News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Creating Old MacDonald- Now Available
« on: December 06, 2011, 04:15:43 PM »
Just noticed the DVD is finally available.  Nice stocking stuffer:

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/products/old_macdonald_dvd/1144.php?page_id=10

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jackson C

Re: Creating Old MacDonald- Now Available
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 05:06:10 PM »
I know I should buy the DVD, but how much land was moved?  If not much, as I would suspect, this has to be one of the greatest sites for golf. 

The pictures look phenomenal in the course profile.  Seriously, it looks like the perfect golf course for my tastes. 
Bandon and Pacific are reasons enough to visit, but, wow, Old MacDonald moves it way up my priority visit list.
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Ross Harmon

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:05:27 AM »
Thanks for sharing! DEFINITELY a great stocking stuffer! Just sent a link to santa my wife...

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Jud.  The film is really well done, though a couple of segments probably should have been edited out (those that have seen it will know what I'm referring to). 

I really would have loved seeing this on a movie theater screen.

Jim Colton

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:40:21 AM »
The special features on the DVD are great too.

I, for one, wanted more Mayhugh, not less.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 01:10:21 PM »
The special features on the DVD are great too.

I, for one, wanted more Mayhugh, not less.

I think you would be the only one.

What sort of special features are included?

Jim Colton

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 02:40:17 PM »
They have a very detailed hole-by-hole and I believe 5 other more detailed look at some of the template features. It was probably too nerdy for the main documentary, but just perfect for this crowd!

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
Done. Got all 3 now.

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »
This is a great film. Buy it.

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 03:58:09 PM »
Done. Got all 3 now.

All 3?  What other courses are highlighted?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 08:44:08 AM »
Bandon and Pacific.
Worth the money.
Go shopping on the website. Easy to find.

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 03:15:59 PM »
Just got around to watching the DVD and it's fantastic.  The best of this type of thing that I've seen.  I know all you guys went out there for opening day to actually play the course and not to sleaze your way into the film.  ;)  Seriously well worth picking up...

P.S.  What's up with Tom sporting the dreaded double logo look?  I guess if you actually designed both courses you can get away with it... 8)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:33:28 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
I agree this DVD is very well done and probably the best I have seen to date.  I was very impressed with with the depth in the DVD including the segments filmed at other courses both in the US and in the UK.  I thought the production quality was very good and much better than the previous two Bandon DVDs.  If anyone is planning a trip out to play Old MacDonald or is just home from a trip - I highly recommend this DVD.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 08:18:16 PM »
I have not seen the DVD. The remarkable part of Old Mac to me is the how many contributors there were. Architecture by committee is not an easy thing.

David Schofield

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 11:20:16 PM »
Any idea why this one is only $10 while the others are $30?

They used to have the Bandon Dunes DVD on a loop on one of the resort's TV channels, watched it over and over and over....

Michael Robin

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 03:53:27 AM »
Hi all -

I'm the Director of this film.  I thought I'd relate some stories about the process of making this documentary.

I work in the Episodic Television business as a Producer/Director. I'm also a GD Panelist. I'd been lucky enough to meet Mr. Keiser and Mr. Doak at the Renaissance Cup at Cape Kidnappers. Lost to Mike in the quarterfinals when he birdies the last hole. I kept in touch with him over the years and one day I asked him what was new at Bandon, and he said he was just about to announce the 4th course at Bandon Dunes. It would be an homage to the work of CB Macdonald, with Tom Doak and Jim Urbina designing. I said to Mike that he should do a Documentary on this effort. It would be a remarkable opportunity to follow he and Tom and Jim,  during the prime of their careers, on a historic project. He said he was open to it and would ask Tom at their first big meeting on Halloween at The National the next week. I was very bummed the next week when Mike emailed to say that Tom didn't want to do it, primarily because during the making of Sebonack, he and Jack had been followed heavily by cameras and felt inhibited in having frank conversations.

Cut to 2 years later, and Tom and I were having a cup of coffee in LA before he was going up to Bandon to begin work on the last 4 holes of construction, and I said to him that there was still a chance to do a film about the process of making Old Macdonald. He said he was now open to it given that all the conversations that he was worried about being interrupted were complete. Tom said he would ask Mr. Keiser and get back to me. A week later, he called me at 7am on a Friday and said "If you can get a crew up here tomorrow, I'll stick around for the weekend and you can start." I told Tom I'd get back to him by 11am with an answer.  I was on my way to Riviera to host Jordan Wall and Bob Jenkins, and spent the next 3 hours trying to find a crew and figure out travel arrangements. I reached out to a friend who worked with me and came from the sports world. He found a terrific photographer that he had worked the Olympics with who lived in San Francisco, and Larry Neukum and two other crew members hit the road and drove 10 hours to Bandon to start shooting the next morning. I called Tom and said we were on, and he said ok I'll see you tomorrow. Tom later related to me that given he hadn't heard from me, he started driving to Portland to head home, but then turned around when he got my call.

Thx again for that Tom!  :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 04:35:48 AM by Michael Robin »

Michael Robin

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 04:28:17 AM »
I'm really pleased that those of you that have seen it have enjoyed it. I took a swing at finding a broadcast home, but came up empty. In fact, the two places that I thought might be the most interested were downright rude, not just to me, but to my agents at CAA who were baffled by the resistance to even call them back. When TGC finally did return, they said they just weren't in the documentary business and passed. I looked into buying the time on TGC, but it was cost prohibitive in lousy time slots. I've gone the Film Festival route with the film being an Official Selection at The Bend Film Festival and The Macau Digital Film Festival. It won the Juried Prize for Best Documentary at Macau.

While I continue to play out some Film Festival scenarios, and maybe a Broadcast home where there has been a recent regime change, I felt that sitting on this film any longer was wrong and people who love architecture should be seeing this. It's really a special thing to get to hear Tom Doak, Jim Urbina and Mike Keiser discuss what they do and how they do it, while in the primes of their design careers. One of the main drivers in me wanting to do this was for the historical record of these gentlemen. Can you imagine how we would all feel if we were able to hear MacKenzie talking about his process, or just talking off the top of his head about a certain design detail? Everyday I was with these gentlemen, and with George Bahto and Brad Klein, I could not believe my great fortune that I was there to record these historic musings, and I felt a big burden to get this right and find a way to tell a compelling story. You all tell me, but I think I did.

Regarding the $10 price tag, I asked Mr. Keiser his thoughts on price, and he consulted his team and they felt this was the right price for their patrons, so I said fine by me.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 09:12:23 AM »
Michael,
Thanks for the update on distribution of your film as well as some of the background. 

I continue to hope for a chance to see it on a large screen sometime.  I can only imagine how good it looks.  As for television - if only you had mixed in some of the drama and excitement of classics like The Big Break...... ::)

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 09:31:01 AM »
Michael,
Thanks for putting this together and for providing the back story.
Did the woman on the bench @ North Berwick get an appearance fee?

Tim Bert

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 09:39:13 AM »
I will be watching this on a 100 inch theater screen at some point over the next two days.  I am pumped. I didnt realize it had finally been released until I saw this thread just before Christmas.  I have heard nothing but great things from those that have seen it.

To those referencing the set of 3 or drawing comparisons to the price of the other two videos, hopefully Michael's post sheds some light on the fact that this video really has nothing to do with those other two. This project was much bigger in scope and based on early returns I'd say the production was much more official and much higher quality. How the other two got priced at $30 while this one is a steal at $10 Is beyond me.

Michael - Congratulations on the award at Macau!  Was the film shot in HD?

BCrosby

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 10:02:15 AM »
"One of the main drivers in me wanting to do this was for the historical record of these gentlemen. Can you imagine how we would all feel if we were able to hear MacKenzie talking about his process, or just talking off the top of his head about a certain design detail? Everyday I was with these gentlemen, and with George Bahto and Brad Klein, I could not believe my great fortune that I was there to record these historic musings, and I felt a big burden to get this right and find a way to tell a compelling story. You all tell me, but I think I did."

Michael -

I too am disappointed that your DVD has not gotten wider distribution and/or sponsorship. I'd have thought it would. I think someday it will. Hang in there.

Your point above is on the money. The video record you kept of making of OM is without parallel. I know of nothing else quite like it. I hope it becomes a model for other architects in the future. It's an extraordinary piece of historical data.

Bob     

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 10:39:47 AM »
Why don't we sponsor a showing in conjunction with one of our larger GCA outings?  Do something besides eating, drinking and access whoring... ;)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 10:59:20 AM »
Judging solely on volume, the camera must love Mayhugh.  Would an autograph from the undisputed "America's Guest" (sorry Mr. Huckaby) on the cover double the $20 investment in this important cinematic record, or will it be relegated to gather dust in my library along with a signed copy of "The Confidential Guide"?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »
Why don't we sponsor a showing in conjunction with one of our larger GCA outings?  Do something besides eating, drinking and access whoring... ;)

That's been tried- the Masters during the KP at Stevenson Ranch- and the eating, drinking, and talking (no whoring that I know of) pretty much sucked all the air.  Better that everyone order a copy to reward the effort.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 11:40:27 AM »
Judging solely on volume, the camera must love Mayhugh.  Would an autograph from the undisputed "America's Guest" (sorry Mr. Huckaby) on the cover double the $20 investment in this important cinematic record, or will it be relegated to gather dust in my library along with a signed copy of "The Confidential Guide"?

By volume, are you referring to airtime or how fat I look/am?

I'm glad that Tim Bert invited me along on his OM opening round trip and somewhere between confused and gratified that any comments of mine made the final cut.  That day was a real treat, and it's really special having such a well-done film to help with the memories. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back