News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Seitz

Re: National Memberships
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »
I make 5-7 trips up per year - probably split 50/50 between one day trip, 36 hole trips and the others are either overnights or long weekends.  I have had the pleasure of introducing several close friends to the course and I love the multitude of expressions/emotions they go through over the course of their experience - first seeing the 'clubhouse', the look from the porch out at nine green, the view from the first tee, when they first see the "south 40" from the second tee, the option of the south or west tee at nine, the tee box on 12, the 13th green, the 15th green, and finally their look of satisfaction as we shake hands on 18.

I agree with all the "other" benefits of the club as well - conditions, proximity to TC, relative ease of getting there - one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the great staff they have.  I am sure Ballyneal and Dismal River are equally as good, but I can't imagine them being any better - if they are - great for them and great for those members.

Other than playing there with friends who already members, the thing I'm most looking forward to in my first season up there is bringing guests of my own.  I don't necessarily expect them all to fall in love with the place to the extent that I did, but I'm hoping (and I'm confident) that they'll really enjoy the course and the atmosphere of the club.  And of course part of that was the excellent staff.

And while I typically spend a fair amount of money on golf in the Chicago area every summer, I know that on a per round basis I'll be spending just a touch more on membership (when you factor in travel and lodging), but as has been discussed in this thread, if you're trying to make a membership work based on your per round costs, it's probably not worth it.  The question isn't "will I spend less on a membership than I would on golf otherwise".  The key questions are how much do you really want to be a member of the club, and can you afford it? 

Chris Johnston

« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »
I love to read posts about guys who love, and are excited to be part of, their club!  It isn't a cost matter, its about one question:  Where do you belong?  No matter the choice, finding that place is worth a lot.

Keep the positive posts coming!

Jim Tang

« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »
When I first saw Kingsley a few years back, I knew it was going to be good, but, it blew me away!  I loved the day I spent there, getting to play 36.  I am constantly amazed that Kingsley Club doesn't get more ink in national magazines.  It is a fantastic club.

I have the opportunity to spend Labor Day weekend out there this year.  I can't wait!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »

I have the opportunity to spend Labor Day weekend out there this year.  I can't wait!

Well, you know Tim Bert is going to be there, so I wouldn't get too excited.   ;)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2012, 05:29:34 PM »
Mike - Enniscrone is $6k for under 55s but it's 2h45m from Shannon which isn't exactly an international hub airport. Westwood Ho! is a great deal but a) isn't a great course and b) is miles from anywhere. Would you really want to transatlantic annually and then have a 3 hour drive each way to your club.

The advantage of a south east club is London will always have the cheapest fares and most choice.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
Mike - Enniscrone is $6k for under 55s but it's 2h45m from Shannon which isn't exactly an international hub airport. Westwood Ho! is a great deal but a) isn't a great course and b) is miles from anywhere. Would you really want to transatlantic annually and then have a 3 hour drive each way to your club.

The advantage of a south east club is London will always have the cheapest fares and most choice.

Chappers

You are assuming international membership.  Country membership at Deal is a pig for most because its miles from most of the country.  Right off the bat the club is missing half the catchment area compared to an inland course because its on the coast.  Now throw in the southeast issue and its a total non-starter for tons of folks.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Scott Warren

« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »
Sean,

First something that is kind of a technicality, but significant IMO, is that RCPGC does not have "country" memberships. All members are full members of the club and have full playing rights. For many distance members -- OS or merely elsewhere in Britain -- the autumn and spring meetings (held on bank holiday weekends) are the prime time to visit the club. Lots of old mates there to catch up with and an honour board event to play for.

But to the issue you raise above, what you may not realise is that by virtue of its "distance from club" categories, Londoners are effectively in the "country" relative to Deal. Coupled with the easy 1h45 motorway drive or high-speed train trip from London, the quality of the course and club and Deal town itself, it's easy to see what many London golfers choose Deal as their second club.

Sean_A

« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2012, 02:04:05 AM »
Sean,

First something that is kind of a technicality, but significant IMO, is that RCPGC does not have "country" memberships. All members are full members of the club and have full playing rights. For many distance members -- OS or merely elsewhere in Britain -- the autumn and spring meetings (held on bank holiday weekends) are the prime time to visit the club. Lots of old mates there to catch up with and an honour board event to play for.

But to the issue you raise above, what you may not realise is that by virtue of its "distance from club" categories, Londoners are effectively in the "country" relative to Deal. Coupled with the easy 1h45 motorway drive or high-speed train trip from London, the quality of the course and club and Deal town itself, it's easy to see what many London golfers choose Deal as their second club.

Scott

Spoken like a man who thinks Watford Gap is the north!  Sure, Deal is a lovely place to be a member of, not so sure the town is in anyway special, I very much prefer Sandwich.    

Okay, so Deal doesn't call country memberships country memberships, but by any name they have country memberships.  The point remains the same, unless one lives in the southeast, Deal is a pain to get to.  There is this wee town called London in the way.  Me thinking Deal is a pain really drives home why I marvel at folks who are willing to stump up what I call big money to join national clubs when it takes so much effort and expense to arrive. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:07:27 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #208 on: March 29, 2012, 01:59:41 PM »
Sean probably 90% of our distant members live in Surrey, Hants or Berkshire those who live further afield tend to have a reason to visit the area other than purely for golf. Yes it's a pain to get to the Kent coast from the midlands or the north but you are not our market. Just as you wouldn't live in Kent and join Formby or Hunstanton unless you had work or family reason to go that way.

I probably see a good proportion of my mates at Deal less than 6 times a year, as Scott says lots of distant members tend to come for two or three main member weekends each year to play and party hard.
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #209 on: March 29, 2012, 05:49:54 PM »
Guys... the BEST national membership deal available on the planet is the one at Musgrove Mill Golf Club in Clinton, SC.

It is currently $600 for the year if you live outside the Carolinas. That's it. No initiation. Write one check for $600 and play all the golf you want through the end of this year!!! "The Mill" is a great course... and a great club. There are cottages and dormy rooms on site, and it's easy to reach via Greenville, Columbia, Charlotte or Atlanta.

Just ask Tom Williamson: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/musgrove-mill/

If anyone is interested just contact me and I'll hook you up!!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:54:46 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »
I'll re-iterate for maybe the millionth time, I truly believe now is the time to join a club if you have any interest.

And in my opinion, it ain't about runnin' numbers and calculating your cost per round...it is about joining a club you want to be a member of.  The numbers are most likely as low as they ever will be and IF YOU WANT TO BE A MEMBER of a certain club, my personal opinion is that now is a very good time to pull that trigger.

Certainlyi whole heartedly agree that cost per round is meaningless.  It seems that the demographics  of clubs is against them.  I have yet to see a club where there was an average age below 60?  So younger members aren't joining fast enough to make up for older folks leaving club life.  While access to clubs where previously there was none is improving but I am not sure that means these clubs are all financial stable and have bright futures.  I am a club member and considering a National membership but I am not all that optomistic about the future of clubs in general.

Dan

Chris Johnston

« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2012, 09:55:44 PM »
I'll re-iterate for maybe the millionth time, I truly believe now is the time to join a club if you have any interest.

And in my opinion, it ain't about runnin' numbers and calculating your cost per round...it is about joining a club you want to be a member of.  The numbers are most likely as low as they ever will be and IF YOU WANT TO BE A MEMBER of a certain club, my personal opinion is that now is a very good time to pull that trigger.

Certainlyi whole heartedly agree that cost per round is meaningless.  It seems that the demographics  of clubs is against them.  I have yet to see a club where there was an average age below 60?  So younger members aren't joining fast enough to make up for older folks leaving club life.  While access to clubs where previously there was none is improving but I am not sure that means these clubs are all financial stable and have bright futures.  I am a club member and considering a National membership but I am not all that optomistic about the future of clubs in general.

Dan

Dan

We must be bucking the trend.  Our average age is 47 out here.  Maybe as we are a newer club.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »
Paramount CC

A lot of people have asked me over the last few months about why I made the move to Paramount CC in New City, NY and how they can play it...so I decided to write a little post about what has been going on...I am really excited by everything at Paramount.  The Tillinghast course restoration done by Jim Urbina is exceptional.  What is great is that the owners have decided to offer a National Membership to out-of-area golfers who would want to play the course when coming through the NYC area.  For the first 20 golfers who sign-up for the National Membership, there is no initiation fee and only $5,000 in dues to be able to play up to 20 rounds/season.  Let me know if you’re interested since there are only a couple spots open and I can get you more details.  Its really a steal considering its a Tillinghast near NYC...Send me a PM...
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2012, 03:26:45 PM »
A fantastic national opportunity exists at Ballyhack right now.  I'd prefer not to share details but am glad to answer private messages.

WW

BCowan

« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2017, 06:14:32 PM »
Guys... the BEST national membership deal available on the planet is the one at Musgrove Mill Golf Club in Clinton, SC.

It is currently $600 for the year if you live outside the Carolinas. That's it. No initiation. Write one check for $600 and play all the golf you want through the end of this year!!! "The Mill" is a great course... and a great club. There are cottages and dormy rooms on site, and it's easy to reach via Greenville, Columbia, Charlotte or Atlanta.

Just ask Tom Williamson: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/musgrove-mill/

If anyone is interested just contact me and I'll hook you up!!!

Michael,

I think Marquette GC & Greywalls has ''The Mill'' beat.  I will be joining Greywalls (MGC) next year.  $475 for the whole year.  Truly a great place with wonderful people and down to earth staff.       http://golfgreywalls.com/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back