News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re: The Oh Wow Second Shot
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »
The best in Philly that i can think of is #18 at philly cricket.  what else comes close?
18th at Merion or 18th at Lookaway??

The history of the second shot at Merion always has me thinking of Hogan.  Lookaway is just a nice shot to a pretty green.

Add Huntingdon Valley's 18th and the 2nd on the C-Nine.
16th at Manufacturers'
18th at Gulph Mills

A few sleepers:

The 13th at Jeffersonville
The 5th at Merion West
The 12th at Lederach

Bill Brightly

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2011, 06:46:35 PM »
Hard to argue with Pebble #8 as the winner, and NSW #5 has to be a top choice. If you made a category WITHOUT water, I'd say The Old Course #17 and Old Macdonald's Road Hole. Really, any good Road Hole fits the bill.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2011, 07:29:02 PM »
The best in Philly that i can think of is #18 at philly cricket.  what else comes close?
18th at Merion or 18th at Lookaway??

The history of the second shot at Merion always has me thinking of Hogan.  Lookaway is just a nice shot to a pretty green.

Add Huntingdon Valley's 18th and the 2nd on the C-Nine.
16th at Manufacturers'
18th at Gulph Mills

A few sleepers:

The 13th at Jeffersonville
The 5th at Merion West
The 12th at Lederach

Very good choices sir . May i add the 17TH at Ledgerock. I have had the great fortune to play alot of Philly courses and this one is, IMHO, a winner. I know some on this site think it is too hard but I respectfully disagree.

Jeffersonville is a hidden gem. A great track at a bargain price. A fellow rater turned me onto it. What a blast.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »
Ed:

Allan FitzGerald, Ledgerock's superintendent, contributes to this discussion board. I've not played it.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2011, 07:40:18 PM »
Ed:

Allan FitzGerald, Ledgerock's superintendent, contributes to this discussion board. I've not played it.
[/quot

lets fix that   soon
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mike_Cocking

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2012, 04:27:02 AM »
What about an "Oh Baby" hole?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shjHrZST59U

One of my favourite shots from a very cool dude....and probably on an "Oh Wow" second shot hole too!

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2012, 10:17:36 AM »
There are a few at Tobacco Road such as 1, 9, 10, 11, 13 & 18.

Dub_ONeill

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »
What about an "Oh Baby" hole?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shjHrZST59U

One of my favourite shots from a very cool dude....and probably on an "Oh Wow" second shot hole too!

I was watching that shot with my wife whose response to Freddy's exclamation was: "every woman in America just went weak in the knees."

don_bartlett

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
I echo Howard's mention of #11 at Arcadia Bluffs.  My personal fav would be #11 at Sawgrass. 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2012, 08:39:49 AM »
Surprised not many have mentioned Fishers Island's 4th Alps / Puncnchbowl ?

NSW 5th for mine takes the cake.

ed_getka

« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »
I'll second the 6th at Lahinch...The 2nd at the Klondyke (after a good drive) is wow for a different reason.

How bout Kingsley number 2  ;)
Good choice on Kingsley. ;D
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »
For Oh Wow second shot I would choose #8 at Pebble. I can still remember 20 years later standing in the fairway with a 4-iron thinking how on earth am I going to get this shot onto that green that appears to be the size of the hood of a VW Bug that is perched on the edge of a cliff above the Pacific Ocean and the gaping chasm you fly your shot over.
   #5 NSW is absolutely spectacular looking and I would imagine it is rare that the traveling golfer doesn't have their photograph taken there. I know I did.
    I particularly like the second at #3 Fishers, but unfortunately you don't realize how daunting the miss can be the first time you play it.
    The approach at #5 Bandon Dunes is pretty special.
   A lot of possibilities for this idea.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »
The Road Hole provided something of an "Oh wow" moment when I first rounded the corner of the hotel/OB.

It's not exactly the most intimidating approach shot, but the second shot to #13 at Caledonia is pretty neat in that way.  Sharp dogleg-left, shorter par 4 where you pass a big oak on the left and into view heaves a green almost completely surrounded by a big waste bunker.

The first glimpse of the opening green at Pinehurst No. 2, knowing that the next 17 are going to be that shape and similarly difficult to hit.  Ditto the first glimpse of the first green at Yale.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Doug Wright

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »
Holes where you can't see the green off the tee and then hit the crest for the downhill second shot are certainly one of my favourite features on a golf course. Pine Valley #4 and #13 are terrific in this regard. I also like #11 at Bandon Trails and can't imagine how cool it would be to have the second shot into #11 at ANGC.  I'd think the second shot into #18 at Congressional would be cool too. Honorable mention to the second shot into #18 at Castle Pines GC. The amphitheatre setting with the clubhouse behind is well done there.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2012, 03:21:02 PM »
Tim: I agree about 13 at Caledonia.  When we rounded the corner we said "That's where this green is!" since we had seen photographs of the complex.  It's really a striking visual, what with the steps into the bunkers and all.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back