News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Quality vs Quantity of courses played?
« on: November 30, 2011, 07:09:41 AM »
I see the thread where guys are talking of playing 50-80 courses in a year.  Wow.  I think it would be more enjoyable to play maybe 5 places 10 times each and I think you would understand the course better. 
Seems sort of like the guy that goes int he bar and picks up a different women each nite...oops I forgot ...I don't think that happens in Dorkville ( just golf courses) ;D.
Whadda you think?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Scott Warren

Re: Quality vs Quantity of courses played?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:28:49 AM »
Mike,

I think multiple plays can be tremendously helpful. I know from my own experience particularly at Barnbougle Dunes, Brora and Royal St George's that subsequent plays can really help you appreciate a course and see things you missed.

But sometimes repeat plays aren't possible, and some courses are easier to take in in one play than others.

I don't think multiple plays can ever hurt, though.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 07:29:38 AM »
Mike

I don't know about others, but probably at least half of my new courses each year are played on trips - meaning I won't see them very often if ever again.  The other half are courses I hit on day trips and can go back if sufficiently impressed by the quality and value provided.  All total, I would say maybe a quarter of the courses I play in a given year are new.  The other 3/4s of the courses are old favourites revisited along with games at me club.  

Ciao    
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Winterfield & Alnmouth

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:49:39 AM »
It all comes down to what you enjoy.  Seeing new things and having new adventures or getting to know a few courses more intimately.  Nothing wrong with either in my book.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:53:01 AM »
It all comes down to what you enjoy.  Seeing new things and having new adventures or getting to know a few courses more intimately.  Nothing wrong with either in my book.

+1

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:57:30 AM »
I see the thread where guys are talking of playing 50-80 courses in a year.  Wow.  I think it would be more enjoyable to play maybe 5 places 10 times each and I think you would understand the course better. 
Seems sort of like the guy that goes int he bar and picks up a different women each nite...oops I forgot ...I don't think that happens in Dorkville ( just golf courses) ;D.
Whadda you think?

An interesting analolgy ;).
More accurately, attempting :-[ to pick up a different woman each night (That happens in dorkville-it's just that women aren't aware of it ;D)

Quantity is the building block of quality. (of course I'd say the same thing about women)
I.e. without quantity, many of the quality courses i have returned to (Portsalon)and intend to(dunfanaghy)would not have been seen.
Dunfanaghy is a course that would never be seen if one focused on studying(I'd have no idea what that is) the recommended "great" courses of the area as many will often suggest.
To cross an ocean then simply "study" 2-4 courses makes little sense to me. but then hey, that's what keeps the gems hidden. ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Cory Lewis

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 08:02:28 AM »
As one of the mentioned golf dorks that plays 80+ new courses a year, I can say for me it's about the experience of discovering something new.  There are good things to be discovered playing some of the local munis, and you miss out on those things if you are focusing all of your efforts on a handful of courses.  I really have the best of both worlds, living in the Pinehurst area, there are about 20 courses I played at least two times this year as well as a handful that I played more than 5 times this year, so I really try to study the same course as much as I seek out new courses.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 08:15:04 AM »
There is something to be said about playing a course regularly to further understand it.  Many of the people whose opinions I respect talk about growing up playing or caddying around a great golf course.

@Pure_Golf

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:18:40 AM »
Mike,

In an ideal world I would agree with you. For me, there is a certain pressure that comes with playing a course that is really difficult to get on and you know it will be a "one and done". That may also apply to courses that are really hard to get to and you know it's unlikely you will return. This pressure takes away some of the enjoyment for me if it's a heralded course - but there is much less pressure if it's a series of hidden gems like you enjoy, Jeff.

There is also the problem with jet lag - jet lag may significantly alter your perception of a place as your body is all over the shop and you can't concentrate on much at all. if it's a "one and done", that's it - that's your memory!

The problem with following your head in these situations is that it's almost impossible for folks like us (well me) to do - I always want to see more - to potentially do 36, seen it, NEXT, seen it, NEXT. It's a compulsion.

It would be great to get most of the greats played so I can revisit said courses and just chill out and enjoy them - of course this will be more possible in GB&I or Bandon as you have complete control over your schedule and you can do your own thing for want of a better expression.

Brian- I am in the fetal position weeping at the many trevails you must encounter playing the finest courses all over the world. How do you endure? ;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:34:22 AM »

Mike

Is golf not about the thrill of the challenge, of encountering the unknown, pushing the golfer’s skill and of understanding his own/her abilities? There is no better way of embracing these experiences other than facing a virgin or previously non-encountered course.

On a previous thread many here where advocating shorter courses, which IMHO is madness as we already have adequate options in the 9 or 18 Holes Courses, however repetition is a boring factor even in golf. To play 18 or 36 Holes in a friendly or club Match would require utilising some Holes two, three or even four times, which for normal club tournaments would fast see objections from Members.

The Number of good sporting courses available to us in the UK are not only numerous but can generally be found within a dozen mile or so of each other.

Quality must be ones first choice for a golfer, nevertheless, we all suffer from ‘Repetitive Golf Strain Syndrome’ and this is where quantity comes in. However I am not the expert on this subject I must give way the likes of Sean and his great multi course reports. Not forgetting another who has a record second to none and that is Ernie Payne who has played every Scottish Golf Course including the new ones recently opened. See the link to his web site http://www.erniepaynegolf.co.uk/ultimate.html   

I do not know about you but there are days in the past when I have just wanted to play golf, no scoring of note just perhaps for record sake. So sought out a small out of the way course where I could face the course with an uncluttered mind, any pre-set ideas or intentions (plans would seem to be the wrong word choice as my skills are not worthy of my intentions).  Everything new, every stroke based upon what I see, my game is pure and untouched by outside influence or interference from a Caddie, Club Member or previous knowledge of the Hole(s). IMHO there is nothing more relaxing that playing the unknown. So yes to quality but quantity is bloody helpful too.

Melvyn

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 08:36:56 AM »
Wow.  I think it would be more enjoyable to play maybe 5 places 10 times each and I think you would understand the course better. 

I can't imagine anyone on GCA plays five different courses ten times a year. 
H.P.S.

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 08:52:59 AM »
Wow.  I think it would be more enjoyable to play maybe 5 places 10 times each and I think you would understand the course better. 

Pat,
You are probably right.  I was just picking a number.

For me, when the goal is to just play so that I can say I have seen it I don't enjoy it as much.  I would rather just walk it and see it .  As someone said earlier there seems to be a different mindset when playing a " one and done" course.  JMO
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 09:00:05 AM »
Mike,

I agree with your basic premise. Wisdom comes with age.  My belt notching days are behind me.  At my age and weight, and mediocre skill set, I know what I like and what I'm likely to like.  A few interesting new courses a year adds spice, but I'm happy playing most of my golf at old favorites.  Having said that Mark Saltzman is my hero...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 09:13:12 AM »

I've played five courses ten times each this year, but I think it's probably the first time in my life that has been the case.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 10:06:53 AM »
Mike:

I don't see nearly as many courses nowadays as I used to.  I think that has something to do with having a wife and five kids and courses of my own to build, but it also has to do with exactly what you're describing.  At this point, I get more out of going back to some of my favorites, than I generally do from seeing something I haven't seen before [with the occasional exception, of course].

I think I only played about twenty rounds of golf this year, and didn't play any course other than Crystal Downs more than twice.  But I did get back to Augusta [it had been a lot of years], to Royal Melbourne, to North Berwick, to SFGC and The Valley Club, and to Bandon; and I also got to watch Jimbo Wright and Jeff Bradley build a bunch of holes in Florida, on top of what my own guys were building.  I'm guessing that every one of those visits was as instructive as going to see the new Trump course in Aberdeen.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 10:18:23 AM »

This is more the norm for me than not.  As I get older I may play some courses 6 or 7 times a year but still have a drink at them and laughs with the buds at least a dozen times. 

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 10:22:20 AM »

I would greatly enjoy playing targeted courses 10 times a year, but it isn't realistic given cost implications unless one receives a huge number of invites. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Winterfield & Alnmouth

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »
Raters have to be careful.  I will never forget the urban legend of the Golfweek rater who lost his place on the panel for playing Lakota Canyon 48 times in a three month period.  At least he gave the place glowing reviews.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 10:54:31 AM »
You can do both in the same year or at least close to it.

I've played Rivermont, Dismal River, St. Ives, and East Lake more than 10 times each this year.  And I've seen a lot of new courses. 

I could see, however, in a few years my desire to travel far and wide to see anything and everything falling off and settling into a routine of playing specific courses.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »
You can do both in the same year or at least close to it.

I've played Rivermont, Dismal River, St. Ives, and East Lake more than 10 times each this year.  And I've seen a lot of new courses. 

I could see, however, in a few years my desire to travel far and wide to see anything and everything falling off and settling into a routine of playing specific courses.

I do believe the desire to conquest can be directly related to testosterone level.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 10:59:16 AM »
I have seen very few choices of man that can not simply be answered, because he can.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 11:01:37 AM »

I'd pick the 5 places, 10 times myself. Or even better, play 5 places three or four times each then play whichever one is my favorite fifty times.

Michael George

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 11:10:54 AM »
Mike:

I would agree 100% if my five courses were at the eastern end of Long Island  ;).

I enjoy experiencing new courses, especially ones that are so lauded here and love seeing different designs.

However, I am sure that as I see more courses, I will settle in and find the 2-3 courses that I want to play and just enjoy them.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Ben Sims

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »
It's individual.  I think motive probably has a lot to do with it.  I get very annoyed with the "Top 100" blogs and the motives behind that mindset towards great golf courses.  Guys that are in it for the love of great golf ground--and not the exclusivity or prestige--are the guys that get it, IMO.

I think it interesting to pose the question to someone like this.  Say you're on a week long trip to Long Island, would you rather

1)  Play 10 rounds at one course
2) Play 2 rounds at 5 different great golf courses
3) Play 1 round at 10 different great golf courses

My personal preference would be option #2.  I think you could learn more by having another look at each course, but also see more than one course.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 11:19:13 AM »
It's individual.  I think motive probably has a lot to do with it.  I get very annoyed with the "Top 100" blogs and the motives behind that mindset towards great golf courses.  Guys that are in it for the love of great golf ground--and not the exclusivity or prestige--are the guys that get it, IMO.

I think it interesting to pose the question to someone like this.  Say you're on a week long trip to Long Island, would you rather

1)  Play 10 rounds at one course
2) Play 2 rounds at 5 different great golf courses
3) Play 1 round at 10 different great golf courses

My personal preference would be option #2.  I think you could learn more by having another look at each course, but also see more than one course.  

I get very annoyed with people who claim to access great courses to "learn".  I have been in a monogamous relationship with the same woman now for over 30 years.  I guess I never "learned" how to make love.  Poor girl.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back