News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Re: Creating Old MacDonald- Now Available
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »
Michael, Thanks for the work you have put into this documentary.  Anyone with any interest in golf architecture should seek it out.

Now in the last week we've had someone from the Golf Channel come on here and say that nobody gives a shit about golf architecture and now Michael's story about getting blown off by TGC regarding his documentary. That should put to rest any thoughts that TGC has interest in showing anything about golf course architecture.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 01:22:58 PM »

I just want to add my appreciation of Michael's DVD. I received my copy just before Christmas and it is truly amazing, not only in content but the quality of the camera work, sound, graphics, yes everything. It was only $10 and one of the best Christmas presents ever! Michael has assembled a wonderful record of the making of a truly uniique and special course. I was able to play it for the first time at KP in March and cannot wait to get back and play it multiple times, especially after seeing "Creating Old Macdonald".

A bonus was seeing some of the GCA contributors on Opening Day, including Tim Bert, Richard Choi, Victor Santodomingo and others, but especially John Mayhugh. John, your comments were bang on and interesting! There is a reason Michael included you and it must have been the thoughtful comments coming from you.

Michael, thank you for making this film. I have had a lot of great moments thanks to GCA and the people I have met from this site and the time spent watching Old Mac was one of the best. Another was the day at Riviera with you, Dick and Jordan.

Tim Bert

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »
I just got done watching the film.  I think it is excellent. Speaks volumes about TGC that they weren't interested in this documentary. Did they even watch it before taking a pass?  It is beautifully filmed and directed.  It really gets the juices flowing to think about getting back to Bandon.

My father, who is not a golfer but is interested in watching anything being designed and built, watched the entire film with me and really enjoyed it.

Well done, Michael!

Michael Robin

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 01:53:48 AM »
Bob Crosby -

Thx for your words, they mean a lot to me. I still have remarkable footage that is only hinted at in the film. For example, I asked Tom if there were any things he wanted to do or make sure were in the film, and he said he thought it would be useful if he showed how he came up the routing. He got a topo and his markers, and then we went to the conference room on the first floor of the Lodge at Bandon, and for 30 minutes Tom gave a remarkable dissertation on how he routed Old Macdonald. He gave credit to Jim Urbina for his contributions, including his solves of the placement of the Alps, and relived his discussion with Mike about how they could put the 7th green up on the bluff, thus solving where to put the Biarittz, which up to that time didn't fit right in the plan. Brad Klein was sitting on the floor listening and I looked back at him and we both shook our heads at how historic it felt to watch this Master Architect demonstrate his craft. When it came time to put this in the film, I knew it wouldn't hold up for the viewer in the long form, so I used some compression techniques to basically summarize what Tom said, but I still have the 30 minute version. I tried to put it into the DVD extras, but with the full length version I ran out of bit room on the disc, which would have meant going to a second DVD, so I left it out of the final product. Still trying to figure out what to do with this footage for the ages.

Another stunning moment occurred after we were at the Redan at North Berwick. I had been pestering Tom and Jim about sitting down for a formal interview on a bunch of topics. I had been working by using a "Fly on the wall" technique up to then where I would give my subjects a rough starting point in terms of topic, put them at a certain location(Road hole, Hell Bunker, etc...) and then let them go and I would record whatever came out of their mouths. But, I had a huge list of questions ready that I needed answers for. Tom plopped down on one of the long ancient benches that border the Children's Course while we waited for the crew to pack up their gear and he just started talking. Jim walked over and sat down at the other end of the bench and they started riffing about how remarkable North Berwick was. I told them to both stop talking while I ran over with Mike Weiss, one of my Producers,  and we helped our crew get cameras in place to do my big interview. We set up in about two minutes and started asking questions and what followed was a stunning, organic discussion that was about their profession, the project, Macdonald and their personal lives. We shot for about 75 minutes straight, alternating cameras to re-load so they would just keep going. At some point, an elderly lady came and sat with her daily newspaper and encroached on our shots. The cameramen looked at me and I said keep shooting! She was organically there, and helped make that moment even more cool and authentic. Organic and authentic were big themes in the approach to doing the piece. The proceeds of that 75 minutes feel absolutely historic. The footage is sprinkled throughout the doc. Somehow the full version needs to live on as well. Mr. Crosby, if you have any ideas, I'm all ears!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 01:56:57 AM by Michael Robin »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 06:28:04 AM »
Michael

Well done on completing same - am trying to get a copy downunder via Bandon Dunes Weborder. Look forward to seeing it.

BCrosby

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 09:19:46 AM »
Michael -

Thanks for the teasers about your raw footage. As noted, your videos are a unique historical document. Through what you have done we now have a detailed record of how one of the best architects of his generation thought through architectural problems on one of his best courses. I can think of nothing comparable. It's as if MacKenzie had a Boswell at his elbow as he inspected, cogitated about and laid out one of his courses. Except that hypothetical Boswell would have been subject to making mistakes transcribing what he saw and heard into written notes. Your footage recorded the act itself. 

Two thoughts. First, I hope you will allow the USGA to hold a copy of your raw footage for the historical record. There are ways to assure that you (or the owner of the footage) will retain full copyrights to the materials. Second, and related to the first, I'm confident that someday your footage will find a deserving commercial home. So hang in there. There is a great documentary waiting to happen. The combination of artistry, engineering and business that goes into buiding a golf course are too interesting not to find a wider audience. Particularly when it's about a high profile courses like OM, TOC and NB. If only Tom Doak looked more like Cary Grant...... ;)

Bob     

Michael Robin

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 02:01:08 PM »
Tim -

Thx for your nice words. Re your question about HD, yes it was shot 1080, 24p. I used 24p instead of 60fps so it had more of a film look instead of a sporting event. Sound wise, it's mixed Dolby 5.1. Mostly music and wind in the surround channels. The DVD was manufactured by Technicolor who does a lions share of the work for Hollywood studios in their DVD movie releases. Not cheap, but makes a huge difference in the quality of the end product. Tommy Naccarato did the artwork. Brad Klein suggested the title.

PThomas

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 02:07:29 PM »
how long is the Old Mac Video??

Michael, any way you can make copies of the North Berwick talks and sell them?
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 08:35:09 PM »
Michael,
I, too placed an order for a bunch on DVD's ( for my mates who played OM with me, and they will make great golf prizes to help spread the word!), from the Bandon website to post downunder, just arrived, fantastic service.

I think the work you have done is outstanding, really interesting subject matter and people, and as detailed above, the production values are of the highest quality, I recommend everyone on here, order one, or two! ( I also would be interested to see Part II, the cutting room floor images.

Two of my favourite moments Mike Keiser walking toward the Eden hole in the early morning mist talking about land stewardship and generations of golfing enjoyment AND Jim Urbina finishing off the punch bowl green (I think) before seeeding and driving away for the last time, bittersweet tears shows the true passion that these people put into the creation of Old Macdonald.

CONGRATUALTIONS Michael!
@theflatsticker

Ross Harmon

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 11:29:41 PM »
Just got this video this week and have watched it twice already. Will probably watch it again tomorrow. Thanks Michael, Tom, Jim, Mike and everyone else who made this DVD possible! Can't wait to play Old Mac in March!

Michael George

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 09:39:20 AM »
I watched it for the first time this past week.  It is really great and Jim is right, the special features are right up this crowd's alley.

Loved the commentary from John Mayhugh at the end.  Great effect of having an opening day video in nowhere Oregon with commentary from a guy with a southern drawl - would be cool to have a list of where people came from to see opening day.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:12:21 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Michael George

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »

Coolest part of the video was how choked up George Bahto got when describing the initial call that he received telling him that Mike Keiser wanted to build a MacDonald course.  As though it fulfilled a dream of his.   I cannot imagine how great it was for Tom Doak, Jim Urbina and Mike Keiser to work with him on this project, knowing how much it had to mean to him.  Really, really cool stuff.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »
I doubt there's anyway to buy a download or stream?

Michael Robin

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 11:42:54 PM »
Currently, the film is available only through the Bandon Dunes website or at the Pro Shop onsite at the Resort.

Thx for the nice reviews. I'm really pleased people are enjoying.

Michael George, getting to know George Bahto and have him join us that day at National was really, really amazing. A nicer man I don't know that I have met.

Michael Robin

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 12:07:58 AM »
Brett, I had spent the morning shooting Jim float the 18th green, which then handed off to Ken Nice's crew putting down the amendments before they began hydroseeding. Jim and Jonathan Reisetter walked around the green looking at what was the final design work on the project and I could really sense that there was a big sense of accomplishment from both of them. Jim then went and shook the hands of each of Ken's crew that had worked so hard on building this course. As he finished, we climbed into his truck and headed Pac Dunes to get a bite to eat. I had my digital camcorder in my lap, and I looked over and saw Jim was starting to tear up. I thought about it for a moment, and then quietly turned on my camera and pointed it at him from my lap. It was a spontaneous moment of emotion that overtook him as he thought about what it meant to have finished this great course. This was likely the last time he would be working at Bandon, and Bandon holds such a special place in his heart.  When we parked he said he needed a few minutes and he would meet us in a bit. My crew and I went up and ordered and Jim came in about 30 minutes later and apologized that he needed to just be by himself to acknowledge the end of the design/building phase of the project. I told him that I had seen his tears and recorded them with my camera and asked if it was right for the film, if I could use the footage, and he said "Well, it was real, so use it if it makes sense in your movie." That's one of my favorite moments in the film.

Michael George

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »
Michael:

Was the name solely a play on words or were they also trying to honor Old Tom Morris, who is partially responsible for MacDonald's view of golf course architecture?

Richard Choi

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
Michael, fantastic job on the video. Really top notch stuff. You know it is good when my wife is willing to watch it with me :)

This video is a MUST viewing for anyone even thinking about visiting Old Mac...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »

I bet George Bahto steals the show.

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »
And a quick search on ebay reveals no one as of yet is selling it out there....

I'll have to get a copy, looks really good.

Michael George

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2012, 02:31:25 PM »
Another great line in the video is Mayhugh telling Tom Doak that CB MacDonald would make changes to National if he saw Old Mac.    

Michael George

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »
And a quick search on ebay reveals no one as of yet is selling it out there....

I'll have to get a copy, looks really good.

Kalen:

It is only $10 on bandondunes.com.  I received the video within 4 days of ordering.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »
Another great line in the video is Mayhugh telling Tom Doak that CB MacDonald would make changes to National if he saw Old Mac.    

What's missing from the film is the look that Tom game me after my comment (kind of like "Wow, people will do anything to get invited to the Renaissance Cup").  The line sounds like a total suck-up and I have tried to explain what I meant by it. 

I was not suggesting that CBM would actually copy any feature or create some sort of new ideal hole.  I think he was intent on making NGLA the best course he possibly could, and did make alterations through the years in order to improve the course.  Old Macdonald "feels" like a sibling to NGLA.  It does not feel like a copy, and when I played there I really was not that interested in comparing so-called template holes to other locations.  I just played the course and admired the interest on pretty much every shot, the exquisite shaping, the width, and the massive greens. 

Of course, I have no idea what CBM would like or dislike about the course.  My point was really that OM is so good, and seemingly linked to NGLA by something other than "template" holes, CBM would be inspired to improve NGLA.  Not copy OM, but make NGLA just a little better in some manner to be sure that it remained the premium course in the US. 

If I had taken more time to think about my comment, it no doubt would have been clearer.  For some reason, Michael decided to keep in in the film, and he's assured me it wasn't to make me look crazy. 

Those that have not seen the film should buy it.  The biggest golf bargain I've ever seen.  Those that haven't played Old Macdonald need to do so.  Maybe the comments in the film will then make a bit more sense. 

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 12:33:19 AM »
Mr Mayhugh
I think you are being far too humble, and your suggestion you made to Mr Doak (the look he gave you I imagine would also be one of humilty) that CB would make changes after seeing OM, is entirely feasbile, that is assuming he incredously rises from the ashes of 1939 just to look at OM, I am sure with the changes in almost everything everything to do with the game (apart frm the sound philosophy's that the team used at OM) must have changed, and in that he see elements that could be changed.
Would the powers that be at NGLoA actually look to make changes ?

John, it was a classic line of someone with a great passion for the game walking off a first day, first round at a great course - you were entitled to be 'passionate', not 'crazy'! :)
@theflatsticker

Tim Bert

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 02:38:41 AM »
I think one of the bonus features on the DVD is Mayhugh Uncut - the full 20 minutes of post round gushing. It was a sight to behold and I don't mean that in a sarcastic manner. He was feeling it.

Michael George

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »
John:

I thought your comments on the video were great.  First, they were the only substantive comments from the players.  Second, I think you were right on Macdonald.  Macdonald took something from every great golf course that he played and Old Mac is a great golf course.  I think he would have been really interested in #7 and would have tried to recreate that hole at a later time (probably not NGLA though).  Also, I think he would have liked the railorad ties on the hell bunker.  Lastly, I think he would have loved the Maiden hole and tried to find place for it. 

At first, it was a little funny to hear, but it is accurate.  I do wish they would have shown Tom's response though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back