News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Your 12 Favorite Quirky Holes
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2012, 07:30:08 AM »
I think the other reason that quirk is so well liked in some corners is that many of us are simply starved for something different than all the cookie cutter "modern" courses we've played.   The ODG had to work with what they were given and couldn't easily bulldoze odd land forms.  They also weren't constrained by those pesky environmental and safety issues.  It may have taken us the better part of a century to figure out that this wasn't always a bad thing. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2012, 07:55:36 AM »
Doesn't the presence of a bell insinuate quirk? I recall the bell on the back nine at Pete Dye GC and cannot remember if it was necessary to ring it for practical reasons or spiritual ones.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2012, 08:21:59 AM »
Doesn't the presence of a bell insinuate quirk? I recall the bell on the back nine at Pete Dye GC and cannot remember if it was necessary to ring it for practical reasons or spiritual ones.

Practical with spiritual implications.  (How about that one, huh?!?!)

It comes at the end of the blind short par 4.  You can drive the green from the tee, but you can't see the green.  Ring the bell when you are clear...so the next group can have a "go" at it.

Another great Dye course/hole.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:28:16 AM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jim McCann

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2012, 08:28:19 AM »
How about 12 SUCCESSIVE quirky holes?

Look no further than the old-fashioned 12 hole Shiskine course on the Isle of Arran...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »
Thanks, Mac. We rang that bell joyfully. Terrific hole, green just around the bend, right? Immediately preceding the par three?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2012, 08:43:06 AM »
Thanks, Mac. We rang that bell joyfully. Terrific hole, green just around the bend, right? Immediately preceding the par three?

Yep...you got it.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Simon Holt

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »
John

Thanks for responding.

Imagine if you will, the dip in front of the 18th at Brora filled up with water such that it was a pond, or maybe even scrub, would that make it more conventional and less quirky ? Perhaps what is quirky for you here is the use of a run off as a "hazard" where perhaps with more fast and firm conditions over here that type of idea isn't as novel. Granted you perhaps don't get as many big swales or depressions as the one fronting the 18th Brora but the idea isn't unique, its basically a plateau green like many you see at Dornoch (various), Silloth (13th and 16th), Muirfield (13th ?), Renaissance (par 4 uphill 12th ?) etc.   

Now the 1st at NB has perhaps two qualities that you touch upon that might be worth discussing as being quirky. The first is the width of the fairway, or to be more exact the width of the 1st and 18th fairways together. While not common this is not unique with TOC being the obvious example and if you ignore the bit of scruffy rough between the the two fairways you effectively have a double fairway at the 1st/18th at NB's other course, The Glen.

The second point you make is the truncated nature of the drive, which as you say is similar to Prestwick. I've never played with you but I saw you play a few shots at Dornoch and you've clearly got a very good swing, a very nice striker of the ball and someone no doubt used to playing from the middle of the fairway. Personally I prefer, or rather am required, to guddle my way round the course and am not adverse to playing from the rough which sometimes is the better option not only for the line in but because the ball sometimes sits up better in the rough. Having played NB about half a dozen times I've come to the conclusion I'm better off hitting long at that hole and playing my second from the gulley or side of the bank (or even the beach) rather than 50 yards further back down the fairway. In that sense, I simply don't see the hole the way you do. I'd be interested to hear from Simon as to how the members commonly play this hole. I suspect the better players probably play it the way you do while us mere mortals go the other way.

Niall 

Hi Niall and John, and happy NY to everyone.

Into the wind we will always lay up of the path which is around a 180 shot from the medal tee.  Downwind I would now probably always have a pop with the driver.  95% of locals would still always lay up- in something serious like the club championship or the like I would never hit driver.

Growing up absolutely no one went for the green as the area beyond the path was poorly maintained, very sandy and you never caught a good lie.  Now that area is really nice to hit off so as long as you are not in the rock outcrop on the hill or on the beach it is not too tough a pitch onto the green, just very hard to judge.

What I will say is that the number of birdies on 1 is far less than you would imagine for a 314 yarder.  I reckon I have played easily over 1000 rounds and probably birdied it less than Redan.  No one thinks of it as a weak hole.

The green is only just behind Redan as the most difficult to putt on at the upper section.  Everyone talks about 16 but it is getting on that green that is the trouble, not putting once on it.

I would probably class the environment as quirky rather than the hole but I know where John is coming from.....and he did have a nice bird.

S
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Doug Wright

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »
The Klondyke, Dell, and 13 at Dooks belong on any quirky list.

Agree with these three and the mention of #15 at Boat of Garten. I'd also nominate #14 at The Island (narrowest fairway anywhere) and a couple Engh holes: #14 at Redlands Mesa and #12 at Fossil Trace (with stone pillers blocking the path to the green). There are also a few Dell-type holes at Engh's Four Mile Ranch in Canon City, CO.   

I'm surprised with some of the holes included in this thread. For example, I never thought of #6 at Pacific Dunes as quirky; #9 and the greensite at #8 are moreso IMO.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back