News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Mountaintop, Wade Hampton or Diamond Creek
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »
State your case for which is the best among the bunch.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Keith OHalloran

Re: Mountaintop, Wade Hampton or Diamond Creek
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »
JC,
It seems that no one has played all of these courses. I have never played any. Would you mind speaking to some of their playing characteristics? I have played some mountain courses in NY and PA,  are there any comparisons to be made?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »
I am lost too. Please provide more information as to what you are looking for.

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:09:28 PM »
I have played them.  Wade Hampton is best IMHO if it is not wet.
Otherwise Grandfather beats them all....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:15:58 PM »
JC,
It seems that no one has played all of these courses. I have never played any. Would you mind speaking to some of their playing characteristics? I have played some mountain courses in NY and PA,  are there any comparisons to be made?

KO,

Perhaps you should expand your horizons beyond The Hamptons.  The fact that nobody commented in 15 minutes on New Years Day doesn't concern me, plenty of people here have played at least 2 of the 3.

Tiger and all,

These are 3 Fazio courses all in the North Carolina Mountains and all ranked in the Golf Digest Top 100.  Wade is currently 17th, Mountaintop 74 and Diamond Creek 87.  Wade opened in the 80's and represents Fazio's earlier works while MT and DC opened in the recent decade and reflect his modern work.

I'm curious to see whether Wade is worthy of its high ranking or if the modern efforts are under-appreciated.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 09:26:41 PM »
Jason

Can't speak for the other twoi but Wade is very special.  Very.  Worth going out of the way for..

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
CJ,

I agree on Wade.  I had the fortune of playing there and Mountaintop this past Spring.  Wade is pure class.

John Shimp

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »
Havent played wh. I like dc much more than mt. More intimate course.  Walkable, Really nice set of greens. I think dc is a more lively course. The ball bounces around and into the greens better. The land is on a bit of a side hill there and drives and approaches kick off the ground which is fun. It usually isnt wet which is nice. I cant remember all the holes though but i like the place  

Mt is scenic with a ton of typical cart climbs up hill to tee down. There are quite a few cool holes 5, 9, 15 but some i can barely recall. In my opinion, 6-11 is a poor stretch wteo 9.  The finish is good with the par 3 17 th being the weakest.  Mt is a cart course with isolated holes for the most part. Beautiful to look at but the golf course plays in a straightforward fashion with some risk reward tee shots on par 4s being the most exciting aspects.  

Both are excellently conditioned with great food and amenities and service.  They would provide a great experience to raters as they are totally high end and nice to be at.   I dont believe either is a top 100 us course.   I like Grandfather better.   Grandfather is more demanding and captivating to play than dc or mt, is walkable while providing scenic isolated mtn holes that are very memorable other than the stretch. 2-4 which can be a slog although i like each hole on its own, and has a great set of greens.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »
I have played them.  Wade Hampton is best IMHO if it is not wet.
Otherwise Grandfather beats them all....

Agreed

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 11:31:52 PM »
I have played Wad Hampton and Diamond Creek a least three times and Mountaintop once about five years ago.  I like them all for different reasons.  I remember Mountaintop the least. It felt more like a resort than a club.  I found the terrain to be the most extreme of the three, though not as extreme as nearby Balsam Mt.  It is wonderful course and I could play it on a regular basis and enjoy it.  It just doesn't make my heart sing.

Wade Hampton is a wonderful club and the course is exemplary.  I think it starts out slowly but builds throughout the round.  I am not sure if it is top 100 material.

Diamond Creek is my favorite of the three.  It is routed brilliantly and has great variation throughout the course.  It is picturesque and rewards both accuracy and length.  It also demands good strategy.  The clubhouse is perfect. Dinner at Artisinal's makes for a complete day.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 11:42:39 PM »
Now I understand. Wade Hampton is the best imho. I do not think it is 17 though. Many feel it is the best of the best Fazio anywhere.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 12:33:21 AM »
I think Mike Strantz had a lot to do with Wade Hampton when he was working for Fazio
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »
I haven't played any of those, but really don't care for mountain golf where you have to ride.   I loved Country Club of Sapphire Valley near Cashiers (and Wade Hampton) because it was quite walkable.   I'm sure Highlands must be reasonably walkable because it's from the Classic Age.   What other mountain courses can be walked?

BCrosby

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
Bill -

Highlands is very walkable. I prefer it to either WH or MT. WH's high ranking has always mystified me. Haven't played DC.

Bob

John Shimp

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 10:22:40 AM »
In NC, Linville and Roaring Gap are both great walking courses.  Linville is private but has access through the Eseeola Lodge.  It is a terricfic place all the way around.  Unfortunately I believe Linville's policy is no walking for members or guests of the lodge until after 5pm.  So tough to walk.  Roaring Gap is totally private and is a great treat in every way.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 11:47:19 AM »
Bill:

Already mentioned on this thread, but Grandfather is by far the easiest walk of any of the courses mentioned thus far.   My son and I walk somewhere around 80-90% of our rounds there.  (the exceptions being when we have guests who don't wish to walk).  I will say this as well, Grandfather is a MUCH more enjoyable experience on foot than in a cart.  

Best,

Bart

P.S.  As to the original question, all 3 courses are enjoyable and fun.  Diamond Creek with its perfect maintenance meld (truly firm and fast), well thought out strategies, tighter routing and club atmosphere is my favorite of the three.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:55:27 PM by Bart Bradley »

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
Thanks for chiming in, Bart.  I was hoping you'd do so considering I know how well you know the NC mountain golf.  I've heard wonderful things about Highlands, Linville, Grandfather and Roaring Gap.  They certainly provide a compliment/contrast to the Fazio developments.  I'd also throw in Hendersonville CC.  It is quite a sporty old Ross, though I imagine it is a bear to walk.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 11:33:08 AM »
Jason, next time I come to Musgrove, we should do a NC Mt trip. I have played most of them. I agree about Grandfather. But there a others that are worth the trip.  I probably will be down in May. We have guys at MM who are members at DC, Elk River, and have access to to Wade Hampton.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JC Jones

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Tommy,

Sounds like a great plan!  We missed you at the maiden voyage but I should have my Mill game rounded into form by May.  Expect to give lots of strokes.

Dan Kettler

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 10:25:44 PM »
Have admired from not so far, but sounds like a great long weekend if you throw in a couple others...Grandfather, etc.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back