News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Creating Old MacDonald- Now Available
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 10:27:26 AM »
Michael R

I am not savy on the lingo, but I know some dvds can only be played in certain markets.  Is the dvd suitable for the English market?

Ciao

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:30:06 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Garland Bayley

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 10:28:27 AM »
John,

Better they got your commentary than a pithy commentary from a contrarian engineer along the lines of "It's alright."
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Warren

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 05:11:12 AM »
Mayhugh,

Those that haven't played Old Macdonald need to do so.  Maybe the comments in the film will then make a bit more sense.

No doubt it does make this golfer who hasn't seen Old Mac want to do so. Every time I watch the film I have a renewed desire to get there ASAP, even moreso after playing National and Yale last Sept.

The player comments toward the end are a real highlight, because the enthusiasm is palpable. That and the obvious passion of Tom and Jim to make the Old Mac templates deserving stablemates of Macdonald's versions are the most exciting thing about it all for me.

The funny thing is, until Michael mentioned the old lady on the adjoining bench at North Berwick, I'd never noticed her, now she stands out like a beacon!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:13:45 AM by Scott Warren »

PThomas

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2012, 07:24:52 PM »
got my copy today, and it is terrific
197 played, only 3 to go!!

William_G

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2012, 03:32:39 PM »
Great DVD!!! Great content...really makes me want to go out and play Old Mac asap.

Now all you need is theTrails architectural DVD to be made and sold for $10.

It's all about the golf!

Jim Johnson

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2012, 12:53:35 AM »
This just arrived in the mail today, and after work tonight I plugged it in and plopped myself down for a nice relaxing look at how a real golf course should be created.

Michael, I'm extremely impressed with the video, particularly when compared to the first two videos of the creation of Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes. Much longer also, which doesn't hurt for us GCA junkies. In particular, I think that the cinematography is exceptional. The images as they are presented give the viewer a great perspective of the holes out there, and how they came to be. The script is very well done, in how the film flows through various "chapters" much like a good read on a rainy day, one of those books that you just can't put down, you want to read right through from start to finish. And for us GCA'ers it's very interesting to see those "chapters" of certain holes which were built - the Alps, Redan, Biarritz, Road Hole, etc.

It's also interesting how you did the sequences between the U.S. and the U.K., I thought that was smart and was very well done. And it's enlightening listening in on the discussions between Mike, Tom, and Jim.

I found the price of the DVD intriguing - $10 for this thing is unbelievable (and sad that postage to Canada was $15, for a "$10" item). I paid, what, $30(?) for each of the other two Bandon videos and there is just no comparison - this one is head and shoulders above the others. The video quality is outstanding, and it's nice that there's 5.1 Surround as an audio option.

Overall, absolutely great work Michael. You really haven't left out anything, it's all there and all done extremely well. A tip of the hat to you and your crew. Congratulations.

Here's hoping that we'll see more from you like this, and like William has said, hopefully the Trails is on the agenda.

Jim

Michael Robin

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2012, 02:30:59 AM »
Wow Jim! Thx for the kind words and great review! I really appreciate your breakdown of my film. It's very rewarding when you get that kind of feedback.

Re cinematography, we shot the piece 1080 24p. Most HiDef sports is shot at 60fps, but I wanted this to feel like a film, hence the 24fps.

Re Trails, be fun to do something like that. We have done the trailer on the Cabot Links website. Maybe Ben might make a comment about that.

Also have some feelers out on some other golf projects. Just turned in a scripted project to a cable network too. Hoping for good things with that.

Hope you enjoy the extra features we did on the dvd too!

Michael George

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2012, 06:09:03 AM »
Michael:

I also greatly enjoyed the cd and would tell everyone here that it is a must addition to the library, especially at $10.

I concur on a Trails video.  Would love a tour of the course with Coore and Crenshaw.  Would purchase it the day it is released.

Congratulations on the video's success and best of luck in the future.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Michael Robin

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »
Thanks Michael!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back