News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: 2012 5th Major at Dismal River **RESULTS**
« Reply #475 on: July 01, 2012, 10:58:05 AM »

Brett_Morrissy

Re: Re: 2012 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #476 on: July 01, 2012, 07:25:12 PM »
Thanks Eric.
Brief explanation of all the numbers pls?
@theflatsticker

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #477 on: July 01, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »
WOW  - There must be 3 times more folks there than last year!

So - what did everybody think of the experience?

Cory Lewis

Re: 2012 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #478 on: July 01, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »
Many thanks to Eric, Chris and the entire staff at Dismal for an amazing weekend in the Sandhills.  Everything about the event was fantastic.  The food was great, the golf course was in tremendous shape, and the staff was phenominal.  

Favorite on course moment:  My partner Sam Morrow and I both had eagle putts on the "windmill" par 5 4th hole during one match.  Neither one of us gets that many eagle putts so that was pretty cool.

Favorite off course moment:  Tony Weiler acting like a giddy school girl while Tom Doak signed his Confidential Guide.  My favorite quote from Tony:  "This just made my year".  Little tip for the rest of you.  If you are handing Tom your confidential guide to sign, the first words out of your mouth should not be "I promise I will not put this on ebay"   :)

Tony and I had a tremendous day at Prairie Club on Thursday so I think it's ok to poke a little fun at him.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:13:58 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Cory Lewis

« Reply #479 on: July 01, 2012, 08:17:31 PM »
This thread isn't really complete without a good picture of our fearless leader.  Apparently getting a tour from Tom Doak of his course under construction brings out emotions in people that I don't really understand  ;D

Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tony Weiler

« Reply #480 on: July 02, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »
Many thanks to Eric, Chris and the entire staff at Dismal for an amazing weekend in the Sandhills.  Everything about the event was fantastic.  The food was great, the golf course was in tremendous shape, and the staff was phenominal.  

Favorite on course moment:  My partner Sam Morrow and I both had eagle points on the "windmill" par 5 4th hole during one match.  Neither one of us gets that many eagle putts so that was pretty cool.

Favorite off course moment:  Tony Weiler acting like a giddy school girl while Tom Doak signed his Confidential Guide.  My favorite quote from Tony:  "This just made my year".  Little tip for the rest of you.  If you are handing Tom your confidential guide to sign, the first words out of your mouth should not be "I promise I will not put this on ebay"   :)

Tony and I had a tremendous day at Prairie Club on Thursday so I think it's ok to poke a little fun at him.

Ha, thanks a lot Cory.  :)  I should have come up with a much better line, but I "choked."  What a great and fun experience.  Can't thank Eric, the Staff at DR, my Partner Mac, and everyone involved.  Was a tough one to leave.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #481 on: July 02, 2012, 09:45:24 AM »

We're off for the back 9 tour later this morning. More to come.

The sign of a great routing...  who changed their existing travel/golf plans to join Doak for the tour of the back 9 on Sunday?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Scott Szabo

« Reply #482 on: July 02, 2012, 10:38:54 AM »
This thread isn't really complete without a good picture of our fearless leader.  Apparently getting a tour from Tom Doak of his course under construction brings out emotions in people that I don't really understand  ;D

What happens at Dismal, should stay at Dismal....
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Brandon Urban

« Reply #483 on: July 02, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
Just got home from one of the best events I have ever attended. Dismal and it's staff were fantastic. Chris Johnston is the real deal. You can tell he really loves that place.

It was so great to finally put some faces to names. I will go into more detail when I get a chance tonight, but I will say I made a lot of new friends over the weekend.

I also have some pics from the Doak tour. I will try to get a few of them up (if it is ok with Tom and the Dismal guys) tonight as well.

Finally, I have to say thanks to our wonderful host, Eric Smith. Not only was it great to meet him, but also a ton of fun to get to play a 9 hole match against him and John Lyon. Eric, all I can say is this weekend was a blast! Thanks!
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Cliff Walston

« Reply #484 on: July 02, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »
As I am sure will be repeated often by many, this was a tremendous event.  Many thanks to Eric, Chris, Greg, and everyone else that worked so hard to make it so enjoyable.  Also, many thanks to Tom Doak for an incredible learning experience.  As someone who isn't in the golf industry and hasn't seen a course being constructed, the tour was fascinating both in terms of hearing the thought processes that went into creating a hole and in seeing holes in every stage of construction and all that goes into that process.  Thanks again to everyone for making this the most enjoyable golf outing I have ever participated in.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #485 on: July 02, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »
In a word. Awesome.
A few random pics.

THE Dismal River.

The shootout.

Our fearless leader.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #486 on: July 02, 2012, 12:14:48 PM »
Was anyone hitting the ball further than Mr. Feinberg?  This was probably his first exposure to a GCA event.  That kid can hit the ball a long, long way.  

Thanks Eric.
Brief explanation of all the numbers pls?

Brett, from what I gather, the top number is the score for a nine hole match (5.5 for example, in a match where the losing team had 3.5 points).  The bottom number is the cumulative score, with the final total in the last box.  Handicap numbers appear next to the player names. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:19:49 PM by Bill Seitz »

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #487 on: July 02, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
One of the most epic weekends in a long time!  Great to meet some of you, and I look forward to the next time.

I am back at the office physically, but my heart is still in Dismal River...so remote, jets don't even fly over!

Joe Fairey

« Reply #488 on: July 02, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »
Airfare/rental car   $$

Golf/lodging         $$

Food/bev            $$

2012 5th Major.........PRICELESS.........thanks to all......

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #489 on: July 02, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »
Even though I was not able to introduce myself to everyone individually it was a great pleasure to watch my real world friends intermingle with my "internet buds".  I wish I had kissed Sam Morrow.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #490 on: July 02, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »
Bill, as you well know, few hit it as far as young Nicholas. The guys in our flight will probably agree, but wonder why he was there w/ such a chop (figures that I'd go for 76 yesterday w/ the Seattle contingent after the Doak back nine - no pressure).

CJ, Greg, and their entire staff were awesome and Dismal River is quite a place. Thanks again Eric for organizing this - we had a great time.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #491 on: July 02, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »
All

Shout out to all of YOU, you made the event fun!  Great to have met (in person) some many from here!

Also, shout out to Greg Dennis and his staff, Chef Eric and the culinary team, and Jagger Mandrell and the maintanance crew.  They deserve accolades far more than me. 

Thanks to my friend Tom Doak for the back porch open discussion and walking tour of the new course!   That was one of the most memorable 24 hours we have ever had.

If we can get it organized, we may do it again this Fall.  Maybe closing weekend.

You guys were a blast!

Eric, nicely played!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #492 on: July 02, 2012, 06:46:37 PM »
I will be taking two foresomes to the Dismal Major in F. It will fill up fast.

John Kirk

« Reply #493 on: July 02, 2012, 08:15:16 PM »
This thread isn't really complete without a good picture of our fearless leader.  Apparently getting a tour from Tom Doak of his course under construction brings out emotions in people that I don't really understand  ;D

What happens at Dismal, should stay at Dismal....

Hilarious.  Totally at ease.

Mike Hogan

« Reply #494 on: July 02, 2012, 08:53:10 PM »
I wanted to thank Eric, CJ, Greg and the entire staff at Dismal for a great weekend.
It was the most well organized event I have ever been a part of, excellent job.

I'm not sure what was more impressive you wrangling 60 GCA'ers or Easy E walking 100 holes!!

A few photos..

The One and Only!!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #495 on: July 02, 2012, 09:15:33 PM »
Those 201 yardage markers are the best!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #496 on: July 02, 2012, 09:30:34 PM »
 I would post my pictures if I could figure out what the hell is wrong with my phone. It's cool to know that Kav regrets not kissing me. :o In regards to that picture is was kind of awkward, Eric was standing next to me and I told him to stop poking me with his knee and then casually told me that it wasn't his knee and the blow out bunker on 3 Doak was going to make him blow.

There are to many moments to list and people to thank but I will give a few brief tidbits that I enjoyed. Matt Bosela did a great job off the bat of making every putt he looked at and formally screwing us. Finally meeting Don Mahaffey 1500 miles from where we should have met, meeting Kav and he was friendly, and don't even get me started on Bogey and Whitaker! We had a blast BS'ing on the back porch of the Sheehy, Smith, Lyon, Spivey cabin, Carson told the great Jack Nicklaus story ever (wore an Ashworth shirt today!), and then Tony and Tom Doak, you really had to be there.

I am going to start another thread detailing all the courses I saw on the trip (I think it's 13) but I leave everyone with one thing to think about, "WILL YOU SIGN MY BOOK?"

Eric Smith

« Reply #497 on: July 02, 2012, 10:59:32 PM »
Wow. I got home at 2am and slept until 4 this afternoon. 8 days in the sandhills whipped me pretty good!

As to the photo posted now three times (!) on this thread ;D; I love Sam I Am. The moment I first saw him outside the window at Jack's I sprinted out the door to give him a big ol' bear hug. It was surely one of the least disappointing internet friend meetings in the history of the white fire grid. At least on my end anyway. ;) Just as fun and real a guy as you'll ever hope to meet. So we have our little memento thanks to our good friend Cory and his telephoto lens. I'm a little groggy but I want to post about the event. Thanks too all of you for the kind words.

---

A list to help get things rolling...

Things overheard on the back patio of Signature 4 last weekend:

1. "What if a lion jumped up out of the grass behind me and ate me right in front of you guys?"

2. "Listen, the stars we're seeing now are a picture of the stars from like 200 years ago. Seriously. No, seriously, they are."

3. "Where's Hogan? Asleep? Go wake his ass up!"

4. "Who wants another vodka tonic?"

4b. "Who needs another scotch?"

5. "I have become comfortably numb."

6. "It's midnight. (carlights) HAS to be Mike George and his crew. Let's drive down to their cabins and drink beer with them!"

7. John Lyon meet Donna Chang.

8. "Win this one and you're one step closer to Jack"

And this is all BEFORE the tournament started...

It was a seriously good time seeing all of you out at Dismal River. I had more fun than I deserve. And what a great crew of guys to share the week with. All were there to have fun and enjoy some competition which can lead to a very good event. We had a lot of help. Greg Dennis and his staff are consummate professionals and understood and executed the plan without a hitch. I am so proud of the job they did. THANK YOU.

Jagger Mandrell and the rest of the grounds crew have the golf course playing like a racetrack in challenging conditions - 90 days without rain - and a new golf course siphoning irrigation water from the existing one for its grow-in. Through all of the challenges they are facing out there, the tournament conditions were absolutely superb. THANK YOU.

Chef Eric - my friend with skills like you would not believe. THANK YOU. I know most of you had plenty of opportunities to interact with Chef (or Big E, as I like to call him) and discover that he is a people person too. Loves to chat it up with his 'subjects' and get feedback on what it is he and his staff do best - make kick ass food. I can't believe I stayed 8 nights and forgot to eat CJ's pork chop, but I did. Had everything else though. :)

Tom Doak - THANK YOU. That was the best 4 hours I have ever spent on a golf course. You don't know how much it means to me that you took the time to do this for our group. I can't wait until she opens.

Chris Johnston - THANK YOU. I know you don't like for me to give you any credit so just shut your eyes for twenty seconds, okay?

I just spent a week with Chris, shared breakfast and dinner with him most every day and rode shotgun in his Polaris for hours on end all over the place. Heck we went places I didn't even know existed on the property. Lots of them. I know many of you know this about him already, but I'm going to say it again - Chris has to be one of the most knowledgeable, passionate and generous guys out there in an ownership role in the business today. I am extremely fortunate to know him and even more so to call him a friend. I could not have put this thing together in the manner in which we did if it weren't for him.

Last but certainly not least, the 59 of you who joined me at my club in the middle of Nebraska for a golf tournament on the week of the Fourth of July: THANK YOU. This Bud's For You!!! What an incredibly fun bunch of GCAers and friends we had out. I had the opportunity to speak with each and every one of you and surprisingly enough for me I could pick each of you out of a police line up after spending a few days with you at Dismal. Pretty cool stuff. I hope to have the opportunity to play golf with all of you over the coming months and years. Let's do it again in 2013. One step closer to Jack!

p.s. Rode back to Denver with my partner and fellow Dismalite John Lyon and I think you'll have an opportunity to come back even sooner for his clambake. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:42:45 AM by Eric Smith »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #498 on: July 02, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »
You forgot about me blowing up John's bathroom. :D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #499 on: July 03, 2012, 07:30:50 AM »
I attended the 5th Major last year.  The memories only get better with time; I still love the Sandhills and Dismal.  It's such a special place, but not only because of the golf course, the facilities, or the location - no, it was Chris and Eric and the staff of DR.

I still can't believe you had 60 out there.  Amazing!

So glad the second course is growing in so nicely.  Are the salt licks still  out there for the cattle?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back