News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Blaisdell

Re: I got a phone call last night--------------
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 11:48:12 AM »
John
  This happened back in the late 90's. I would have to back in my files to find the qualifier in question. I know what the qualifier was and where it was conducted but I rarely keep results, I usually keep the local rules sheet and the official's assignment sheets but for the results I would probably have to contact the MGA or Golf House for that info.
  John , to be quite honest, I really don't care to do that. It's not important to me in that sense. I feel for the man and the pain he's carried all these years, the fact that he has let this situation weigh so heavily on his mind leads me to leave it as is. Just a sad situation in every sense but as many have already stated, if the man finds some peace in our phone conversation, then I'm good with that .
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Anthony Gray

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »

I need to ask my oncology friend if golf causes cancer.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »
John
  This happened back in the late 90's. I would have to back in my files to find the qualifier in question. I know what the qualifier was and where it was conducted but I rarely keep results, I usually keep the local rules sheet and the official's assignment sheets but for the results I would probably have to contact the MGA or Golf House for that info.
  John , to be quite honest, I really don't care to do that. It's not important to me in that sense. I feel for the man and the pain he's carried all these years, the fact that he has let this situation weigh so heavily on his mind leads me to leave it as is. Just a sad situation in every sense but as many have already stated, if the man finds some peace in our phone conversation, then I'm good with that .

Good, it's not like he went on to win and play in the Masters.

I find it interesting how you say you investigate these disputes fully.  Do you feel like you failed the man somehow by believing his lie?  Have you ever called against a player when you thought he was lying?  Does a golfer who lies get the benefit of the doubt if all other things are equal?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »
I've got my regrets in life for a few stupid/selfish things I've done over the years. But I sure wish to hell they were only as minor as this...

At least the guy got it off his chest, regardless of how insignificant it is in the grand scheme of things!!

P.S.  And yes, I was that guy on the basketball court who always owned up to my fouls...even if the ref didn't call it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 12:07:02 PM »
Everyone who calls a penalty on themselves are not saints.  I remember once a caddie who moved a twig near my ball in a poorly marked hazard just as I was walking up.  It was the third hole of the day and the bets were still low so I called the penalty as my caddie begged me to let it go.  My motives were two fold, one, I was sick and tired of a poorly trained caddie corps and felt this was the best way to prove my point.  And two, it gave me an opening to press in a game where I was clearly favored.  I'm sure it doubled my winnings.

Bobby Jones did the same thing by calling this penalty on himself.  Golfers and men must build trust equity and put it in the bank at every opportunity.  There will come a time to cash in and, as the Bible says, the rewards will be seven fold.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 12:10:38 PM »
I thank Pete for sharing the story.  It has many sides and means different things to different people, depending on their own value system.  

In a way, to me, it has sort of the flavor of the theme behind Dickens Scrooge in "A Christmas Carol".  The theme of atonement, repair of the soul, has many versions in literature.  This poor fellow hears the sound of 'angels wings' and is trying to put things right.  If we all have the misfortune of being handed this sort of highly defined time line= death sentence like this cancer, as compared to being hit by lightening, most will have some sort of opportunity to put transgressions right.  I've seen some men die peaceful and happily resigned to accept a next step, or no step.  And, I've seen some panicked and tortured souls pass to a fearful place.  

But, I think it is good that we share stories like this, for all of our sakes...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

JR Potts

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »
Everyone who calls a penalty on themselves are not saints.  I remember once a caddie who moved a twig near my ball in a poorly marked hazard just as I was walking up.  It was the third hole of the day and the bets were still low so I called the penalty as my caddie begged me to let it go.  My motives were two fold, one, I was sick and tired of a poorly trained caddie corps and felt this was the best way to prove my point.  And two, it gave me an opening to press in a game where I was clearly favored.  I'm sure it doubled my winnings.

Bobby Jones did the same thing by calling this penalty on himself.  Golfers and men must build trust equity and put it in the bank at every opportunity.  There will come a time to cash in and, as the Bible says, the rewards will be seven fold.

This may be your best post over.  Just classic....  Where do you come up with this shit?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »

This may be your best post over.  Just classic....  Where do you come up with this shit?

I have been blessed with an interesting and full life.  I still remember my opponents on the forth tee arguing that I could not press because I called the penalty on myself and they did not see the infraction.   My poor caddie had to testify to his own stupidity for the penalty to stand.  I believe he learned a lesson he will never forget.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 12:37:59 PM »
I guess I'd better make sure that my wife has unlimited text and voice on her cell phone.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John_Cullum

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »
Did he mention if he called his fellow competitor to confess to him as well?
Raynor was a hack

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »
P.S.  And yes, I was that guy on the basketball court who always owned up to my fouls...even if the ref didn't call it.

That's pretty much how all pickup hoops is played. No refs, an occasional fight, but mostly a beautiful game.

Hope I don't get any phone calls like the one above.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »
Looks like John needs more Bible study time and less GCA chit-chat.

The actual saying is this:

Proverbs 6:30-31

30People do not despise a thief if he steals
   to satisfy his appetite when he is hungry,
31but if he is caught, he will pay sevenfold;
   he will give all the goods of his house.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 02:22:01 PM »
Wow... just wow.

Thanks for sharing Pete.

Are you ok with me sharing this story outside of GCA?   I think it would be a great story to tell some young golfers

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »
John
  I have no idea if he did and it did cross my mind to ask but I did not feel it was my place to ask. It was a very emotional conversation and I was being very careful to not say the wrong thing. There were many long pauses in the conversation. It was probably a seven or eight minute talk that took twenty minutes. I let him do most of the talking because he obviously knew more about the situation than I did. I'm still trying to remember. I know the course and the competition .I'm fuzzy on the time and the actual situation. I've made 1000's of rulings in 34 years and I just can't get a handle on it. Maybe it will come to me if I don't try so hard.

Mark
  Go ahead, I've already shared most of the details with a number of people.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 02:54:28 PM »
Too bad the USGA didn't change that stupid rule 20 years ago, instead of finally getting around to it for next year -- the poor guy would have lived a much more peaceful life.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:31:54 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 02:56:27 PM »
Pete - you sound like a very compassionate and thoughtful fellow.  I'm glad that dying man was fortunate enought to have you on the other end of the line.

Peter

Mark Johnson

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »
noone has asked, but i assume he qualfied for the PubLinx as a result of this incident?   Did that ever come up in the conversation?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
To bad the USGA didn't change that stupid rule 20 years ago, instead of finally getting around to it for next year -- the poor guy would have lived a much more peaceful life.

Absurd rule, indeed.

The more I think about this story, though, the more the man's mindset confuses me.

I wonder if the medication was playing a part in the gravity with which he associated the crime. Does nearing death / ensuing treatment cause a man to attribute importance to certain things which really have little in the grand scheme of things?

Brian I’m left wondering why you and John K are intent on writing a back story to this, instead of accepting it for a really touching story as told by Pete?

I think most feel the same way.  Humbled to read of a guy on his death bed who wants to make amends; appropriately for here, it concerns golf.  We feel for him and his wife. Amen.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 04:33:45 PM »
Brian I never thought you were shit stirring.  It just seems to me that many of us who read it are older than you and it just stopped us in our tracks.

It’s funny where each of us places our values.  “Just a game”, “it’s only work”.  It seems to me Pete’s tale is a microcosm of Citizen Kane, his Rosebud if you like. We can never fully understand why he recalled this, but it meant a lot to him.

I only hope his wife found some solace in helping him.  Perhaps she even found some understanding as to why e suddenly gave up golf and that must have informed her more about her man.

But now I’m writing a back story and I prefer to contemplate what I find is a rich tale and I’m happy to think about the facts Pete presents us with.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »
My point is: It's only a game

Brian...with all due respect, I disagree.  It is a way of life.  And not just golf, we live our lives to be representative of who we are.  That is, EVERYTHING we do in our life should reflect who we are and what are values are; golf included.  Obviously, this man loved golf and feel he betrayed it with his actions.  Of course, we all make mistakes...but we should strive to correct them as best we can.  This man finally did.  I say good for him.

Kind of a mantra of mine...

"no such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time, all you got is life time"

Name the band and the song for a free round of golf at The 'mont.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
My point is: It's only a game

Brian...with all due respect, I disagree.  It is a way of life.  And not just golf, we live our lives to be representative of who we are.  That is, EVERYTHING we do in our life should reflect who we are and what are values are; golf included.  Obviously, this man loved golf and feel he betrayed it with his actions.  Of course, we all make mistakes...but we should strive to correct them as best we can.  This man finally did.  I say good for him.

Kind of a mantra of mine...

"no such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time, all you got is life time"

Name the band and the song for a free round of golf at The 'mont.

Ummm, lets see!!

Artist is Henry Rollins
Song is Shine

;D  I cheated, I googled it

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »
Looks like John needs more Bible study time and less GCA chit-chat.

The actual saying is this:

Proverbs 6:30-31

30People do not despise a thief if he steals
   to satisfy his appetite when he is hungry,
31but if he is caught, he will pay sevenfold;
   he will give all the goods of his house.

I can't tell you how insulting I find it that you think I ever attended "Bible study".  The number seven is a common number throughout the Bible and the human condition. Do something good or bad and it comes back sevenfold. Quite simple actually.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2011, 08:06:19 PM »
This is a subject where there are general thoughts but no right and wrong. I have found in my case when you are facing death or should I say the prospect of death, it does create introspective thoughts. It certainly could easily bring one to want to make peace so to speak with things in their life they were uncomfortable with. The man above clearly had a rules moment so very out of character for him that i haunted him. I am glad he found a way to ease the guilt and give a feeling that he was addressing his death with his head high.  In my case I have always found a way to convince myself that I will survive and getting ones affairs in order is just good business. I have not faced that moment where all doubt is removed and one is 30 to 60 days from death like the man here. Bless him

Frank M

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »
I understand that this is a discussion board about golf, but I am somewhat surprised at the reactions to this gentlemans actions.

The fact that this story involves golf doesn't mean the story is about golf and I don't understand how we can judge this man and his own feelings of guilt or even whether his feelings of guilt are warranted or not.

It seems to me this is a story of simple morality. I think the man called not because he broke a rule in golf, but because he needed to get this instance of dishonesty off his chest...its about morals and his behavior towards other human beings not the power of golf or golf in and of itself.  

Everyone deals with disease, sickness and death in different ways and for me to sit here and judge someone who believes himself to be on his death bed who is going through the necessary steps he feels he needs to follow to put himself at peace would be the true problem....not this man calling to make amends.

Maybe I'm just a sympathetic guy, but he did what he felt he needed to do.

All I can do and will do is hope the best for this gentleman and for everyone in general. I have enough things to worry about in my own life than to spend time judging others.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 08:48:01 PM »
Wow... just wow.

Thanks for sharing Pete.

Are you ok with me sharing this story outside of GCA?   I think it would be a great story to tell some young golfers

What exactly do you think young golfers can learn from this story?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back