News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: 2012 5th Major at Dismal River - NEED YOUR HANDICAPS!
« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
]
If I have to give an 18 handicapper 9 shots in a match we all know what's going to happen in that match.  I've never worked at a club that had a Member Guest with this format that didn't flight teams by handicap.

Cheaters will cheat on their handicap... that is another story. Higher-handicap players have a greater chance of shooting an exceptional round on occation because score variability rises with handicaps. That’s why mid- to highhandicappers often walk off with the title in a large-field net event. Low handicappers, however, have the consistency that gives them the edge in head-to-head play and multiple-round tournaments.

This is a matchplay event. If you can't beat an 18 handicapper in 4 out of 5 matches either you are not a scratch player or your opponent is not really an 18. I know more golfers with low "vanity" handicaps than golfers with padded handicaps. When these guys with vanity handicaps lose a match to a high handicapper they almost always feel cheated. If they could really play to their low handicap they would have no problem winning the majority of matches against higher handicappers. The odds of a high handicapper besting his course handicap by two shots or more for two matches in a row is over 17000 to 1.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2012, 10:17:18 PM »
Eric,
God bless you for even trying this.
It is not the Masters people! If everyone plays and Eric arbitrarily decides the winner based upon who pukes less than Patron, he should still get thank you cards!
Love te handicap chairman

Stephen Davis

« Reply #252 on: April 04, 2012, 01:00:35 AM »
Wow! This looks like an amazing time! I wish I had joined earlier and could participate in this event. Hopefully I can make the next one.

Tim Martin

« Reply #253 on: April 04, 2012, 08:36:20 AM »
Eric,
It is not the Masters people! If everyone plays and Eric arbitrarily decides the winner based upon who pukes less than Patron, he should still get thank you cards!

;D ;D ;D-Pure Gold!

Eric Smith

« Reply #254 on: April 04, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »
You beat me to it Tim. Keith may be a helluva lawyer, but his true talent lies in his wit.  Speaking of W(h)it, I spoke to Mike Whitaker on the phone this morning. Woke him up actually ;D. He sounded great and in typical Whit fashion started right in on the event and handicapping. A good sign.

Eric Smith

« Reply #255 on: April 04, 2012, 09:37:52 AM »

Tell me more about this Patron. Is it hooked up to the carts??

Patron is the nickname bestowed upon young JNC Lyon after his late night heroics at Ballyneal last July. He typically eschews the golf cart and was the only guy to walk the course at last year's tournament. With my trusted caddie A. Ray Gray, GCA on the bag this year I too plan to join the elite corp of puristas. I expect Mr. Christensen won't mind driving with the 5 gallon bucket of Buds riding shotgun!

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #256 on: April 04, 2012, 11:38:36 AM »

Keith,

My sentiments exactly. I'm excited to play the golf course, meet a bunch of GCA nuts and enjoy some great food and cold beer. A little bit of competition is nice, but secondary (I hope my partner feels the same way).

TK

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #257 on: April 04, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »
Brian,

Whoa partner! I'm certainly planning on walking...but carrying YOUR bag as well? The TEAM can't afford that! Certainly, the bird-dog and counsel-when-asked mode will be fully switched on for you Brian. We could share a caddie, if they have any. I be happy to support that, at least one round a day.

I will add that in multiple round scenarios, I may opt for the chariot. Advancing years and a suspect fitness level have conspired to render me vulnerable to potential for a prairie flogging by Melvyn the Magnificant due to abandoning golf in the bi-pedal fashion. Perish the thought...

Cheers, Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Matt Bosela

« Reply #258 on: April 04, 2012, 04:06:12 PM »

Keith,

My sentiments exactly. I'm excited to play the golf course, meet a bunch of GCA nuts and enjoy some great food and cold beer. A little bit of competition is nice, but secondary (I hope my partner feels the same way).

TK

Tyler,

No worries, your partner (me) feels exactly the same way you do!  My only expectation is to have a great time both on the course and off.  Our wonderful host should feel free to run the event the way he wants to - as long as he keeps his promise of filling me up with beers on the first night! ;)

Eric Smith

« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »

Tyler,

No worries, your partner (me) feels exactly the same way you do!  My only expectation is to have a great time both on the course and off.  Our wonderful host should feel free to run the event the way he wants to - as long as he keeps his promise of filling me up with beers on the first night! ;)

One (or both) of us is surely in for a letdown with this epic beer swilling night we've been chatting about for two years now! ;D Of course I am ever ready to make good on that promise my friend. See you soon!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #260 on: April 04, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
Eric,

Hey, those bathmats just disappeared...
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tony Weiler

« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2012, 10:07:09 AM »
I get Mac as a partner!!  How lucky am I.  Can't wait for July!  TW

Greg Krueger

« Reply #262 on: April 30, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »
Thought I would bump this as we are only 60 days away :)

Stephen Davis

« Reply #263 on: April 30, 2012, 05:19:59 PM »
I cannot wait! I am so grateful that space was available for me to join in on the great experience.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #264 on: April 30, 2012, 09:42:31 PM »
Eric I'm a 17. My pro, Cory Lewis, van verify.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #265 on: May 01, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »
Eric I'm a 17. My pro, Cory Lewis, van verify.
Yep, 17.  Put it down.  I'll sign for it.  If we end up in Eric's flight that might not hold up.  Less than two months away!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #266 on: May 01, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »
I'm currently a 13.8, but have been moving in the wrong direction so far this spring.  If things don't start improving, i'll probably be a 15-16 by 5th major time.   :-X

Michael George

« Reply #267 on: May 01, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »
Anybody planning on playing the Monday afterwards?

I am flying out of Denver on Tuesday and was looking for a game on Monday.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Eric Smith

« Reply #268 on: May 01, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »
I'm thrilled to death that all of you are making the trip out next month; going to be a great time.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:04:21 PM by Eric Smith »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #269 on: May 01, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:08:41 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Eric Smith

« Reply #270 on: May 01, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:04:02 PM by Eric Smith »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #271 on: May 01, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »

Michael,

I'm flying out Monday night and was thinking of playing at either Fossil Trace or Common Ground on that day.

My plan is to leave Dismal at about lunch time on Sunday, play a round at Wild Horse and then drive part of the way to Denver that night...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #272 on: May 01, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »

Michael,

I'm flying out Monday night and was thinking of playing at either Fossil Trace or Common Ground on that day.

My plan is to leave Dismal at about lunch time on Sunday, play a round at Wild Horse and then drive part of the way to Denver that night...

Fossil Trace is one of my favorite courses ever but the back track to the airport from Dismal is distasteful.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #273 on: May 01, 2012, 12:37:19 PM »

As John notes, Fossil Trace is on the wrong side of town. In addition to CommonGround, give a look at Murphy Creek, a great muni in Aurora located just south of the airport.  It hosted the 2008 Amateur Pub Links.

https://www.auroragov.org/ThingsToDo/Golf/GolfCourses/MurphyCreek/index.htm
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Kalen Braley

« Reply #274 on: May 01, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »
Already played Murphy Creek last time I was in town...which is a good course, but I would like to try something new.

My flight leaves late Monday, as in 9:00 PM late, so I got plenty of time to play Fossil or whatever course that day, maybe even squeeze in 36 at FT and CG.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back