News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

I was finally able to play in the Travis Society outing last fall and it was very fun and they pledge all the surplus to the scholarship fund. I missed Ed Homsey at the outing, but with his permission, I am posting the following to share with potential candidates:

https://travissociety.com

The Walter J. Travis Memorial Scholarships and Walter J. Travis-Rudy Zocchi Memorial Scholarship

For 2018, The Walter J. Travis Society is offering four scholarships for students who are outstanding amateur golfers, or pursuing careers in any one of the following fields of undergraduate or graduate study:

• Landscape Architecture, with goal of becoming a golf course architect.
  • Turfgrass Management, with goal of becoming a golf course superintendent
  • Professional Golf Management, with goal of becoming a Director of Golf and/or golf club professional
  • Sports Journalism, with special interest in golf
Go to:  www.TravisSociety.com/college-scholarship/ for more details, and application forms

Deadline for application:  June 1, 2018

Any questions?  Contact:  Ed Homsey, Scholarship Chairman, at TravisSociety@yahoo.com or 585-663-6120
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Terry Lavin

Re: 2018 - The Walter J. Travis Memorial Scholarships with Ed Homsey
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 07:12:44 PM »
Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but “Sports Journalism, with an emphasis in golf?”  Oh my. As a Journalism major from 40 years ago I can tell you that would not be a good choice.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ed Homsey

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:16:48 AM »
Perhaps that is why we have had only one applicant, who sorta fit that category, in all the years we've offered these scholarships.  Our motivation for including that category was to recognize the contributions of Walter J. Travis in journalism.  We'll probably keep the category, just in case there's a sports jounalism student who comes along who also happens to be a golfer.  If you should run into such a student, let them know about our scholarships.  We'd welcome his/her application.

I appreciate Mike's posting of our recent announcement.  I would add that a few of our scholars are currently out in the field involved in golf course design or the care of golf courses.  We're pretty proud of them, and pleased that we were able, in a very small way, to contribute to their success as students and professionals.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 04:07:31 PM »
Just received a PM inquiring about whether high school seniors are eligible for our scholarships.  The answer is yes.  We ask only that they provide some evidence of having been accepted by a college/university.  I need to work on the announcement in order to emphasize the eligibility of high school seniors.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back