News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Best Article Linking Tree Removal and Turf Conditions?
« on: November 15, 2011, 01:31:07 PM »
My home course has historically had extremely good turf conditions, but we've struggled over the last couple of years.  We also have, IMHO, far too many trees.  Can someone recommend a good article linking turf conditions to tree removal that I could forward along to a few people?  I am sure the superintendent is aware of the connection, but he's not my intended audience.   ;)  Thanks in advance

JMEvensky

Re: Best Article Linking Tree Removal and Turf Conditions?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 01:48:20 PM »
Not sure if they're exactly on point,but the IMO pieces by Dunlop White are worth forwarding. I've also used a lot of the articles on the USGA website.

Pete Garvey

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »
I agree, Dunlop White articles..........Can be found in Feature Interviews I believe.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 02:36:42 PM »
Not sure if they're exactly on point,but the IMO pieces by Dunlop White are worth forwarding. I've also used a lot of the articles on the USGA website.

Here

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/below-the-trees-by-dunlop-white-iii/

and there's more

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/

Let's make GCA grate again!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:13:24 PM »
Dunlop's pieces are good, but not quite what I'm looking for, as they discuss a lot of concepts (playability, aesthetics, etc.) that I don't want to take on (yet).  I'm looking for something short and sweet that talks about how turf quality can be negatively affected by too many trees because of sunlight and airflow issues.  I have an audience that might be receptive at the moment because of our turf issues, and so I'd like something that addresses that issue only.

Bill Brightly

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
John Neylan has an article titled "Trees & the Golf Course" in Golf Architecture, the SAGCA 2010 magazine (vol 12). I have not been able to find it on lne. You might contact him therough the Australian Golf Couse Superintendents Association, where he is the GM.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:06:33 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »
Thanks everyone, both for these things and what I've been sent offline.

RDecker

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 02:36:48 PM »
Links magazine published a nice short article this past spring or summer regarding the cost of golf course trees.  It was done citing several sources but mostly leaned on the USGA greens section info.  You may want to consult the the local USGA greens section for more pertenant information for your area.  These guys are good at communicating with golfers in my experience.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back