News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: 2012 5th Major at Dismal River - NEED YOUR HANDICAPS!
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »
***EDIT: A reminder that deposits are now due. Easiest way to send your $100 is with PayPal to: deposits@5thmajor.com or you can mail me a check. We're at 67 players...

MATCH SCHEDULE:

FRIDAY, JUNE 29 12:00 Shotgun
1v2  3v4  5v6  7v8
1v3  2v4  5v7  6v8
1v4  2v3  5v8  6v7

SATURDAY, JUNE 30 9:00 Shotgun
1v5  2v6  3v7  4v8
1v6  2v5  3v8  4v7
1v7  2v8  3v6  4v5
Semifinal Match 1: MASTERS 1st v PGA 1st  Semifinal Match 2: US OPEN 1st v OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP 1st
Final Match: MASTERS/PGA v US OPEN/OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

In summary, the eventual winners and runners up will have played 45 holes on the final day of the tournament. A serious effort to have your names etched on the Nicklaus Trophy!

Registration List
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:08:32 PM by Eric Smith »

Michael George

« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2012, 05:22:44 PM »

Eric:

I would have gotten your deposits from the people in my flight before you posted them  ;)   

Honestly cannot wait.  Also love having the host in my flight - as hosts never win  ;D 

Great work.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Kalen Braley

« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »
Eric,

So every team will have a "team handicap" of which to play off of? 

Chris Shaida

« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2012, 06:35:44 PM »

Eric:

I would have gotten your deposits from the people in my flight before you posted them  ;)  

Honestly cannot wait.  Also love having the host in my flight - as hosts never win  ;D  

Great work.

Eric,

There are too many people named 'George' in our flight!

Chris

ps Dr Wellmon thought we should get a bye in the first round because...well...because he's a Doctor I guess?!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:38:54 AM by Chris Shaida »

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2012, 07:32:29 PM »

Eric:

I would have gotten your deposits from the people in my flight before you posted them  ;)   

Honestly cannot wait.  Also love having the host in my flight - as hosts never win  ;D 

Great work.

Eric,

Chris

ps Dr Wellman thought we should get a bye in the first round because...well...because he's a Doctor I guess?!

Not in Nebraska, I'm not..............I assumed our old buddy E would throw the "Thaw Out" PBR consumption champs a bone. But, no.
And Cory's a pro, so we got that going for us. He's ineligible to win.
I'm just waiting for match 5 Saturday morning. Death match. 1 vs 6.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2012, 08:01:35 PM »
Ineligible?  Your just mad you don't have the honor of losing to me during the tournament.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

JNC Lyon

« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2012, 08:32:21 PM »
Is Sheehy-Shreiner the most legendary pairing in the history of GCA?  I submit that it might be.  Brian, how do you feel about caddie golf?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Michael George

« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »

Eric:

Great work.

Eric,

Chris

ps Dr Wellman thought we should get a bye in the first round because...well...because he's a Doctor I guess?!

Not in Nebraska, I'm not..............I assumed our old buddy E would throw the "Thaw Out" PBR consumption champs a bone. But, no.
I'm just waiting for match 5 Saturday morning. Death match. 1 vs 6.

Looking at our flight.  The host can't win and a pro can't win.  So we are down to 6 groups.

I will buy enough drinks to win the "tough" matches. 

I am feeling pretty good ;D
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Eric Smith

« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2012, 09:10:10 PM »
Love it! Let the bitchfest begin! ;D

Kalen,

In my experience with these things, particularly when you have a higher percentage of mid to high cappers playing with and against a smaller percentage of scratch and single digit handicappers, the 75% rule works well. That is:

Calculate 75% of everybody's cap, round to nearest whole number.
e.g 4's are 3's, 10's are 8's, 15's are 11's, 18's are 14's, etc. Since all matches are 9 holes, then cut the adjusted handicaps in half.

3=2
4=2
5=3
6=3
Etc.

Now adjust so the low handicap in the match plays as scratch and everyone strokes off of him.
So in a match like this:

Player1 14 hcp x 75%= 11 / 2 = 6
Player2 15 hcp x 75%= 11 / 2 = 6

VS

Player3 7 hcp x 75% = 5 / 2 = 3
Player4 10 hcp x 75% = 8 / 2  = 4

So:
Player 3 will play as scratch
Player 4 gets 1 dot
Player 1 gets 3 dots
Player 2 gets 3 dots

Capiche?

Chris,

Cozy up to the Georges. They have (or will have) ALL the money!!

Doc Wellmon,

I missed out on playing with you and Schaida at Hilton Head. Not gonna let that happening again. What can I say, I like you guys.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2012, 09:20:22 PM »
Thank goodness I'm a 17!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2012, 11:31:45 PM »
Rob Miller,

You have my condolences.

Play it hole-by-hole
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Chris Shaida

« Reply #236 on: April 03, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »
Love it! Let the bitchfest begin! ;D

Chris,

Cozy up to the Georges. They have (or will have) ALL the money!!

Doc Wellmon,

I missed out on playing with you and Schaida at Hilton Head. Not gonna let that happening again. What can I say, I like you guys.

re the Georges -- well of course,that's exactly what I was worried about

re Doc W -- That's funny and I deserved it and I've already been (s)chided about it (quite appropriately and even gently all things considered) by my 'mon' all I can say in my defense was that Android auto-correct did it! (actually, try it yourself!)

Michael George

« Reply #237 on: April 03, 2012, 10:23:16 AM »

Eric - If anyone else wants to be "the house", please allow them to do so.  My brother and I are just happy to be included. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »

Eric - If anyone else wants to be "the house", please allow them to do so.  My brother and I are just happy to be included.  

Please, by all means...You were destined for the role! ;D

And CJ, don't think you can come on here and blurt out '17' in reference to your game. I'm going to keep my eye on you...

Chris S..like that eh? ;D

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #239 on: April 03, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »
Eric,

That 75% stuff for handicaps is bulls***.  The USGA says that fourball matches should be handicapped as follows:

Four-ball match play, where two golfers play their better ball against the better ball of two other players: the lowest-handicapped player at scratch. The other three get the full difference between their Course Handicaps and the lowest Course Handicap.

Nothing in there about cutting stokes by 25%. That was some invention by whining "scratch" golfers who are really 6 handicappers.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #240 on: April 03, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »
Filming June 29-July 1, 2012, "Hangover 3- Dismal River."
Dr Gray joins the cast and caddies for Doug, Stu, Alan, & Phil as they play in the 5th Major Pro Am. (Cory's now eligible).
John Daly brings one too many "ex," and trouble ensues. Featuring cameos by Ran Morrissett, Natalie Gulbis (just because), the Speaker of the House, Melvyn (who forgets his sunscreen and has to take a cart) and the engraver who does the Claret Jug (nice of E to fly him in). Unfortunately he misspells Chris Shaida on the Nicklaus Trophy.

To say I am looking foward to the 5th Major is a gross understatement. Let's just go ahead and register for 2013 also.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #241 on: April 03, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »
Eric,

Sounds good...I can appreciate the sophisticated math.

But Michael's solution does sound easier!!!  ;)

P.S.  Very much looking forward to this as well.  I'm a 14 at the moment, but hoping I can get plenty of bad rounds in to get that sucker up to 17 or 18 by the 5th Major!!   ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #242 on: April 03, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »
Mike,

Check's in the mail...you are now my official Tournament Advisor. As my official Tournament Advisor, your suggestion that we go with the USGA format is duly noted. I hereby declare the USGA format the Official Format of the 2012 5th Major. Besides, who am I to argue (12.1 index)!! ;D

Doc,

You're killing me!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #243 on: April 03, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »
Handicapping The Unhandicapped

Second Best Score System

The USGA has developed a simple estimator of a player's ability called "Second Best Score System" or "Second Best Handicap" for short. Second Best Handicap is not a substitute for the USGA Handicap System, but it can produce acceptable results and is a reasonable system for handicapping the otherwise "unhandicapped."

To create a player's Second Best Handicap, the tournament committee simply asks each unhandicapped player to submit his three best scores made on a regulation course (with par of 68 or more) in the last 12 months. Combine these scores with any previous scores that the player has made in your tournament in the past two years.

The player's Second Best Handicap is the second best score he or she has given you minus 70 for men or 73 for women.

For example, if a male player submits scores of 92, 96 and 98 and he had scored 90 in your tournament last, his Second Best Handicap would be 92 (second best score) minus 70 (for men).
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Cory Lewis

« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »
Nothing in there about cutting stokes by 25%. That was some invention by whining "scratch" golfers who are really 6 handicappers.
As one of those whining scratch golfers(hopefully I don't play like a 6) I would have to say that if we are going to do the USGA recommended method then we should consider flighting teams by handicap to give us low handicappers some sort of realistic shot.  If I have to give an 18 handicapper 9 shots in a match we all know what's going to happen in that match.  I've never worked at a club that had a Member Guest with this format that didn't flight teams by handicap.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Richard Choi

« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »
I would second Cory. Less strokes are exchanged before the match, the smoother the match will be when it is all said and done.

Eric Smith

« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2012, 01:31:45 PM »
I can buy that argument. Honestly this thing has gotten so big the idea to flight it had never crossed my mind. I do see both sides to this however. One year down on Hilton Head we had 14 teams and the winners just ran away with it because the scratch player shot 66 69 and his partner filled in the blanks with par net birdies at opportune times. My high handicap friends felt robbed.

If everyone will send their handicaps, let's go with early June revisions, then we can look at the very least putting the lowest team handicaps in the same division.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:03:59 PM by Eric Smith »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2012, 01:41:56 PM »
I thought the whole point of "handicapping" was to put players on equal terms.

As a a 14 handicapper, I've been playing a 4 who has been destroying me lately, despite me getting a stroke on the 14 hardest holes, (4 hardest for him.) If we're keeping score from when we first started playing each other about a year ago, he usually gets the better of me at a 2-1 ratio.  

I think the real problem is that low cappers never like to lose...not even one time, especially to "hacks"!!   ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:49:35 PM by Kalen Braley »

Michael George

« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2012, 02:23:11 PM »

Eric: 

For the record, Teams George won't care any way you do it.  We are very grateful for the invitation.  I have managed large group outings before and realize that they can be really difficult.  You are never going to please everyone.  As this is your event - you should do whatever you want with it.   

Also - I have full faith that no matter how many strokes I have to give to you, I can offset that advantage by buying you an equal amount of alcohol. ;D

Thanks!

Eric Smith

« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »
Mike,

I assure you we will remain in the same beer drinking division. And, I appreciate your spirit(s)!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back