News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Re: Why did (or didn't) you join the private club that you did (or didn't)?
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 11:04:53 AM »
Yes, there are a range of individual circumstances ....
I live in Tidewater VA, 10 minutes from Riverfront, an early Doak, which is a public access course (prepostrously cheap for the value).  Practice facility is great. However the conditions of play (management, slow play, too many jerks and sandbaggers in the golf association, too many outings when I want to play, cart girls throwing it around, inferior tee times) are making me re-think why I have bought a yearly there for the last 2 years.  I would like to see management turn it into a semi-private that I would be willing to pay up for.

Golf in my area is really a good bargain and value relative to many other parts of the country....

My conumdrum is this:
- put up with what I have, superior course being the big plus
                               or
- pay up (a lot for me) for a private and play there all the time for the investment (good courses, play when I want, better maintenance)
                               or
- play across the street at another public access course, not a bad course, cheaper, much better golf association and tee times, thus allowing me to take golf trips when I like
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:17:30 AM by Carl Rogers »

Carl Johnson

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 04:11:22 PM »
Primary reason I joined my club was that a number of my friends played there and encouraged me to join and play with them.  I did and still do (and play with new friends there as well).  Proximity to my home (10 minutes) and a good price were also deciding factors, as was the fact that it was a golf club, not a full-scale country club, so I didn't have to help cover the costs of things I was not interested in.  At the time I joined the course and practice areas were just o.k.  Luckily, they are both much improved now.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:13:16 PM by Carl Johnson »

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 06:01:13 PM »
I am mildly curious about the idea of "type" of members.  As a firm believer (once you get to know folks and circles of folks) folks is folks and group dynamics, how is people ascertain that a certain membership is not for them? I always find this a strange stance to take.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 06:05:54 PM »
Yes, there are a range of individual circumstances ....
I live in Tidewater VA, 10 minutes from Riverfront, an early Doak, which is a public access course (prepostrously cheap for the value).  Practice facility is great. However the conditions of play (management, slow play, too many jerks and sandbaggers in the golf association, too many outings when I want to play, cart girls throwing it around..............

You lost me on that last sentence ;D ;D ;D ??? ??? ???
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 10:20:47 PM »
There are roughly 15 clubs within a 30 minute drive for me.  I have played them all and each offers pros and cons.

For me the key criteria

1 location closer to home and work more use it gets
2 people, are they fun stuck up friendly closed off decent amount of similar aged folks
3 participation in tournaments and events range of skill levels, do the scratch guys not want to tee it up with the 15's
4 conditions
5 bar and Resturant have a good welcoming environment where I want to hang out
6 quality of the course
7 price

For me the club is the cornerstone of my social and recreation life.  I play golf, hang out, eat and drink with these people and our families have become close.  I have been a member of 3 different places in the same area and liked them all but location was key decison to switch.  When there is a club across the street I need a good reason to drive 30 minutes instead?

Dan

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 01:42:04 PM »
Enhanced ladies - that's a new one on me!  :o
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back