News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

PGA West and my theory on two kinds of difficulty
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:38:44 PM »
I don't suppose this is a new theory, but I've never heard it stated quite this succinctly.

One kind of difficulty is when the shots themselves are hard - for example, off of a downhill lie to an elevated target, or a long iron to a firm, crowned green.

Another kind of difficulty has to do with the consequences of a bad shot, such as water, sand, or some other situation from which scoring is difficult. Executing the shot correctly, however, might not really be that hard. An island green on a calm day would be the extreme example.

The Stadium Course at PGA West has always intrigued me in this way. The shots themselves aren't really that difficult: flat lies, nice grass, ample targets. Plenty of guys in Q-School cruised around in 70 shots or fewer the last few days.

Yet it's always on the lists of everyone's hardest courses, because the consequences for missed shots are so bad.

Obviously the hardest courses combine both kinds of difficulty - shots that are hard to execute, with severe penalties for not pulling them off. Oakmont seems like the poster child for this.

Am I on to some significant distinction here? Or does it exist already by another name?

Kalen Braley

Re: PGA West and my theory on two kinds of difficulty
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:22:21 PM »
Matt,

That makes sense.  I would put IC in that 2nd category.  The fairways are pretty flat and they aren't especially narrow, even normal width.  The penalty comes by missing them by much more than 3-5 yards...and your looking at a lost ball almost with exception.

Additionally the sheer amount of forced carries is pretty insane on that course as well.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »
I agree with your distinction.  I would much rather play a course where the shots are difficult yet a stray shot is playable than a course where a stray shot is stroke and distance or a ball in the water.  I did, however, find that PGA West has a nice combination of both.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 02:19:19 PM »
Not to discourage original thinking, but I think yours is a distinction without a difference.

If you go to the next level of abstraction, all of the things you describe as making shots difficult are architectural features. Some are about the routing of a hole, some are about individual hazards (read: bunkers), some are about hole length, etc., but they are all architectural features chosen by an architect to influence play.

Seems to me that there is a another distinction that might be made. You could distinguish between 'internal' difficulties - those inherent in executing the golf swing and 'external' difficulties - those that you find on a golf course, weather or conditioning. One is constant, the other will vary depending on the course, day and maintenance.

Bob 

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 03:27:17 PM »
The lost ball and excessivly difficult go hand in hand for most.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »
The lost ball and excessivly difficult go hand in hand for most.

The latter feeds exponentially on the former.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »
I have played golf with Jeff Warne. Only in his memories of the distant past does he know what it feels like to lose a ball.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 04:45:35 PM by BCrosby »

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »
I have played golf with Jeff Warne. Only in his memories of the distant past does he know what it feels like to lose a ball.  ;)

Your brother could tell you differently :-[ :(
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back