News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Re: 2012 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #525 on: July 05, 2012, 02:36:54 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

I thought the same thing Richard.

;D ;D ;D
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Michael George

« Reply #526 on: July 05, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »

Mac:  That was because I walked up to you and said "How you doing?"  ;)  Loved the picture of Eric kissing Sam Morrow.  My wife asked me if there were any women on this trip.  I just e-mailed her that photo...she now has no worries about my gca golf trips   ;D  Not that she ever had to worry.  I have 5 kids and am as loyal as my golden retriever.

Richard:  Great meeting you.  Always nice to be around happy people and was great always seeing your smiling face.  Hope our paths meet at future gca events. 
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

JNC Lyon

« Reply #527 on: July 05, 2012, 09:50:39 PM »
Eric Smith's Signature Cabin was simply incredible.  Having drinks under the stars and getting to know Eric and John on Thursday night was maybe my favorite part of the trip. JNC - great guy - tell me when your voice finishes changing  ;D

Call me when you don't hit it 20 yards shorter than I do, punk.  ;D ;D

Agreed, though, the chill sessions on the back porch of the S.C. 4 were a highlight of the trip.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Sam Morrow

« Reply #528 on: July 05, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »
I thought Michael also looked like Joey and I think he has 13 kids.

Michael George

« Reply #529 on: July 05, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »
Sam - I have 5, but they feel like 13 at times  :)  Unlike Joey, all with same wife for 18 years.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Sam Morrow

« Reply #530 on: July 05, 2012, 10:09:02 PM »
Sam - I have 5, but they feel like 13 at times  :)  Unlike Joey, all with same wife for 18 years.

When I was visiting my old juco in Oklahoma I ran into a girl I used to "date" I haven't seen her in 11 years, we had a friendly chat and was giddy when she told me the twins with her were 8. That was a scary 13 seconds. She also plumped up so I made a good call.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #531 on: July 05, 2012, 11:09:05 PM »

When I was visiting my old juco in Oklahoma I ran into a girl I used to "date" I haven't seen her in 11 years, we had a friendly chat and was giddy when she told me the twins with her were 8. That was a scary 13 seconds. She also plumped up so I made a good call.

YOU made a good call? Keep dreaming!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #532 on: July 05, 2012, 11:11:59 PM »

When I was in high school I was taking lessons from a very famous instructor who told me that you want to judge a girl, check out her Mom and see how she will mature. It's still never let me down.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #533 on: July 05, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »

When I was in high school I was taking lessons from a very famous instructor who told me that you want to judge a girl, check out her Mom and see how she will mature. It's still never let me down.

What shape is your Dad in?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #534 on: July 05, 2012, 11:15:18 PM »

Cremated

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #535 on: July 05, 2012, 11:27:37 PM »

Cremated

Well, I guess you don't have to worry about some shapely lady checking out your potential unshapeliness.

JC Jones

« Reply #536 on: July 06, 2012, 07:06:23 AM »

you should have seen his face when I jokingly played Solja Boy on my portable ipod player on the first hole of our match

I do that, only I'm not joking.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Michael George

« Reply #537 on: July 06, 2012, 07:14:49 AM »
A couple of questions:

1.  Can people post pictures from the 5th Major so that others can download them possibly?
2.  What was everyone's favorite and least favorite hole on the Nicklaus course?
3.  Best story/image of the 5th Major?

My answers:

1.  I am collecting my groups pictures and will post when I have them all.

2.  My favorite hole is #11.  Decision on the drive whether to hit driver into the "go zone" on the right of the fairway over the bunker or hit 3 wood and lay up.  Then pretty downhill shot into great green complex.

3.  Best image - driving into Dismal at night and seeing the clubhouse and cottages lit up on top of the hill about a mile out - gorgeous.  Best story - My partner (a 9 handicap) shot 34 against a team in our flight.  They joked that he was a sandbagger, to which my partner indicated that he only plays well when it doesn't matter and he threw them his putter headcover, reading "Fragile".... we were in last place in our flight at the time.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #538 on: July 06, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »

What was everyone's favorite and least favorite hole on the Nicklaus course?

13 is my favorite hole.  Love the centerline bunker and the option of playing over it, short of it, to the right, or left.  I LOVE the approach shot from the left side of the fairway.

14 is my least favorite...I ain't got the game for it.

Best story/image of the 5th Major?

Hands down, Eric's Hundred Hole Hike.

Another good one...Tony meeting Tom Doak.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #539 on: July 06, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »
Best story/image of the 5th Major?
Hands down, Eric's Hundred Hole Hike.
Another good one...Tony meeting Tom Doak.

Come to think of it, I did hear something about Tony getting his book signed.
Awesome job Eric, walking the 100 at Dismal.

Eric Smith

« Reply #540 on: July 06, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »
Thanks guys.

The entire week was a blast, but if forced to highlight a particular moment then I'll go with the midnight cart race down the hill to Mike George's cabin just after he and his 7 buddies arrived. John Lyon, Will Spivey and I were lit pretty good and at one point Spivey was thinking of heading back to his cabin for the night, but with JNC riding shotgun (I think I terrorized him pretty good when we slid down around turn 4) and Spivey on our tail, we made it down to these guys and asked who's ready to do some drinkin. Of course Will got a second wind and Mike and his buddy Aaron followed us back up for beers, vodka tonics, tunes and revelry on the back deck of our cabin. We cut out all the lights to take in the stars and man were they impressive. Can't tell you how much fun that was. Next morning...not so much.

Today, my favorite hole on the golf course is # 4: "Land of Opportunity". You have such a good shot at a 4 (possibly 3) if you just execute!! I birdied it twice in 12 plays last week, so I got that going for me. ____ __ ___ .

I honestly do not have a least favorite. (Home boy).

Lastly, I promise to get my pics up this weekend. I know I have some good ones in there!

Michael George

« Reply #541 on: July 06, 2012, 11:37:57 AM »
Eric:

Forgot to mention another good one.  Aaron and I played 18 on Friday morning before our matches.  When in the fields, we found 3-4 Titliest PRO VI's with the 5th Major logo.  Very nice of you to leave them there for us.  Very generous  ;)

Eric Smith

« Reply #542 on: July 06, 2012, 11:43:32 AM »
Eric:

Forgot to mention another good one.  Aaron and I played 18 on Friday morning before our matches.  When in the fields, we found 3-4 Titliest PRO VI's with the 5th Major logo.  Very nice of you to leave them there for us.  Very generous  ;)

;D ;D ;D

I think I counted six different guys handing me golf balls with the 5th Major logo! Sadly, after Monday's hundred hole hike I had nothing to offer my partner except cold beer on hand whenever he needed it.

Eric Smith

« Reply #543 on: July 06, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »
Brian Sheehy thinks the windmill stands out as one of the more compelling features on the new course. Bogey (obviously) agrees.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #544 on: July 06, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »
Ahh...but if only Brian had young Nick's prodigious length..Close though  :)

Stephen Davis

« Reply #545 on: July 06, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »
That was Nick, and I am pretty sure he was thinking "If I cut the corner and go right over that windmill, it is only a 360 yard carry to the pin. Only question is 3 wood or 3 iron? Hum"

Eric Smith

« Reply #546 on: July 06, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
Ah, yes...my bad. They could be doppelgangers for one another (from this angle anyway ;D).

Cory Lewis

« Reply #547 on: July 06, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »

Funny, I don't remember the windmill being there when I took that photo ;)  But I do like it.  Make it happen CJ!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Dan Herrmann

Re: Re: 2012 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #548 on: July 06, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »
Looks too "Long Island" for Nebraska to me!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #549 on: July 06, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »
As I turned right onto Highway 97 as I left the Prairie Club Monday and cranked up the A/C and Radio Margaritaville I felt like the luckiest guy in the world.  When I started playing the game in 1972 I never envisioned meeting so many remarkable people and visiting so many remarkable places.  From Ripley, Tennessee to Mullen, Nebraska it's been an amazing journey and I can't wait to see what's around the next curve.  Old CB had it right - golf is indeed Scotland's gift.

Bless you all.

Bogey

Oh, my wife asked what it was like to tour the new course with Tom Doak.    My response:  "Imagine spending 4 hours at Martha Stewart's home." 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back