News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

2013 Western Am to Alotian
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:02:24 AM »
Information at arkansassports360.com. I can't get the link to work.

Joel_Stewart

Re: 2013 Western Am to Alotian
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
Will be interested to see the scoring with these amateurs.  I've been told the course doesn't play that hard, the greens are generally flat?

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »

Will be interested to see the scoring with these amateurs.  I've been told the course doesn't play that hard, the greens are generally flat?

Looks hard,plays easy,only walkable for mountain climbers. If there's a qualifier from Nepal,bet the ranch on him.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »
Interesting. Looks like the WGA is interested in moving around their Championships.
H.P.S.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »
July date at this course?  Cartball comes to the Western Am.

God help Melvyn.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 11:50:21 AM »
I've been told the course doesn't play that hard, the greens are generally flat?

Comments from anyone who's played it on this? It's surprising to read, given that the stories about the club had it being modeled after Augusta.

Like the Sherpa joke... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:00:01 PM »
I've been told the course doesn't play that hard, the greens are generally flat?

Comments from anyone who's played it on this? It's surprising to read, given that the stories about the club had it being modeled after Augusta.

Like the Sherpa joke... :)

George,

Good luck, they don't allow Golfweek raters access and the one who has played the course isn't allowed to talk about it any longer.  Don't worry, the Digest guys will come on soon and tell us all how great the course is.  Yawn.

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »
Has Brad K ever written anything about Alotian?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
Haven't played it yet, but I've heard very good reports.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »
According to this 2004 article "Alotian will be a carts-only course out of consideration to the topography."  Warren Stephens is quoted as saying "I'm a little concerned about people carrying bags in hot and humid weather on a course this hilly."

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/alotian/cover.asp

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 12:27:52 PM »

A quick Google search found this, it reveals a whole lot about Brad's opinion, if inadvertently.

Brad Klein:
That's the first time I have ever seen full course photography of a "big time, exclusive" course shot in the middle of the day. Tells me they did it in house, which suggests a lot right there. Given the prominence of carts, cart paths and an owner/developer who was photographed in a quick mid-day setting without a change of clothes or sun angle, they are revealing a whole lot about themselves, if inadvertently.

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 12:49:04 PM »

A quick Google search found this, it reveals a whole lot about Brad's opinion, if inadvertently.

Brad Klein:
That's the first time I have ever seen full course photography of a "big time, exclusive" course shot in the middle of the day. Tells me they did it in house, which suggests a lot right there. Given the prominence of carts, cart paths and an owner/developer who was photographed in a quick mid-day setting without a change of clothes or sun angle, they are revealing a whole lot about themselves, if inadvertently.

Thanks, John.

It's somewhat illustrative of the problems of the written word and why context - and the writer - matter. On the one hand, someone could read that and think, maybe the owners are just not pretentious and have a solid belief that the course speaks for itself, no matter the lighting, the preparation, etc. Or someone could read it and think, they obviously don't care enough to put out the effort.

I'd lean toward the former, but I generally try to give folks the benefit of the doubt.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
The Alotian was one of only a couple courses I've played that asked that I not take photos while playing. Which admittedly makes it a bit intruiging to me that they are opening up the course for a major event.

Its hard for me to speak to the difficulty of the course because I played so bad that anything would have seemed difficult. It has width, but also definitely preferred angles. Its comparable in difficulty to Point O'Woods, where they hosted the event for years. Its longer, but wider. The greens are challenging. They can set it up to be difficult if they are so inclined, or to allow low scores to quality play. My guess is that they will be able to draw some similarities to Augusta in that the pin placements will dictate how holes play on certain days.

A decently athletic golfer should be able to walk the course, but if they don't provide any shuttles it'll be a challenge even on the 18 hole days. When match play goes 36 holes, then it could be more of a test of stamina than anything else. With a caddie I'm very  comfortable saying I could walk it once a day, but I enjoy hiking in the mountains.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 11:11:23 PM »
I feel the course is more about being an Augusta experience that being a great golf course. It is a run of the mill Fazio. A little like the Sage Valley feel. I agree with Bogie. It will be hot as hell in July in Little Rock.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:13:35 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 11:29:19 PM »
I feel the course is more about being an Augusta experience that being a great golf course. It is a run of the mill Fazio. A little like the Sage Valley feel. I agree with Bogie. It will be hot as hell in July in Little Rock.

Tiger,

I know you can play the Alotian simply based on the fact that you are a great guy and fine company, so please understand my question has nothing to do with your status as a Golfweek rater.  The question is...Have you played the course?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 11:37:35 PM »
Barny I was there, but had bad weather. It was actually a business meeting in Little Rock ie lunch and then golf at the cub. However it was lunch and then let my eyes do their work. I naturally asked my hosts questions as well. An Ass Pro from my club down here works at Chenel down the road. He filled in some blanks for me.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 11:44:41 PM »
Barny I was there, but had bad weather. It was actually a business meeting in Little Rock ie lunch and then golf at the cub. However it was lunch and then let my eyes do their work. I naturally asked my hosts questions as well. An Ass Pro from my club down here works at Chenel down the road. He filled in some blanks for me.

I would trust your opinion if not for the fact that you simply observed the renovated Torrey Pines South without playing and decided it was also a poor venue.  I think you are wrong about Torrey but have not played the Alotian myself yet either.  Next time you get an invite let me know and I will drop everything to meet you for a round.  I would love to be proved wrong on my hunch that it is a fine course.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 01:54:46 PM »
Barny oh Barny what a memory. That was years ago. I actually rode the course at Torrey Pines south. I looked at every holes frontward and backwards. And then took in the ocean too given it is much nicer than the course. That was a grand day. I was having a drink after the tour of course at the then brand new hotel on the course. The owner heard me talking to a gentleman at the bar about the course and how Rees did such a poor job. He then befriended me and took me on a detailed tour of the incredible art and crafts architecture hotel. The hotel was magnificent. The course is not.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »
Is it a-LAW-shan or a-LOW-shan?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 03:47:51 PM »
Funny isn't it that the name of the club is a shout out to those who travel the country playing top 100 clubs. It's a-lot-ian, for those who play alot. Everything about this club would be perfect if not for those pesky rich members.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »
how much play does alotian actually get?

JMEvensky

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »

Is it a-LAW-shan or a-LOW-shan?

Long O--pronounced like the stuff you put on your skin.

The name comes from a group of friends who took golf trips which they called American Lights Out Tour (ALOT) and then they started calling themselves ALOTians.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »
how much play does alotian actually get?

I'm assuming very little, but I don't really know. We might have been the only group there on the morning we played, granted it was a Tuesday morning and a few years back so not much of a sample size.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back