News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Mike Whitaker Farewell to Broadway Tour
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »

Michael:

To make us with normal lives feel a little better about ourselves, can you at least highlight where the weather was not perfect or where you played bad.  I usually don't ask for the negative, but in order to swallow this list, it may require it.  At least it will help me get through the winter, which has already started.  LOL

In all truth, can't wait to see it.

I'll definitely highlight the weather (which was mostly good). As for the golf... while this year has been the most amazing golfing ADVENTURE of my life, it has seen without a doubt the worst golfing EXECUTION of my life. Karma is a bitch!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Eric Smith

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Come 2012 I will return to my usual routine and fade back into my normal state of GCA obscurity.  :'(

Mac Plumart

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »
Mike was spotted at Dismal River.  He and John Lyon beat me and my partner in our match...but at least we made it interesting. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »
Mike was spotted at Dismal River.  He and John Lyon beat me and my partner in our match...but at least we made it interesting. 
You are very kind... JNC Lyon beat you guys. I don't think I finished more than two or three holes!!!  :'( :'( :'(
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael George

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »

Michael:

Without spoiling the list, what was the single best highlight of the year - other than the dinner that started this discussion?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2011, 05:24:33 PM »

Michael:

Without spoiling the list, what was the single best highlight of the year - other than the dinner that started this discussion?
From a golfing standpoint it would have to be watching Stan Dodd make a hole-in-one on #10 of the Championship Course at Royal Dornoch during the Stableford round of the Captain's Invitational. Priceless.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »
Howard - My wife and I are moving back to Greenville, SC on Dec 1. We will be in SC for at least a year until we decided what we are going to do with the rest of our lives. There is a VERY good chance we will be back in NYC from 2013 on for at least 4-6 months of the year.  :)

As for 2011... I'll not be going on as many trips as I did this year, but I'll definitely be leaving SC on occasion to see some of my GCA friends! GCA has changed my life forever!!!

Rumor has it that a good number of GCA'ers will be visiting SC in 2012, so my travel schedule might be a bit easier next year.  ;)

I was actually in NYC last weekend. As if it wasn't bad enough that you were out of town at the Dixie Cup, I encountered the rediculousness of an October snowfall. Definitely not the best timing.

Look forward to crossing paths again in 2012 -- be it in SC or elsewhere.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2011, 05:54:14 AM »
When you are a famous guy like Mike Whitaker, not only do you play famous courses, the Supers also place famous pin positions at famous holes. Scott Ramsey the Super at Yale has a son at the USC Gamecocks. Here is the seldom used lower pin on the 10th green at Yale with Mr Whitaker tending:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:57:04 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »
That's where the pin was when I played Yale my only visit, the day before the outing at the Creek Club.   The putt from well behind the hole required quite a crazy line way out to the right.   I know that because we waited in the fairway for a bit while the group ahead (led by a famous GCAer/member of the Green Party) fooled around with that putt!   ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »
Bill

So you remembered that putt.

It was quite interesting.

It reminded me of the old ramps in Yankee stadium

Great local knowledge hole location.

The only thing that could have been better about the dinner, would have been if it had followed a round of golf with everyone.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2011, 03:26:09 PM »
Bill

So you remembered that putt.

It was quite interesting.

It reminded me of the old ramps in Yankee stadium

Great local knowledge hole location.

The only thing that could have been better about the dinner, would have been if it had followed a round of golf with everyone.

It was memorable!    ;D

I need a game with you one of these days, hopefully before mine completely vanishes!

Dave Falkner

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »
That's where the pin was when I played Yale my only visit, the day before the outing at the Creek Club.   The putt from well behind the hole required quite a crazy line way out to the right.   I know that because we waited in the fairway for a bit while the group ahead (led by a famous GCAer/member of the Green Party) fooled around with that putt!   ;D

Bill

I was playing right in front of the famous Mr. Whitaker on the day in the picture and I had that  putt  I tried the line all the way to the right and it rode the ramp down to about 4 feet to the right of the cup

after due deliberation I proceeded to miss the 4 footer

however, it was a gas trying to figure the putt out

JNC Lyon

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 11:30:50 PM »
You are very kind... JNC Lyon beat you guys. I don't think I finished more than two or three holes!!!  :'( :'( :'(

To be fair, I was on that week.  But damn, Mac, Mike and I only eked out a victory on the last hole!  That was a good, tough match.  Mike was very helpful with moral support.  ;D

On a golf architecture note, how wild is that 10th green at Yale?!  You climb straight uphill off the tee, only to climb straight uphill on the second shot over a ridiculously deep bunker.  Then, you get to those green, which you might think is the wildest green in existence if you hadn't just experienced the greens at 8 and 9.  You can't help but love every minute of it!
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Sean_A

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2011, 04:50:20 AM »
Unfortunately, I had only one game with this year, of which the most memorable aspect came the night before.  Lets just say you don't wanna meet this normally cool and collected Gamecock in a dark alley after putting on airs with him. 

I know Whitty was concerned about getting out for golf while living in NYC and I am pleased he was able to play so many dream come true courses on trips and locally.  If anybody deserves a bit of golfing fortune its Whitty - proper chap Whitty is and I have a lot of time for the man.

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Kirk

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2011, 12:51:03 AM »
I saw Mike Whitaker at The Dunes Club outing.  My question is how do you get invited into the inner circle of GCA elders with so little time and experience?   What, you have to be nice, too?  Dang!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2011, 01:47:24 PM »
It is no coincidence that the group photograph is fuzzy.  That surely provides plausible deniable for each of the members of the GCA Illuminati.  Be afraid of this group - be very afraid.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

James Bennett

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2011, 05:45:45 AM »
I think Mike is having more farewells than Dame Nelly Melba.  Hopefully there are a lot more to go.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2011, 05:53:44 AM »
We had the pleasure of Mr. Whitaker's company at Kingston Heath in March. A memorable day with one of nature's gentlemen.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Whitty will have to buy all new hats!   ;D

Mark McKeever

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2011, 09:00:06 AM »
Thats a great pin on hole 10 at Yale!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back