News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Bodo

Re: The Flag--Dormie Network copycat?
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 06:58:50 PM »
Please
No more ads for ANY network.
Partnership with LPGA notwithstanding... :-[

Just answering a question, Jeff. You don't get to determine which ones I answer.
Simple answer is to not post in a topic thread if you don't care for the subject matter or parts of the conversation. I, for one, find this informative and feel that golf network memberships will ultimately become the norm in the industry, as many younger generation golfers like the idea of the benefits that come with private club membership, but don't want to feel as though they are pigeonholed into playing the same course dozens of times, if not more, a year because they feel obligated to in order to get the most bang for their membership buck.

I know I felt that way when I was a member at Western Golf and Country Club the past three years. In my mind, in order to get the most from the monthly dues and annual fees I paid each year, I felt obligated to play there at least twice a week during the season. This, unfortunately, did not leave room or time to play many courses outside of Western. Now that I no longer have that burden, I'm playing a broader variety of courses this year than I have in years and I love it! What I do miss, however, are the amenities that come with private club membership that many public courses simply do not offer or have available, i.e. a men's only grill, private lockers, shoe shine service, showers, etc. I miss that about my former club and was reminded as much when I played the Inverness Club last Saturday.

As stated in an earlier post, if there were a golf membership network, such as Dormie, that had a few top Southeast Michigan privates in their course portfolio, I would give strong consideration to buying in knowing that I can play the courses near me anytime I want in addition to courses in their network that are out of state or country and be welcome, greeted and treated as a member. That's cool to me and is an important facet to my overall enjoyment of the golfing experience. It'll be interesting to see how this segment of the market changes and grows in the coming years should demand increase, which I believe it will. As with the ski industry, you'll likely have three or four large companies controlling much of the market. Who those are is yet to be determined, as there seems to be a new golf membership network popping up each month promising different levels of experiences and amenities.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Mike Bodo

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2019, 07:27:06 PM »
Well, no sooner than I spoke, here's another golf membership network to add to the list.

http://www.privateclubnetwork.com/Brochures/Private_Club_Network_Interest_Brochure

These guys tout themselves as the only reciprocal network for private clubs. However, when you look at the list of the 100+ clubs in the U.S. and Canada in their portfolio, it's not very impressive.

https://www.privateclubnetwork.com/SiteDesign/Brochures/PrivateClubNetworkClubParticipantsbyState.aspx

The majority of the clubs I'd say are third and fourth tier privates, with a few second tier clubs scattered here and there to add a modicum of value. Methinks these are financially struggling clubs hoping to make ends meet through the reciprocity system Private Club Network provides. From my own personal experience, I've had more than one person tell me that Plum Hollow CC in MI, at one time a very good Colt and Allison course, had lost a lot of members the past few years and was considering going semi-private. Perhaps they went the network reciprocity route to stave that off, but it makes you wonder if in fact the majority of clubs here are on the endangered species list and this is a last ditch attempt for them to avoid going the daily fee route or worse, insolvency?

Jeff Loh

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 07:29:46 PM »
"...mens only grill..."
Seriously?

Mike Bodo

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 10:59:48 PM »
"...mens only grill..."
Seriously?
Yes. Sorry if you have a problem with that. Most private clubs have mixed grills. Few, but some, maintain men's grills in addition to mixed grills. I prefer clubs with the latter, as do a lot of guys I know - younger guys at that.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 11:11:40 PM »
"...mens only grill..."
Seriously?
Yes. Sorry if you have a problem with that. Most private clubs have mixed grills. Few, but some, maintain men's grills in addition to mixed grills. I prefer clubs with the latter, as do a lot of guys I know - younger guys at that.

I have belonged to clubs with both men's and women's grills plus a mixed grill.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Bodo

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2019, 11:37:56 PM »
I have belonged to clubs with both men's and women's grills plus a mixed grill.

Thumbs Up!

corey miller

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2019, 12:24:17 PM »

Are the courses in any of these networks good enough to travel many hours to play?  Other than Hidden Creek (which for me did not meet this standard) I have not played any in the Dormie network.

It is a great expense to travel and stay over and play (especially with  a group) so other than the "pace of play"  relative to public destination places, the Dormie network has limited appeal.

My guess is that if Dormie can attract a bunch of members that also belong to the great golf/country clubs of this country, it can thrive.  But if it only attracts people looking for cheaper alternatives to their local clubs it will not.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2019, 01:16:01 PM »
In all the years I have been a national member of clubs throughout the country I have yet to meet a skinflint. Not even at Ballyneal.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:17:42 PM by John Kavanaugh »

John Emerson

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2019, 05:28:15 PM »
What do you get for that $6500?  Does it include a certain number of nights and accommodation?

I assume $6,500/year just gets you access?  Lodging , guest fees, etc. would be extra. It looks really new, so I assume there will be some movement in features/benefits/price...

6500$??  That’s cheap!  I inquired about another of these network clubs and it was double that figure for initiation and 3-5k annually.  I laughed a lot when I got the email.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2019, 05:55:45 PM »
In all the years I have been a national member of clubs throughout the country I have yet to meet a skinflint. Not even at Ballyneal.

That's only because you never traveled to all of your clubs. New England Yankees are cheap, and I am pretty sure you joined one back in the day :)
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2019, 06:11:27 PM »

Are the courses in any of these networks good enough to travel many hours to play?  Other than Hidden Creek (which for me did not meet this standard) I have not played any in the Dormie network.

It is a great expense to travel and stay over and play (especially with  a group) so other than the "pace of play"  relative to public destination places, the Dormie network has limited appeal.

My guess is that if Dormie can attract a bunch of members that also belong to the great golf/country clubs of this country, it can thrive.  But if it only attracts people looking for cheaper alternatives to their local clubs it will not.

Very good points. Most of the members at Dormie are national and belong to at least one local club. Part of the draw is that the courses are uncrowded, have great food, and have lodging options. The service is impeccable. You might find that a bunch of folks feel differently about Hidden Creek. Folks that are looking for a cheap alternative to public golf won't join.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff Loh

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2019, 11:17:43 PM »
Tom W
Let's talk turkey.

5 days at Briggs Ranch. "Great food" and "impeccable service."
Would be very curious to know $$$ for lodging, food, airfare, etc.
And how was the golf?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2019, 11:10:06 AM »

Now there is Icon Golf.

http://www.icongolf.com/

I guess it is related to the Icon Ski pass but with different resorts.

Sonoma Golf Club ,The Golf Club at Dove Mountain, Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club , Kingsmill Resort

Jeff, I IM'd you.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:15:46 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back