News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

M. Shea Sweeney

Where the wild things are...
« on: December 24, 2011, 11:04:32 PM »
Lets hear about some 'wild' holes or courses.

Ted Harris

Re: Where the wild things are...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 04:43:27 AM »
Cruit Island

Always Windy, Blind Shots , Quirky Holes , Remote , Road to the Course not really wide enough for 2 way traffic !!! Extremely Rugged Landscape.....
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 04:48:53 AM by Ted Harris »

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 12:18:28 PM »
Cruit Island

Always Windy, Blind Shots , Quirky Holes , Remote , Road to the Course not really wide enough for 2 way traffic !!! Extremely Rugged Landscape.....

+1 cruit
Otway
Gweedore
White Witch jamaica
goat Hill
Brora
Mach Dunes
Pennarrd
Machrie
barra
Isla of harris
Askernish
Narin and Portnoo 15 years ago
Porthmadog
Bulls bay, Wales
Nefyn
Mulranny
cardigan
Perranporth
Carne
Ballybunion Cashen
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 12:22:45 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »
Painswick.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »
Blueberry Hill and Coudersport, NW Pennsylvania
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Philippe Binette

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 03:17:45 PM »
North Berwick West
Tarbat

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 04:38:18 PM »
The best we have managed [so far] is Barnbougle Dunes.

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
The course itself is by no means wild, but the 14th hole at Lane Creek in Georgia is a 300 yard par 4 with a WILD green that in my estimation may make it my favorite hole in the state.

Next time I play it I will try to bring a camera and post some photos.  it is amazing how much strategy and interest a well conceived green complex can inject into a hole.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 05:15:01 PM »
I think I'd call 6 at Pac Dunes wild. 

17 at Longshadow.

There is a hole at Southshore that plays, essentially, from one small mountiain/hill top to another mountain/hill top.  I think it is 11...it is a par 3...it is pretty cool and wild.

Askernish 12...dual fairway par 5 with a blind tee shot or a blind approach...green slants away...pretty wild.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »
I am surprised noone has mentioned Kingsley...there are a number of wild features there...#9 certainly counts.

Lahinch and Prestwick also came to mind right away.

#1 at Tobacco Road is pretty wild.

Old Linville has a couple of sincerely wild greens as does the Fazio course at Treetops (speaking of which the Threetops course is as wild as they come)

I also immediately thought of 7 of the 9 greens on the short course at Morfontaine...WILD man, wild in the very best of ways.

Maurice Sendak is way cool  8).

Bart

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 08:55:03 AM »
Dunaverty, Scotland...a delightful,quirky rollick!
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

BCrosby

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 09:15:54 AM »
Good call on Mike Young's Lane Creek. Lots of good holes there. I need to revisit. It's been too long.

Bob

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 09:29:01 AM »
Merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah, and best wishes to everyone in the new year...

I agree with Kingsley being on this list, but I admit I am one of the ones on this board that loves that place for everything that it is and at the same time for everything that it is not.

The front nine at Kingsley to me is an amazing roller coaster of holes - both literally and figuratively.

For my game, there are so many potential 'others' over the first nine that by the time I head up the hill to the clubhouse for a gatorade and trail mix my head is often spinning - most always in a good way.  I know some here don't like the transition that is 10 and 11 - but to me it is a nice change in tempo and sets me up for what 12-15 are to bring.

The most 'wild' holes to me here are - #1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 13, 17, & 18.  My favorite among the lot are #2, 6, & 13.  My least favorite is #17. 

One of my favorite holes on the course isn't what I would put in the truly wild category - that is #3.  I love the angles off the tee and the variety in which the hole plays based on the hole location.  I really love this green.

Kingsley to me is the course that I can finish on the 18th green and make a quick left turn up to #1 and start all over again and never get bored...

As Christmas is now behind us and we are staring 3 months of suspect weather here in the north - I can only look forward to my next round out there next spring and hopefully figure out a better way to approach #15...

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »
Corballis near Dublin...

Enormously fun municipal links course under 5,000 yards right next door to The Island... Some GREAT shots, some GREAT holes... This is one everyone passes up on because they've never heard of it... Some truly wild stuff on this course

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 10:20:02 AM »

There is a course outside of Aberdeen that has a lot of neet stuff.

Anthony

Mark McKeever

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 11:54:08 AM »
When I think of wild, the first course that comes to mind is Yale.  There is a lot of wild and bold stuff out there!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back