News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Byrnes

Golf in the DC area. What are the top courses in the area?
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:43:16 PM »
Going to be spending almost a week in DC for the Thanksgiving Holiday.  I have often read that DC isn't a great golf area but don't know much about it.  Seems Congressional isn't popular as far as being a outstanding course despite its U.S. Open History.  With all the wealth in the area I would think there would be some great ones even if they are under the radar?

What are the top courses in the area?  Interested in things in the Alexandria VA area as that is where I'll be staying.

Thanks

Dan

Will Lozier

Re: Golf in the DC area. What are the top courses in the area?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:27:30 PM »
Dan,

I'll keep it to three ideas...

For a modern public over good terrain and near Alexandria, I like Laurel Hill...a bit overpriced but some very good golf holes.

For great quirk and value in DC but less than 6000 yards...Rock Creek.  It could be in decent to poor shape but on some really great land.

My favorite recommendation may underwhelm but...I used to play weekly at Langston near RFK.  A quick peek looks like a course with VERY average conditioning (usually F&F in the summer which I like) over mostly mundane ground.  Architecturally, I like it because of a few holes...a good opener with more character than first meets the eye, the 3rd which is an awkward but natural par-5, the 4th which is a par-3 from hilltop to hilltop that I LOVE, while the 9th has some interest in it's green complex.  The back nine is a mix of some really strange (10 is a great tee shot played from across the river) to some very solid holes (13, 16, 18) but is over better ground and is more secluded.  The First Tee chipping and putting area is fantastic.  

But, the real reason why I love Langston it's status as a sort the spiritual home of African-American golfers and on the National Register of Historic Places - I believe Teddy Rhodes, Charlie Sifford, Joe Louis, Calvin Peete all played a good deal of golf there and Lee Elder managed it at one time.  It just has a great atmosphere about it - great people in it's employ and a world-class half-smoke you'll have to try at the turn!  It is minimalistic in the best possible way.  I would highly recommend it as a unique golf experience!  

Have fun!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:32:13 PM by Will Lozier »

Will Lozier

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:50:06 PM »
Sorry Dan...I couldn't stop there! 

For private options with more classic architecture, if you can work it...

Chevy Chase is a really fun (reworked) Ross course with a great history while Columbia is right up the road - a Travis that hosted the Open in '21.  I've played CC but not Columbia.

Burning Tree is an ultra-private (women are allowed on property once a year...to shop for their husbands) club where JFK played and which MacKenzie had a hand in designing.  Haven't played it either but I have scoped it out and it looks very legit.

Like I said, if you could make these connections, these three to me are your best bet for high-end classic golf.

Cheers

Tim Pitner

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:21:16 AM »
I played Chevy Chase Club for the first time this summer and had a very enjoyable day.  To think this may be one of the top privates in Washington, though, says a lot about golf in the DC area (and it's not very positive, I'm afraid). 

Westfields is a public worth playing, not too far from Alexandria.  It's a little tight in places, but pretty solid.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:31:22 AM »
Dan,

Looks like the weather is going to be pretty nice -- I would have been happy to host you at my club, but am not going to be able to get out this weekend.

If access isn't an issue, my personal favorites in the greater DC area are RTJ, Columbia, and Burning Tree (primarily for the experience).  Congressional is IMHO a very very solid course, but it doesn't have anything that makes it really special, which is probably a reason why it's not favored on GCA.  Note that I haven't played some of the newish courses like Lake Presidential or laurel Hill.

If you're going to be in Alexandria, Belle Haven was recently redone, and you might be able to get on -- it's not great, but it's very convenient. Army Navy isn't too far and has some cool holes, and Mt Vernon is also convenient.

Finally, there have been threads in the past about the lack of really top-tier courses here, which is unfortunate but true.

Carl

Andy Shulman

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 02:47:36 AM »
Unfortunately, most of the better public access golf in the DC area is nowhere near the city.  The same is true, with a few exceptions, for private courses.  For convenience and quality, Will's suggestion of Laurel Hill is the top choice and Belle Haven - if you can gain access - is next.  If you need more options, consider Augustine in Stafford, VA (just reopened), Worthington Manor in Urbana, MD and Woodmont in Rockville, MD.  Augustine is a one-time GD Top 100 Public course, Worthington is used annually for local US Open qualifying and has excellent greens, while Woodmont (private) is an annual US Open sectional qualifying site.  The first two are about a 45 minute drive from Alexandria, while Woodmont is 30 minutes or so.

One last option to consider is to play in the footsteps of Obama, Boehner and other politicos at one of the courses at Andrews AFB.

Will Lozier

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 08:06:22 AM »
Unfortunately, most of the better public access golf in the DC area is nowhere near the city.  The same is true, with a few exceptions, for private courses.  For convenience and quality, Will's suggestion of Laurel Hill is the top choice and Belle Haven - if you can gain access - is next.  If you need more options, consider Augustine in Stafford, VA (just reopened), Worthington Manor in Urbana, MD and Woodmont in Rockville, MD.  Augustine is a one-time GD Top 100 Public course, Worthington is used annually for local US Open qualifying and has excellent greens, while Woodmont (private) is an annual US Open sectional qualifying site.  The first two are about a 45 minute drive from Alexandria, while Woodmont is 30 minutes or so.

Andy's suggestion of Worthington Manor is interesting.  I really like the course and played there probably 8-10 times when I lived in Mt. Pleasant.  It has some really good short par-4's - 11 & 14 - mixed in with some really tough long two-shotters - 3 might be my favorite hole on the course while 12 has a neat approach after an awkward tee shot.  The one and three-shotters have a good amount of interest as well.  The only problem is the drive - I think WM is about 40 minutes north of DC in good traffic. 

Lou Cutolo

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 09:08:31 AM »
If you can get on Columbia Country I would highly recommended it. I had the chance to play there this past summer. It is a par 70 and plays to 6600 yard from the back and hosted the 1920 US Open and 2003 US Junior.  The club History states the original course was built in 1911 by Herbert Barker the professional at Garden City GC. In 1916 Walter Travis was called in to redesign and he called on William Flynn to help with the construction and design of Columbia green structures.

Lou

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 09:15:34 AM »
If you do not have contacts to provide access to the private clubs and are looking for something convenient to Alexandria I would suggest Lake Presidential and Laurel Hill. 1757 GC near Dulles provides a challenging experience with wonderful practice area and excellent food.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 11:01:05 AM »

Andy's suggestion of Worthington Manor is interesting.  I really like the course and played there probably 8-10 times when I lived in Mt. Pleasant.  It has some really good short par-4's - 11 & 14 - mixed in with some really tough long two-shotters - 3 might be my favorite hole on the course while 12 has a neat approach after an awkward tee shot.  The one and three-shotters have a good amount of interest as well.  The only problem is the drive - I think WM is about 40 minutes north of DC in good traffic. 

Worthington Manor is good, but IMHO it isn't so much better than the courses closer to Alexandria that have been mentioned (or even the courses in its neck of the woods) that it would be worth an hour drive from Alexandria (which you would have to assume, especially if you're in Old Town).

One course I forgot to mention that I really like is Four Streams.  Not at all convenient to Alexandria, but a really good course that might be amenable to unaccompanied play. 

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »

One course I forgot to mention that I really like is Four Streams.  Not at all convenient to Alexandria, but a really good course that might be amenable to unaccompanied play. 

Four Streams is what came to my mind.....a real sleeper that deserves much more recognition
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Andy Hughes

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 01:37:38 PM »
For great quirk and value in DC but less than 6000 yards...Rock Creek.  It could be in decent to poor shape but on some really great land.

Will, you sound like my kind of guy dragging in Rock Creek, but I'd be pretty leery mentioning RC to an out-of-towner looking for top courses  ;)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 02:37:06 PM »
Dan: You can come out and play my club, Norbeck, which is in Rockville, MD - probably 30-45 minutes from Alexandria.  The course is in great shape and the greens are smooth and fast.  Walk and carry.  We have open tee times on Friday and 10:00 shotguns on the weekends.  Can handle one other player if interested.

Will Lozier

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 07:53:14 PM »
For great quirk and value in DC but less than 6000 yards...Rock Creek.  It could be in decent to poor shape but on some really great land.

Will, you sound like my kind of guy dragging in Rock Creek, but I'd be pretty leery mentioning RC to an out-of-towner looking for top courses  ;)

Andy,

Yeah, I didn't know specifically what Dan was looking for!?  Thus, my suggestion of RC AND Langston...followed by some private recs if he can get on!  I think #3, 5, 9, & 17 are outstanding at RC and Langston is really for the experience - legacy, atmosphere, and value.  Absent firm & fast conditions, it is not nearly as interesting architecturally.  But, in the heat of summer, I love it.  This coming from a guy who has played quite a bit of golf in the UK during a year of being an expat!  What do you like about RC...and, if you've played it, Langston?

Cheers

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »
Thanks for all the information.  Also thank you to those who offered to host as well. I am visiting family so we are two groups.  We are playing Pleasant Valley Golf Club.  Anything special?

Dan

Andy Shulman

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »
Pleasant Valley - which is nowhere near Alexandria - is a pretty good course, even though it's one I've never done well on.  The best part about it is that it doesn't run through a housing development!  So, what did you think?

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Pleasant Valley - which is nowhere near Alexandria - is a pretty good course, even though it's one I've never done well on.  The best part about it is that it doesn't run through a housing development!  So, what did you think?

It was only a 25 minute drive from my relatives house in Alexandria?  I played poorly.  I thought it was a decent course.  It was quite wet, but they let us walk.  As there is no worse golf experience in my opinion than cart path only.  Had some nice holes and some good par 4's.   Reminded me of many modern courses that are nice but nothingreally sticks out that makes you go wow.

Dan

Andy Hughes

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 10:54:17 AM »
Yeah, I didn't know specifically what Dan was looking for!?  Thus, my suggestion of RC AND Langston...followed by some private recs if he can get on!  I think #3, 5, 9, & 17 are outstanding at RC and Langston is really for the experience - legacy, atmosphere, and value.  Absent firm & fast conditions, it is not nearly as interesting architecturally.  But, in the heat of summer, I love it.  This coming from a guy who has played quite a bit of golf in the UK during a year of being an expat!  What do you like about RC...and, if you've played it, Langston?

Will, there are a number of things I like about Rock Creek:
1. The price
2. The location
3. We can get out early, walk, and be done quickly
4. I like holes 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16, 17.  A few of the others make me giggle.
Clearly, the course is a bit of a mess and needs a lot of work, and even a number of the holes I like I appreciate more in the abstract (what could be) rather than what is actually there in the dirt currently.

Cheers,
Andy
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Mike Tanner

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 01:54:32 PM »
My son recently moved to Alexandria, so I'm following this thread with interest. I'll probably be looking to play some rounds up there next season. Thanks for all the input.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back