News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

2011/12 Winter Tour: One Man’s Gad Round THE OLD COURSE New
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »

Any talk of St Andrews should always include a photo of Old Tom Morris up front and (nearly) centre.

I think it had been 20 years since my last go at TOC.  Less hair, more pounds and fair bit less than 20 years wiser, I was back. Since that summer day in 1991 I have almost religiously considered TOC among the best courses I played, in the main because of the back nine and the TRULY unique elements which make the course what it is. There can be no denying that TOC is at the same time great and puzzling. As Patric Dickinson decisively wrote more than 60 years ago, "St Andrews will employ every means to deceive, flatter, cajole, or dragoon you into loving it, and into admitting its mastery of you."

An old card of the course reveals that the course is very similar to the current daily set-up. 

The long and short of this preamble is after 28 (woeful putting) points on The Castle Course and 33 on The New I was six back for a chance to win the prized Price-Evans Cup.  I found myself in the middle of the pack and without much hope.  I did, however, have one thing in my favour; two of the leaders were in my group.  The last day.....

BURN (1): Named for the Swilcan Burn which famously snakes through the 1st and 18th fairways.  The previous night’s drinking was fairly light after Friday and Saturday, but more than a few of us looked physically and mentally broken. Still, after watching a creaking swing or two it was my turn to give it a bash at the most intimidating easy shot in golf; straight down the pipe, perhaps a tad too far right for my comfort zone. I wasn’t at all nervous and that extra rush probably explained why I hit my drive so far.  I had about 90 yards to the flag – dead between wedge and sand wedge distance. Predictably, one squirreled wedge, one chip from the rear rough and a missed five footer found me marking down a 5 for 2 points. 

DYKE (2): the stone boundary wall between the Old Course Hotel and the 17th fairway.  I pulled my drive to the left of the fairway not far beyond Cheape’s.  The hole was cut front right leaving me a poor angle.  My wedge was pulled left and long into three-putt country.  I proceeded to whack my putt some 10 feet past the hole and indeed wondered if I would remain on the green.  I already failed to hole a fairly simple putt on the first, but my blade was up to the task; 4 for 3 points.  Critically, Paulie missed his birdie putt and Kosmo Kev was out to lunch.

CARTGATE (out) (3): presumably a track of some sort was near this area.  The drive is between two patches of gorse.  There are several bunkers left and right which will endanger a poor strike, but the main hazard is the greenside Cartgate Bunker to the left.  I hit a high plains drifter to the right off the tee, but luckily only found light rough AND a good angle of approach.  A third consecutive wedge left me nowhere near the hole.  Two straight forward putts later saw me earn a 4 for 2 points.   

A bunker on Cartgate Out in 1852.

GINGER BEER (4): Daw Anderson used to park his refreshment cart here in the 19th century.  From the tee this is a daunting shot with high mounds on the left and gorse down the right.  While not immediately apparent, the safe play is left, but Sutherland and the sinewy Cottage Bunkers are lurking in that direction.  Perhaps the most important element for the approach is a large mound which the hole will often be cut behind.  A less than honest swipe off the tee left me about 180 yards to the flag.  I hit a 6 iron directly over the hole and through the green.  My return putt was far from a dawdle; uphill and swinging well to the left, I was a bit wanting.  I did however make the four foot par putt for 3 points. 

A look at the green with the 14th in the background. 

HOLE O'CROSS (out) (5): Presumably the name refers to the large swale shy of the green.  At stroke index 2 it is essential to take advantage and have a decent go at birdie.  Playing with a quartering wind off the left (same basic wind for the opening six holes) this par 5 is very reachable in two.  My memory served me well as this is the only double green which is kind of back to back rather than side by side.  I knew there was plenty of room to play long and avoid trifling with the O'Cross.  With every intention of hitting at the left Spectacle I instead hit a wounded duck out right and figured I was in one of The Seven Sisters (and none of them are ladies- yuck yuck).  As luck would have it I was just past the women and with a decent lie in the rough.  With about 195 left I didn't even contemplate hitting an iron; 7 wood directly over the flag and onto the 13th green.  The putt coming back was quite long, but essentially flat.  I left the first into a strengthening breeze well short, but holed the second for a birdie and 4 points.  A closer look at the O'Cross.

HEATHERY OUT (6): Originally the green was made of heather and sea shells.  There is a marker post to the left and and some sort of industrial tower in the distance which doubles as a guide for the blind tee shot.  About ten bunkers are hidden left and right, but for many these will not be in play.  The safe play is to the left away from a huge bank of gorse, but this invariably leads to a tougher second.  I did not remember this hole at all and so didn't realize there was a large swale shy of the green. I missed another fairway left (who said these were the widest fairways on earth?), but only had a wedge in.  A not very convincing approach (probably hung up in the swale) left me well short of the flag; another longish two putt was required and achieved.  4 for 2 points.  The green.

HIGH OUT (7): Named for the position of the green overlooking the Eden Estuary.  I didn't remember this hole very well which is surprising as it may be the best on the front nine.  A well struck drive leaked a bit right - Kosmo Kevin thought it was in the gorse bushes protecting the right side of the fairway (most have which have been removed since).  I was convinced it hadn't been far enough right, but after a few minutes of searching the ball was not to be found.  I marched on sullenly when Kosmo shouted that there was a Precept just shy of the very large and gathering Shell Bunker.  This is a great working bunker because it does double duty menacing the drive and approach. How I didn't drift the extra two feet into the bunker is a miracle.  Only 60 yards short of the hole, my downhill lie was on the hard pan.  A very delicate pitch over Shell and a secondary pot saw me just off the green right - 14 feet from the hole.  I thought my putt went down, but I couldn't begrudge a 4 for 3 points after thinking an egg was on the card. 

The view of the green from just left of the gorse. 

My pitch shot.

The hole was about as far right and forward as it could possibly be.

We now come to an oddly famous area of the course named The Loop.  #s 8 through 11 turn continuously right until coming back on itself, rather like Spaghetti Junction.  This is the section of TOC which will often see incredible scoring during The Open.  In fact, the handicap player will likely never have a better opportunity to score four consecutive 3s on a championship links.  In truth, the holes as a set are mixed bag of quality, but the excitement of having so many birdie opportunities is welcome relief for anybody who knows how tough the final seven holes can be.

SHORT ( 8) : 8 iron over the flag; missed the 10 footer for birdie. It wasn't Kosmo's day.  It seemed every bunker he found resulted in pitching out sideways or to the rear.

END (9): A bland hole which only the most fervent TOC supporters could love.  It was clear the time was ripe to regrip a few spanners after hitting a drive through the bunkers on the right while my club flew out of my hands left.  I saw many pitches hit previous greens and come to a fairly quick stop so I decided to hit a running 6 iron for the remaining 60 yards to the flag.  It worked a treat, but my putter didn't.  4 for 2 points. 

36 out for 23 points.  I figured I made up all the lost ground from the previous two days on Paulie and that Kosmo was just about done and dusted. 

BOBBY JONES (10): The previous name for this hole was simply The Tenth.  In 1972 the name of the hole was changed to honour Bobby Jones.  Below is a photo of the dedication.

A few bunkers down the right protect the best angle of approach, but as on several previous holes, ground features are the real worry.  Just shy of the green is a swale which leaves the golfer with the option of a pitch or a runner.  I hit a good drive up the middle, mucked up the pitch a bit and went 45 feet past the hole.  A great first putt saved my bacon.  4 for 2 points.

HIGH (in) (11): One of the signature holes of The Old Course, High (in) crosses the 7th and is nothing short of brilliant.  Strath Bunker and the slope of the back to front green are all it takes to terrorize most any golfer.  However, with prevailing wind off the left Hill too plays its role.  A 6 iron left and long left a very dicey 35 footer downhiller moving to the right.  I hit a great putt and walked away a happy man.  3 for 3 points.

By now I thought a very good score was a possibility and nicking the Cup was an even more likely outcome.  BUT, a lot of tough holes more or less back into the wind had to be played.

HEATHERY (in) (12): Stroke and a few other blind bunkers essentially block the fairway up to about 210 yards.  This may not seem a long way, but the wind has a way of taming cannon-like driving.  I had a good memory of this hole and knew the approach is very difficult.  I wanted to get as far up the fairway as I could, but wasn't sure I could make the carry.  Taking a chance I aimed for the gorse down the left.  The gamble paid off for I was in the rough - this would kill any spin generated and make it easier to fly and hold the raised middle section of the green.  I hit a great wedge to 20 feet, but hit an indifferent putt.  4 for 3 points.   My approach.

HOLE O'CROSS (in) (13): Coffins and Nick's Bunkers are dead middle of the fairway, although the left side of the short grass can't be seen from the tee. If one goes over the top of the bunkers Cat's Trap Bunker is waiting at about 270 yards out.  Further right is an odd butte like dune hemming the fairway in. After watching Kosmo fail to make the carry, I decided to risk all and hit a beautiful drive next to Cat's Trap.  A half 8 iron over Lion's Mouth to 25 feet long and left gave me a reasonable chance at birdie.  The putt fooled me (again) as it went right when I thought the opposite was the case. 4 for 2 points. There was heartening news on the Paulie front as he had just three putted from an immense distance and took a five on the previous hole.   This is what the approach looks like not more than ten yards right of my drive; quite troublesome.

A closer look at the 13th.

Lion's Mouth.

LONG (14): I wanted nothing to do with OOB so aimed just right of the Beardies and I ended up in the Elysian Fields.  From here I didn't have a clue as to where I needed or wanted to hit my second.  I recalled the church steeple was a safe line (and assumed this meant the furthest right steeple), but I didn't know the distance.  It turned out I was lucky as I pushed my 2 hybrid directly over Hell.  With only 40 or 50 yards to the flag I was more perplexed than ever. Knowing there was a certain bogey hole on 17, greed got hold of me.  I wanted a birdie and risked bouncing one over the high humps protecting a right hand hole location.  No go!  My weak pitch left the well deserved result in no doubt.  Trying to putt over the large step-up was never going to work. Heavy sigh; my greed was costly.  6 for 2 points.  Maybe one just needs to head for the rear of the green in three and hope for a two putt.  I didn't recall the break in the fairway for Hell.

CARTGATE  (in) (15): Drive near Miss Granger's Bosom's; approach with a five iron 30 feet beyond the flag.  A bit of a loose approach putt some 7 feet beyond the hole left me with a slippery downhiller to save par.  The putt wasn't positive, but it did drop.  4 for 3 points. A look at the green - yet another with tremendous interest.

CORNER OF THE DYKE (16): I was never going for the "strictly for amateurs" route down the right.  I hit one of my best drives all day; just left of Principal's Nose and Deacon Sime.  Feeling pretty cocky walking up the fairway, my heart sank when I realized there was no fairway left of P's N.  When did this happen?  I guess its up to the caretakers of Woking to carry the torch; the folks at St Andrews are too worried about protecting par. A claggy lie was staring back at me so I decided to take an extra club to ensure carrying Grant's Bunker, Wig Bunker and the bank.  I hoicked the 9 iron straight into the rear bunker.  No worries, up and out to five feet....missed the bloody putt for par.  5 for 1 point. 

ROAD (17): I can't say its a pretty hole, but looks aren't everything.  The word is that one must hit over the one of the "o"s on the side of the shack, lord knows if I know which one.  I tried to hit a power fade into prime position down the right and double crossed myself.  Left with about 215 yards to the flag directly over Scholar's and Progressing Bunkers...with the road just beyond, the green wasn't an enticing prospect.  I half heartedly went for it with a 2 hybrid from a sketchy lie and only managed to squirt my ball to the sloppy rough down the right 40 yards short of the green.  The hole was short of the Road Bunker, so the running 8 iron had to be precise; it barely climbed the bank and just about stayed on the green and safely from the Road Bunker.  I missed the 15 foot par putt, but felt fortunate to grab 2 points as I didn't hit a good shot in five.

In my quest to shoot par I took my eyes off the prize.  Paulie's canny lay-up (I assume it was a lay-up because he hit an iron for his second) signaled to me that he thought the Cup was still up for grabs.

The festive atmosphere the previous evening before drinks was quite enjoyable.

TOM MORRIS (18): It is now that the golfer notices there are no bunkers littering the landscape of 1 and 18.  The Swilcan Burn and Valley of Sin provide all the interest the golfer could need.  Unless the hole is over The Valley of Sin, I think driving at the R&A where the fairway is flat makes most sense. I hit a corker dead on line some twenty yards past Granny Clark's Wynd.  A straight forward wedge left a two inch birdie putt - 3 points to finish and the Price-Evans Cup! 

OUT: 36 for 23 points
IN: 38 for 21 points
TOTAL 74 for 44 points

2011 3* 

Ciao 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 01:57:01 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

Re: 2011/12 Winter Tour: One Man’s Gad Round THE OLD COURSE
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 02:46:34 PM »
“Critically, Paulie missed his birdie putt (seen closest to the flag) and Kosmo Kev was out to lunch.”

I hope Bob Crosby reads this thread.

So Sean, as a 10(?) handicap on level par through 11 holes, what name did they have for you?

(Looking forward to the denouement.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:57:42 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »
Now I'm SERIOUSLY annoyed...
 :-*
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

James Boon

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:40:53 AM »
Great round Sean! And well worthy of the hole by hole analysis  ::) However, next time we play, its very possible you will have to be playing several shots lower than whatever handicap you attempt to declare...  ;) Say "Hi!" to Paulie for me.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 04:43:27 AM »
Indeed.  Sounds like The Yank should be playing off something like 4 or 5 this weekend!

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 05:31:23 AM »
Great tour as always, Sean. +2 you player, nicely done.

What do you boys have planned for thuis weekend, MP? Go on, make me jealous.

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 05:50:07 AM »
You think 10 is weaker than 9, Brian?

For mine, at the very least 10 has a much more interesting green.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 06:32:44 AM »
Great tour as always, Sean. +2 you player, nicely done.

What do you boys have planned for thuis weekend, MP? Go on, make me jealous.
Make you jealous?  With your play list this past year?

As Brian says, a damp Autumnal day at Notts beckons.

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 06:42:30 AM »
Mark, I'd take a round at Mitcham with you, Boonie and Sean (no diss to Brian, haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet) over a solo round at any course you care to name. Truly. Hope you guys have fun, times like these I wish I was still over there...

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 07:49:52 AM »
Mark, I'd take a round at Mitcham with you, Boonie and Sean (no diss to Brian, haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet) over a solo round at any course you care to name. Truly. Hope you guys have fun, times like these I wish I was still over there...
You say the nicest things.....

Hopefully we'll get to see you over here again some day.  Ideally before your countrymen remember how to play cricket.

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 10:49:15 AM »
Sean,

So having had another go, if you set aside the cost, slow round, access issues etc. has your opinion of the course itself changed much? (apologies if I missed something above)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 11:21:05 AM »
Sean, I am not a long hitter at all as you know, so my caddy from my last three rounds on the Old has me drive toward the road that separates the Old and the Eden.  From there in the light rough, it's a PW more or less down the axis of the green.   I would really be nervous about the line you took.   Looking back you can see what a minefield of bunkers is out there, and your play brought most of them into play!

Great round.  I love 10's who shoot 74's!   ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »
Fun read this morning, Sean. Thanks for sharing it here. I must say, a visit to St. Andrews along with a play at The Old Course moves to the top of the list for me. Wish I had friends who wanted to go with me.

Sean_A

Re: 2011/12 Winter Tour: One Man’s Gad Round THE OLD COURSE New
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »
Spangles

It is more important what I call folks who whine after getting beat, but decorum prevents me from doing it here. 

Canary & Boony

I am happy to play off scratch this weekend - if there is no money involved.

SHEEHY

#9 is a dud.  I know folks pretend its alright, but we all know the truth.  #10 is no worse than #s 2 & 3 - okay holes that would be seen as special because of the greens on most other courses - that is where #9 fails miserably.

I liked the course enough this time to bump it up.  Its still a 3* for me, but I would be willing to pay the summer rate - for now, but the fee will continue to sky rocket in the future.  In terms of quality, it is probably top 5 for me.  I still don't like the price, the hassle involved with a game, no clubhouse by the 18th, but crucially, I would be willing to organize a game there whereas before I wasn't. 

Eric

You can always put on that college boy grin with the begging bowl out near the first tee - it works.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 05:11:12 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Mayhugh

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 10:54:05 PM »
Nice tour & round, Sean.

I haven't played TOC since 1995, and am really feeling the need to get back up there. 

Frank M

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 11:26:30 PM »
I can't even explain how much I love TOC...everything about it is perfect.

Jason Topp

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 11:34:09 PM »
Thanks Sean and nice round.  Your description brought back a some good memories:

On 5, i was 40 yards from the front of the green and hit 7 iron. The hole was near the back and my caddie had me clubbed right.   I loved hitting that long of a shot from that close to the green.

My favorite bunker name is "progressing."  It is a perfect insult to someone struggling down the left of 17.

When I first visited in 1991 we stayed in the town the entire week. One evening an American was in the bar ecstatic after shooting a 74. I have no idea what his handicap was but the possibility of shooting a great score is part of what makes the design so wonderful.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 12:51:37 AM »
Fun read this morning, Sean. Thanks for sharing it here. I must say, a visit to St. Andrews along with a play at The Old Course moves to the top of the list for me. Wish I had friends who wanted to go with me.

There's probably a fat balding drummer around here that would be glad to tee it up with you provided you give him plenty of time to rearrange his concert commitments.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 01:59:53 AM »
Thanks Sean and nice round.  Your description brought back a some good memories:

On 5, i was 40 yards from the front of the green and hit 7 iron. The hole was near the back and my caddie had me clubbed right.   I loved hitting that long of a shot from that close to the green.

My favorite bunker name is "progressing."  It is a perfect insult to someone struggling down the left of 17.

When I first visited in 1991 we stayed in the town the entire week. One evening an American was in the bar ecstatic after shooting a 74. I have no idea what his handicap was but the possibility of shooting a great score is part of what makes the design so wonderful.  

Jason

I to only just noticed the name of "progressing" on this trip and it did seem to be poking a bit of fun at the poor man caught out in the clag to the left. 

Ciao

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 06:14:22 AM »

The Old Course, TOC or for me the course at the bottom of the garden, well I should say the bottom of my father’s and grandmothers home. It was never known to me in my early days as The Old Course, my father wanted a game, he went golfing, yet I do recall the New being called by its name, although the Jubilee still for many of us is the Duffers Course even though its name changes well over a 100 years ago.

TOC, whatever one thinks of it, is there yet not in your face but gently calling out for you to come play a round. The 1st Tee and the 18th Green are magnets to passing pedestrians and drivers alike. Standing outside the old shop by the fence looking over the 18th Hole & 1st Tee to the West Sands is memorising because when you come to your senses you wonder where all the time went. No TOC is not in your face but it gets within you or your mind leaving you the only option open, you have to play a round and again experience the thrill that – for me – only the old girl can generate no matter how many times you play.

There is also another feeling that it’s our course, more so than the New or the Jubilee, so being ours we should enjoy her at every opportunity, but then I say that everyone should test the waters and play a round. But please if it is your first time play without a Caddie or ask him just to carry your clubs, then on your next round (in the afternoon?) you can get assistance from the Caddie. It’s a real great way to introduce yourself to the Old Lady while pushing your golfing ability in navigating the course while at the same time have the time to observe the GCA of the course. However do it the other way round and you will never achieve that initial feeling of exhilaration, or pick up on many of the GCA points, so remember that moment will be gone forever, never to be experienced again – the first time repeated 18 times starting off on the 1st Tee and finished by the Walk of Champions over the Swilken Bridge up to the 18th Green over the Valley of Sin, all the while with your own audience made up of unknown passer-by’s sharing your moment of triumph. But remember you are playing our course at the bottom of the garden. ;)

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »

Jason

I to only just noticed the name of "progressing" on this trip and it did seem to be poking a bit of fun at the poor man caught out in the clag to the left. 

Ciao

Just before Progressing is the Scholar's Bunker.   You will be a good scholar if it only takes you one foray into either to teach to you to play safely well right in the future!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 03:08:32 PM »

There's probably a fat balding drummer around here that would be glad to tee it up with you provided you give him plenty of time to rearrange his concert commitments.

...and save his pennies up!!!
 ;D
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Eric Smith

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 02:19:32 PM »
FBD (via Garland),

The prospect of that, to me, would be considered the Ultimate Old Course Experience. I have an idea! Hang tight Marty, or better yet, I'll just send you a PM.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 03:42:31 PM »
Well done Sean....as someone who only sees the course televised during the Open, the pix posted really give a great feel for the contour of the linksland.  Thanks.

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 12:16:46 PM »
Bruce

The great thing about TOC is that it all about fun.  Its great to see the pros on tv with the right attitude - they are the ones with smiles on their faces.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back