News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Re: Why is Pasatiempo a successful semi-private?
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2011, 07:30:22 PM »
David,

Sankaty Head has a long trdition of giving back to the game; their Summer Caddy Camp is legendary in New England. It may very well be an economic necessity to allow outside play during that season, just to justify keeping the course open for the few members who live year round.

And it's only $100/round. Hope to play it next month when we're on the island.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Anthony Butler

Re: Why is Pasatiempo a successful semi-private?
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 12:47:28 PM »
The English model is terrific.   The greatest old courses open to visitors at certain times.   No marshals bullying you to play faster, just a terrific day (thinking of Walton Heath a couple of weeks ago).

Bill,

We've discussed that here many times. Why can't for instance, the Valley Club, let people play after noon time for $150? That cost would keep play in check and those who really want to experience great architecture get their chance. I don't think it's because they want to exclude people; although I may be wrong. I think David Tepper has hit the nail on the head here: It's the way that Pasatiempo is chartered that allows it to happen. If Valley Club opened the gates in the afternoon, ala Walton Heath, they would derive to much income from outside sources and would loose their tax status. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Valley Club would need a buy cash register before they could take anyone's money... I had to write a personal check to the lady in the Proshop just to purchase two hats on my last visit. Somehow I think they like it that way...

arb:
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back