News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: Quality vs Quantity of courses played?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »
I've only played Deal, Hankley Common and New Zealand more than once this year in the UK although I did play some of the better NZ, Aus and US courses more than once but that's on vacation.

Golf will be severily restricted over the next couple of years & therefore going back to the title life is too short to play poor courses.
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Sims

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 11:23:48 AM »

I get very annoyed with people who claim to access great courses to "learn".  I have been in a monogamous relationship with the same woman now for over 30 years.  I guess I never "learned" how to make love.  Poor girl.

Wouldn't be the first time someone called BS on my motive for seeing great golf courses.  Won't be the last.  But you're wrong.  And I get the feeling that it won't be the last time for you.

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »
I think it interesting to pose the question to someone like this.  Say you're on a week long trip to Long Island, would you rather

1)  Play 10 rounds at one course
2) Play 2 rounds at 5 different great golf courses
3) Play 1 round at 10 different great golf courses

My personal preference would be option #2.  I think you could learn more by having another look at each course, but also see more than one course.  

Ben

Seven days?  I can't think of many more boring things to do than play golf seven days in a row.  Probably no more than 4 days golf.  Two courses twice works well, but If I had invites I would probably spread it around a bit.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 11:27:46 AM »

I get very annoyed with people who claim to access great courses to "learn".  I have been in a monogamous relationship with the same woman now for over 30 years.  I guess I never "learned" how to make love.  Poor girl.

Wouldn't be the first time someone called BS on my motive for seeing great golf courses.  Won't be the last.  But you're wrong.  And I get the feeling that it won't be the last time for you.

Ben, Louis Pasteur annoys me, it doesn't make what he did BS.  Get over yourself.

Ben Sims

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »
Ben, Louis Pasteur annoys me, it doesn't make what he did BS.  Get over yourself.

Get over myself?  I'm not the guy with a post count of nearly two thousand in the year since I was allowed back on the site.  What you have to say isn't that important.  But we all listen.  Don't abuse that power. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »

Ops, Big Bad John, what else is there to say ;)

Melvyn

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 11:42:04 AM »

What you have to say isn't that important.  But we all listen.  Don't abuse that power. 

Someday you may thank me for saying yes. Now go home and get your fuckin' shinebox.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »
Ah, words to live by Ben.  

Mike - I'm not so good at compartmentalizing, so the quality vs quantity question is one that I see/experience in every area of life. All I know or have come to learn is that it is a choice, i.e. that it involves a personal choice.  It helps me make that choice when I accept the (obvious) fact that I'm not omniscient nor omnipotent nor outside the temporal order -- all of which means that I can either know/learn/experience a few things quite deeply and thoroughly OR I can know/learn/experience many things at a superficial and casual level.  I think the former is more satisfying by far, but I can understand why others would feel differently.

Peter

Ben Sims

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 11:45:54 AM »

What you have to say isn't that important.  But we all listen.  Don't abuse that power.  

Someday you may thank me for saying yes. Now go home and get your fuckin' shinebox.

Well, you know, sometimes it doesn't sound like you're kidding and there's a lot of people around.  You mutt.  

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 12:02:54 PM »
It all comes down to what you enjoy.  Seeing new things and having new adventures or getting to know a few courses more intimately.  Nothing wrong with either in my book.

Could not agree more . . . variety is the spice of life and if you are looking for it in new golf courses all the better.

Chris

Terry Lavin

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »

What you have to say isn't that important.  But we all listen.  Don't abuse that power. 

Ah, breaking out a great Goodfellas reference.  Solid, very solid.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back