News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: 2012 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #400 on: June 14, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »
This thread is starting to sound like a bachelorette destination weekend planning guide.

If GCA is anything it is the fat girl looking to go where she isn't judged.  If Dismal is anything it is a place where no one visitor is bigger than the club. I can't justify the popularity of this event, I'm just not fighting it.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #401 on: June 14, 2012, 09:12:15 PM »
This thread is starting to sound like a bachelorette destination weekend planning guide.

If GCA is anything it is the fat girl looking to go where she isn't judged.  If Dismal is anything it is a place where no one visitor is bigger than the club. I can't justify the popularity of this event, I'm just not fighting it.

No argument there. It was the best golf trip me and my buddies have ever taken.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JC Jones

« Reply #402 on: June 15, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »

I'm not sure there is a better compliment you can pay than that.  I'm glad to heard you had such a great time.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #403 on: June 15, 2012, 09:13:47 AM »
I can't justify the popularity of this event, I'm just not fighting it.

If you think it's popular now, just wait till Dismal Dos officially opens and us unbridled belt-notchers start coming out of the woodwork.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #404 on: June 15, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »

If you think it's popular now, just wait till Dismal Dos officially opens and us unbridled butt boys start coming out of the woodwork.

I fixed your statement for you.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #405 on: June 15, 2012, 10:18:26 AM »

If you think it's popular now, just wait till Dismal Dos officially opens and us unbridled belt-notchers start coming out of the woodwork.

What?  Not open yet? 

I might need to cancel - not.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Terry Lavin

« Reply #406 on: June 15, 2012, 08:13:23 PM »
Dismal River had the following characteristics that combined to make it extra special:

1.  Geographical Surprise:  it's in the middle of nowhere; the fricking club driveway is 17 miles long and the landscape is vast and perfect for golf.
2.  Very fun golf:  the humps, hillocks and green contours are nothing short of rip-snorting fun.  The course got better with each replay.
3.  Fabulous lodging:  our upgraded cabin was straight out of Aspen. Spectacular.
4.  Food and beverage:  As good as Pebble, better than Bandon, and on a par with some of the top private clubs in America.
5.  Service:  Nice people. Attentive and helpful without any negative attitude whatsoever. Very genuine.
6.  Overall vibe:  This is an important factor for me. For the public resorts Bandon and Pinehurst are pitch perfect. So is Dismal. On the other hand, the vibe at Sand Hills can come off a bit chilly and corporate by comparison, even though the course at SH is clearly superior.
7.  Wow factor:  oh yeah, it has it.

That's my quick analysis of a magical golf trip at Dismal River. Not to be missed.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:28:51 AM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill_McBride

« Reply #407 on: June 15, 2012, 08:44:32 PM »

Wow, that's a strong statement!

You've been, I'm sure, to Bandon, Pinehurst, Scotland, Ireland......

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #408 on: June 16, 2012, 07:53:10 AM »
Terry,
I am sorry to do this on the Dismal thread, but I have to raise an objection to your classification of Sand Hills as corporate and chilly. I have been to Sand Hills a few times, and one of the reasons that I feel it is so great, is the welcoming nature of everyone at the club. On a few occasions, the owner has had drinks with our group on the porch, and answered all sorts of inane questions about his club. Once when I was there, the entire crew came into the bar with the members to watch the Nebraska Football game. Last time I was there, Mullen had a highschool football game, and we were all invited to go down.  I guess what I am trying to say, is that I have always felt very welcomed and at home at Sand Hills. Everyone really treats you (and in turn are treated) like family. While, I understand that everyone has their own experiences, I find a characterization of chilly and corporate hard to imagine based on my experiences.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #409 on: June 16, 2012, 09:31:16 AM »
Keith,

You're right; I am surely guilty of overstatement in that regard. One club is looser than the other, but SH is also quite welcoming. Thanks for pointing that out.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #410 on: June 17, 2012, 10:08:11 AM »
Absolutely can't wait for the 5th Major.  Wish my back felt better.

Will never forget..."that's good Judge".  Great guy and even better fit.  Ever notice that places that "get it" have people who "get it".

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #411 on: June 17, 2012, 05:19:21 PM »
Hi - for those making their first trip, Mullen is about 3000' elevation.  Yes, you'll get more distance up there, especially if you're like me and used to playing at 500' elevation.

Eric Smith

Re: 2012 5th Major at Dismal River -- ONLINE PAIRINGS PARTY!!
« Reply #412 on: June 18, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
In keeping with traditional major championship protocol, a sixsome kicks things off at the 2012 5th Major:

MATCH #1 Friday 6/29 @ 8:01 AM
(OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP division)

Tony Weiler / Mac Plumart
Brian Sheehy / Will Spivey
John Lyon / Eric Smith

Sam Morrow

« Reply #413 on: June 18, 2012, 11:29:03 AM »
In keeping with traditional major championship protocol, a sixsome kicks things off at the 2012 5th Major:

MATCH #1 Friday 6/29 @ 8:01 AM
(OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP division)

Tony Weiler / Mac Plumart
Brian Sheehy / Will Spivey
John Lyon / Eric Smith

The opening circle jerk.

Eric Smith

« Reply #414 on: June 18, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »
**Intermission**

We've had a late addition to the group so it's back to headquarters for a reshuffle...

Back by 6/28.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #415 on: June 18, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »
I hate you.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #416 on: June 18, 2012, 09:18:23 PM »
I love you.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #417 on: June 18, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »
I love you.

You should hear what he said about you today...........

Cory Lewis

« Reply #418 on: June 19, 2012, 07:08:28 AM »
The opening circle jerk.
I hate you.
I love you.
Love, Hate and Circle Jerks. Not exactly the outing I was hoping for!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

JC Jones

« Reply #419 on: June 19, 2012, 07:48:55 AM »
The opening circle jerk.
I hate you.
I love you.
Love, Hate and Circle Jerks. Not exactly the outing I was hoping for!

That can't be true, you've attended several GCA.com functions.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #420 on: June 19, 2012, 07:55:22 AM »
That can't be true, you've attended several GCA.com functions.
True.  I've had love and hate in the same foursome at some notable GCA functions.  The third thing only happens when certain architects are the guest speaker!

Michael George

« Reply #421 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:05 AM »
I did not think I would need to lock the doors of my cabin when I am sleeping next week, but I am now reconsidering.  
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mark Smolens

« Reply #422 on: June 19, 2012, 11:18:09 AM »
I did not think I would need to lock the doors of my cabin when I am sleeping next week, but I am now reconsidering.  

And I'm definitely thinking of bringing my gun!

Cory Lewis

« Reply #423 on: June 19, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
Wouldn't do any good, CJ has the keys.  He's already promised crickets in our room
You should get a holster and bring it with you on the golf course.  "Is this 20 footer good?"  Yes, yes it is. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #424 on: June 19, 2012, 06:49:37 PM »
Wouldn't do any good, CJ has the keys.  He's already promised crickets in our room
You should get a holster and bring it with you on the golf course.  "Is this 20 footer good?"  Yes, yes it is. 

I'm from Texas, I can bring guns.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back