News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

GBoring

Re: The practical realities of maintaining bunker entrances at fairway height
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 02:52:45 PM »
Tom,

It is costing us more due to the size of the chipping areas not because of the style.  Before the renovation we were walkmowing all of our chipping area.  They have been significantly increased in size.  I feel keeping a light mower on those edges are the key to keeping the edges.   We mow these areas with a Flex 21 due to the amount of contours.  We have heavy clay soils that have been modfied over time with heavy topdressng.  One thing I am going to do differently is topdress these areas with a dirtier mix.  Perhaps a 6-2-2 just to add a little of organic on these edges.  Also keep in mind we are in Scranton, PA at 1600 feet of elevation.  We don't see to many +85 degree days. 

Anthony_Nysse

Re: The practical realities of maintaining bunker entrances at fairway height
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 04:14:02 PM »
I was looking back at some of my photos and noticed that Southern Hills does a really nice job at cutting their bunkers tight and sharp right up to the edges both in the fairways....

...and greenside...

I know when Russ Myers was there, they were having to walk mow these edges at fairway height to not worry about the edge collasping from the weight of the fairway mow and also not to have to worry about tire marks rutting the turf from mowing in the same spot over and over and over..
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back