News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

World Atlas of Golf -- How many editions are there?
« on: November 29, 2011, 06:17:29 PM »
I was browsing in a second-hand bookstore in Sydney yesterday that often turns up some good golf stuff (I always hope for a Confidential Guide marked at $10!) and found two old editions of the WAOG for $13 each in great condition.

I already owned the latest edition, with the grey cover.

The two I scored yesterday were a green cover with a golf ball type design showing 6-8 at Pebble and another with a full cover illustration of 16 and 17 at Cypress Point.

It's quite interesting to see the courses that have disappeared from the book over time, not to mention the enthusiasm with which someone was once able to write about Royal Sydney!

So how many other editions are there out there? Am I mistaken that there are another two? What cover art should I be looking out for?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:21:39 PM by Scott Warren »

David_Tepper

Re: World Atlas of Golf -- How many editions are there?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »
Scott -

I have 3 hardback editions of WAofG:

1) The first was published in 1976 and reprinted in 1979-81-83. Pat Ward-Thomas is the "Contributing editor." This is the edition with the light green cover with a depiction of Pebble Beach on a golf ball.

2) The second was published in 2001.The introduction is written by Mark Rowlinson. The cover has aerial photos of Turnberry and the 7th hole (I think) at Pebble Beach.

3) The third is the most recent edition, which was published in 2008.

I also have a softcover copy, but I keep it in Dornoch and don't know when it was published.

DT 

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »
Scott -

Here is a link to editions of WAofG for sale at amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=world+atlas+of+golf&x=0&y=0

The photos on a couple of covers do not match the ones on the copies I have. I do not know whether those are other editions of the book or the same editions with different cover jackets.

DT   

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:20:49 PM »
The World Atlas of Golf was the first golf book I ever bought.  Mine is a first edition from 1976.  It is well worn.  I almost memorized it.  There have been many editions since then but not all of them were updates just new editions of the first.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 04:08:10 AM »
Cheers guys.

David - the one with CPC on the cover is softcover, that might explain it.

For some reason I'd love to get my hands on all the editions.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:50:50 AM »
Doesn't this belong in the "You know you're a GCA nerd....." thread?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 05:21:06 AM »
;D I'm sure it does!

Scott Sander

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 06:09:06 AM »
A question for anyone who has the softcover version: Does it 'work' in that configuration?  
I've put the most recent version, as linked above, on my Christmas list - but I'm not interested in it if the binding buries all the good visual bits, as can happen with softcover.

Thankya.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:10:59 AM by Scott Sander »

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 06:23:09 AM »
Scott,

The maps are perhaps slightly compromised by the softcover binding, but not significantly.

A couple of gems from the 90s edition:

On Royal Sydney:
"The couch grass browns off a little during winter dormancy, but a plentiful supply of water from the club's own boreholes ensures admirable conditioning for the rest of the year."

On Pebble Beach -- the intro, no less:
"Without any argument, the supreme golf course in the western United States is Pebble Beach..."

On both counts -- oh how things change!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 06:43:49 AM »
Scott

The bookstore under Central Station sometimes sells some bargain golf books. I picked up the latest WAOG for $20 there once - my favorite version.

I've also got the 98 version (4th Edition)  - NGLA 16th / Augusta 12th & 2004 version (paperback)  with 16 - 18 CPC.

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 06:45:09 AM »
Where is it under Central, KP? That's about 2mins walk from work.

Scott Sander

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:19 AM »
Thanks, Scott! 
If Santa or my wife or kids come through, I'll post a "2011 version/paperback" review to this thread sometime around the new year.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 09:08:39 AM »
There must be at least 10-15 editions. I think I have about 4. Other than the most recent Ran/Doak/Wexler version I found the others in used book sales, usually for no more than $2-$4.
H.P.S.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »
First Edition 1976, reprinted 1979, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1986 (twice), 1987
Second Edition 1988 This was the edition that introduced many newer American courses to the gazetteer.
Third Edition 1991 This was the first one I was involved with. The text was updated for new course statistics and Ballybunion replaced Killarney as the latter was now split between two courses.
Fourth Edition 1998 Further expulsions and a few new entries largely to placate countries with high sales but no representation in the book.
Fifth Edition 2000 More expulsions and additions, with rather too many errors - I was not involved with proof reading.
Sixth Edition 2002 Yet more expulsions and additions and a whole raft of new errors!
Totally new edition 2008 with a team of writers recruited from GCA. Originally intended to have 100 courses, but illustrators couldn't deliver to deadline and the texts for those courses were incorporated into considerably expanded regional introductions.
I am not aware of any impending new edition.

Eric Smith

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 11:29:08 AM »
Thanks, Mark. What a fantastic reference just an arms length away at the office.

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 04:26:35 PM »
Doesn't this belong in the "You know you're a GCA nerd....." thread?

Mark is probably right, but I've actually had similar thoughts myself about getting my hand on every edition.

I've got 4 editions at the moment, and a coupleof years ago while at Hay on Wye came across a couple of editions but was convinced I had them. Pretty gutted to get home and find I didn't have them. One of the downsides to owning so many book I guess...  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »
I have several editions. I also have a different book called the World Atlas of Golf Courses.  C 1990 Mallard Press, edited by Bob Ferrier which covers  66 courses: 22 U.S., 22 GBI, 8 Cont Europe, 14 rest of world

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 12:07:20 PM »
Not all the editions are going to please some of you GCA hard-liners. Even in the first edition there were a number of questionable courses and there seemed to be an overemphasis on RTJ. On the various subsequent editions on which I worked very often I was commissioned to clear out mistakes, and update facts and figures (adjusting the text where necessary), but I didn't always have an editorial handle on those courses newly introduced. New editions were not prompted by my suggesting to the publishers that we ought to have this or that. The drive for a new edition came from the sales teams and very often they were being leant on by the co-publishers in other countries. An example was Germany where Club zur Vahr represented the country in the main entries and Hamburger and Frankfurter in the gazetteer. The Germans were very proud of all their new, state-of-the-art courses. We put in the Faldo course at Sporting Club Berlin. The Irish were desperate to see Druid's Glen, Mount Juliet and Fota Island in there. When the K-Club was awarded the Ryder Cup the Palmer course found its way in. Ballybunion was only retained as a main entry (it wasn't a main entry in the 1st edition) because, by luck, it hosted a single Irish Open.

What led to the all-new 2008 edition was the fact that the original artworks had been lost and they couldn't be altered easily to reflect the many changes that had been made to almost every course in the book. In the gazetteer in particular there was a mess with illustrations of all sort, shape and size. There was no consistency and it looked like a child's scrapbook. Trevor Davies, the commissioning editor, listened to my comments about the book and went away to consult. It was such a joy to learn that a completely new edition was to be commissioned and that I would be involved. He was great. He didn't interfere. We set up a small group of potential authors across the world and put together wish lists. We argued heatedly about this and that and eventually came to some sort of concensus. Inevitably there were compromises, but nothing too serious. One or two writers pulled out and others came on board, but we were not pressured on our selection. There are lots of countries (China, for instance) where golf development is racing ahead. The country is mentioned, but no course is featured.

The content of the book is driven by golf course architecture at what GCA regulars might consider its finest. I bet the ordinary golfer is puzzled! Where are Gleneagles PGA Centenary, The Belfry, Celtic Manor, The K-Club? Haven't the authors heard of the Ryder Cup? But we did it and we've made our point.   

Michael George

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »
Mark:

I have the 2008 edition and an edition from the early 80's (green cover).  If you wanted nice representation of the publication from its inception, what editions should I be looking for?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

ed_getka

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 12:58:45 PM »
I came across an edition in a used book store a few years ago. It has a fake leather embossed binding which I have never seen before so I bought it just for the curiosity factor.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 09:44:54 AM »
Michael,

If you can get hold of past editions cheaply through the second-hand book trade (and there seem to be plenty about) go for what's most readily available. There isn't one edition, apart from the first, which stands out from the rest, because the artworks vary greater in quality and style the later the edition, and I have to say that in each of the editions on which I worked until 2008 I was not part of the proof-reading team and there are lots of howlers. Naturally I have a soft spot for the 1991 edition as it was the first on which I worked and the first in which some of the material and maps are by me, including Ballybunion and Medinah. I was unhappy about many of the courses introduced to the 1988 edition such as Lakewood, Sentry World and Poppy Hills but it was not in my remit to get rid of them. I was pleased to get the correct map for Cascades, the earlier editions having the wrong course map!

Having just now looked back at that 1991 edition it is quite a period piece. In its way it reflects tastes at that time (although TPC Sawgrass isn't included). Most of 1976 remains intact, the major changes and big expansion of 1988 remain, but a few new trends are appearing....

For some technical reason in a later edition Ganton and The National were dropped - it was to do with an inability to reproduce the original maps, not that they were not felt good enough. When they did reappear the illustrations were poor, but I did get a chance to rewrite the Ganton text.

Scott Warren

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 07:53:25 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for adding these insights. Really interesting info.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 03:08:09 AM »

On Royal Sydney:
"The couch grass browns off a little during winter dormancy, but a plentiful supply of water from the club's own boreholes ensures admirable conditioning for the rest of the year."

Scott,

Royal Sydney has always (and still does) had a lot of 'bore holes'.

Oh, hang on! You're talking about water.  ;D

Anthony Butler

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 10:41:34 AM »
Scott

The bookstore under Central Station sometimes sells some bargain golf books. I picked up the latest WAOG for $20 there once - my favorite version.

I've also got the 98 version (4th Edition)  - NGLA 16th / Augusta 12th & 2004 version (paperback)  with 16 - 18 CPC.

There's also a sporting bookstore run by a guy out of a warehouse about 3-4 mins off the freeway going to Canberra. It's about 5 mins past the airport exit and about 2-3 mins past where it goes under the runway. I think it might officially be in Kogarah. I took my father-in-law there once because he's a nut about Australian tennis and was looking for a first edition of "Muscles-The Ken Rosewall Autobiography".

They had some golf books there that were pretty hard to come by... OK, Roy and HG moment over. 
Next!

James Boon

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 05:16:39 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for adding these insights. Really interesting info.

Mark,

I'll second Scott's comments. great insight into the history of this great book and also the publishing side of things in general!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back