.

I would somewhat beg to differ on this point having first-hand experience myself this past August.  I was playing the 18th hole with a local member, and he gave me the "line of charm" marker and I had at it.  Luckily I caught one right on the screws (aimed at the vent tower/chimney on the clubhouse) and found my ball 410 yards from where I teed off (according to the GPS on the cart)...which was all the way down by the edge of the baranca (and I ain't no big hitter).

I think it really comes down to the movement of the land and the ultimate result of the ball's "ride" on the land and the funneling effect it must have on all balls hit  in a general area.  At least that is my take on why 17 and 18 play the way the do.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »
Wade, I heard it the same way. I have never been there, but, would we be talking about it if Evan hit it 310? (vs 410?).  My point being perhaps it is a (Great) PR "ploy," sorry, marketing idea. I sat there the other nite watching to see how far each player would hit it on 18. I somehow missed Gary Woodland or they didn't show him of all people. If I hit it 410, my friends would never forget it.........
Congrats Evan.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:07:19 PM by Bruce Wellmon »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 05:12:06 PM »
I hit some shots in the snow today that bounced off the frozen ground and ran on and on and on...
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

David Kelly

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 08:45:09 PM »
Wade, that's how I heard it too, but I was interested to hear Mark Saltzman comment on another thread that there is actually very little roll during regular play. He specifically referenced the 18th hole and the "350 yard drive". He said it wasn't forthcoming. So perhaps Mark Rolfing's statement is true when they have it shaved down for tournament conditions but not at other times - that still means there is no point in having that back, back tee, though if it's effectively just there for the pros...seems like an utter waste of time and money.

I disagree.  My one and only play at Kapalua was during the month of October and I eagled the 18th with a driver and 5 wood to the green and I am not long.

Wouldn't common sense have told Rolfing that if adding tee boxes doesn't matter then there is no reason to add them?  Why would they still build them if they don't alter the play of the hole?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back