News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Quaker Ridge GC
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing Quaker Ridge GC in Scarsdale, N.Y. yesterday and quite honestly I was blown away. It was the sixth or seventh time I had played the course but the first time in about four years. The club hired Gil Hanse to do a long range plan which included among other things substantial tree removal (and I understand more to come) and some bunker work that included putting back some bunkers where Tillinghast had originally had them but had been taken out over the years and taking out some that RTJ, Sr. had put in years ago. I thought the course was difficult but extremely playable. Overall I thought it was spectacular.

I went to the Golf Digest website to see where it stood among the Top 100 and it didn't make the cut!  Hard to believe.

I would like to hear from anyone who has played there lately as to their take on the course.

-John

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Quaker Ridge GC
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:44:54 PM »
See my previous thread from 2 years ago. It started out about the golf course at QR but devolved into an attribution scenario:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41940.0.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:05:17 AM »
John

Has Gil finished his work there ?

John Blain

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 07:20:28 AM »
Hi Kevin-

My understanding is that most of the "heavy lifting" has been done. I know he is coming back in a couple of weeks to advise on some more tree removal but I believe all of the bunker work is complete. The club is also putting in a short game area that I assume he has designed for them. That's all I know.....

-John

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 07:40:34 AM »
JP, Could you detail how Gil might've fixed the bunkering on the 15th? (The par 5 in case I have the number wrong)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 10:22:01 AM »
JP, Could you detail how Gil might've fixed the bunkering on the 15th? (The par 5 in case I have the number wrong)

twas  a misty day..

197 played, only 3 to go!!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
John, I played there recently and loved it. The routing is fantastic and Hanse's work is excellent. I understand they may submit the course as a restoration which will mean all old scores are out and they would need 45 panelists to visit. It should be doable and deserving of top 100 no doubt.
Mr Hurricane

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 01:08:22 PM »
Not that rankings are a true measure of greatness but it is a bit disconcerting that Quaker is not considered one of the top 50 tracks in the US. It makes my top twenty five. Not a bad hole on the property and it oozes strategic placement . Thinking man's track.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

David Harshbarger

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 02:41:37 PM »
Per the Golf Magazine ratings Quaker Ridge is currently 70 in the world. 
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
Adam

I played Quaker a month ago and though I never saw what was there before I can tell what is there now is really nice.

Here are few pictures of #15.

Tee shot from the very back tees.  Very very long carry to cut off the left bunkers.

Second shot to layup before the cross bunkers

80 yards before the green

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 07:54:52 PM »
i played Quaker a few years ago and loved it. The team was at work while I was there and i liked the changes we saw and the manner they were fitting into the existing course.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 09:44:36 PM »
The hole you are all referring to is the par-5 #14, not #15, which has also been changed/semi-restored by Gil. Aside from the bunker/tree/green expansions and fairway work (some changes in lines/edges and expansions), 4 greens were rebuilt: The practice green, #1 , #7, and #17 and there will be 5 more to be cored out and rebuilt, but that has just been added recently. It is also my understanding that Quaker was removed from the Golf Digest list in order to gain a fresh outlook from raters.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 02:50:53 AM »
Hello All,

Long time no talk...

These superb discussions are really not for wet blanketing, especially in regards to a classic, well-enjoyed course like Quaker ridge, but I have never been an enthusiast in my 8-10 playings and dozen Caddie gigs there.  I have derived satisfaction from playing the course for decent scores and fair outcomes in matches, yet there is something not quite on par with the greatest of courses I have played in relation to the reverence many hold for the course.

Like Fenway (the next most highly regarded Westchester Co. AW design after WFE&W and Quaker) the holes I love at Quaker, I think are spectacular and unique...#s3 4,8,9,11,14 and the restored 17th hold different varieties of all the great architectural traits we discuss...bold incorporation of natural contour, camouflage, heroic demands, notes of quirk and interesting beautiful thought-provoking putting greens.  and i'm not limiting one or more of those elements to just the holes I love...holes I do not love have a hint of these features too...it's best put this way in bulleted form:

1. I don't know if you call it a layout or routing issue, but the idea that you start with a three shot hole and do not encounter another until the 14th, in concert with the fact that are back-to-back one shot holes on #9 and #10 (a quirk that would normally add to my esteem of such a course) leaves vast stretches of two shot holes that can get monotonous.

2. #s 6,7,8- coming as they do after #2,3,4 - are a most unpleasant and unwelcome reappearance of demands already made...OB/Lost Ball/Trouble Hard Right...Trees or Broken Ground Left...signature deep bunkered greens, wavy green pitched back at you.  You will note that even in this critique of repeated demands, I'm citing holes (3,4,8) that I genuinely enjoy...in a vacuum. But my zest for what they offer is dampened by the fact that the same ol' punishment is doled out and I have to repeat straight hitting, as on the lousy holes of this stretch.
3. Of those, what I consider, the "lousy" holes (2, 6, 7) of these "monotonous stretches" 6 and 7 are, after what you experienced on 2,3 and 4 (I'll get to #5 in a minute) simply the most torturous iterations of the dog-leg right that the course has to offer. #6 is often called a signature hole there...but where in God's name do you miss...left in the grassy brooklands?up on the slope of the right in the midst of mature trees and sparse rooted ground, near the OB fence?  No, you must hit straight...and long to boot if you want a friendly iron and not be shut down by the right trees.  #7...should just be blown up, you don't know where you're going, which tree to aim at and how far it is or when precisely a tee shot hugging the line is safe or in trouble.  Due to drainage, the ground is constantly splashy and damp in the "A" and "B+" drive zone which makes the next uphill iron (you just played one on six) an anxious exercise.  Another wavy green pitched back at you...and this green site surrounded as it is by the adjoining neighborhood feels choked and wedged-in - both holes seem to owe too much of their design to the property line.

4. In between these two shot stretches is the one shot water hole 5th. Another straight hitting exercise, don't miss right, left, short or long.  OK, i'm not saying the green is a postage stamp (though a tiered terror again, back to front) and that such an aerial demand can't be part of the fun...it;s just that you are so desirous of "something else" besides "straight or double" that even this one shot hole (which thankfully breaks up 6 consecutive two-shotters) doesn't get you hungry to play, just anxious that either your gauntlet is no where near passed and/or here comes another double.  and as downhill-over-the-water holes go...the 13th at Century, the 17th at Sunningdale (NY), the 10th at Sleepy Hollow are all superior models of the prototype.  It's pleasant to look at and has a peaceful, stoic ambiance but it's only so-so on a front nine that has always demanded straight hitting or sixes.  why must the green be bunkered, how about a massive, huge, multi-hummocked, bunkerless green that's easy to hit but cunning as to score...why couldn't that be the variation in demand at this point in between the two shotters.

5. I enjoy the stretch of the round from 8 - 15 the best (12 being a short of bowling alley drag, though i enjoy the approach shots there). 
   #8 has the visual interest and quirk of the central mound and the sweep of the green plaza,
   #9 is almost the perfect front-ender...that sliver of green in sands nearby the quaint Tudor clubhouse,
   #10 offers the surprise of a second one-shotter and the green appears as a target oasis in the meadow (here a longer, straight shot is demanded but it is balanced by the availability to create threes by controlling your miss for that day's pin)
  #11 offers both an aesthetic and strategic look unlike anything else at Quaker. A reasonably distanced hole with an approach guarded by diagonal water carry that hectors less from the straighter A tee line but more from the safer B line to the right.  The green's orientation to play also plays a just and proportionate role to these strategies. 
   As I said 12 is a bit of an uphill drag, but I like the greensite quite a bit. 
   I'm not as effusive about #13 as others are, but I appreciate the  hole plenty; it;s fun to play and its usually at this point in the round, that I've forgotten about the monotony of the 2-7 stretch and really feel like i'm making shots and playing to sides and controlling positions on the green and all that true "play" stuff. 
   I'm imagining and trying to execute the idea with my wits and self-knowledge...the dominant context that surrounds me on 2-7 is the prison of what will happen if  I do miss.  There is no strategy to execute besides hit it on the fairway, hit it on the green...hope you don't three putt...I don't have to imagine what will happen if I miss; i know - and itsa large number, perhaps joined by other large numbers if I have more than one miss that day or come out the gate cold as ice with the "rights."  I'm not a card and pencil guy - I like matches and wagering much, much better where i don't care if i make eleventy-two if my oppnenet made eleventy-three - but no one likes being +7 thru 5 and it can happen in an instant at Quaker...a par, a bog', three doubles, - one ball lost, one ball OB, one ball in the water...and you haven't played 6 and 7 yet...it'snot like your making up ground on those holes.  They certainly deflate what medal sensibility one might have.

Not so with this stretch of 8-15 and if you realize it on #13, you fully embrace it on 14 (which vies with #9 a smy fave) - What a magnificent hole and such a unique iteration of the "'Long' with 'Hell' bunker complex to blind green" that has been deeded from the Old Course throughout the years. 

After Bethpage #4, it's my favorite three shot hole in the Tillinghast canon of which I have any experience.  It is an "elegant" version of that style of which Tillie's closers at Baltusrol Lower could be said  to be "brawny."

I last played Quaker 26 months ago, so I don't know if I'm experiencing the Hanse changes reported on 15.  Hanse is one of my favorites of the current designers.  I like the hole i played; it had a plain and straight forward beauty to it...down and up in a broad dale to a quiet simple green site. 

Yet just as you think, with the experience of 8-15 tallied and the eradication of 2-7 complete, that you have somehow wired into the charms and quality of Quaker...the routing takes you back into "formula land" with another set of upand back two-shotters - that taken alone, in a vacuum, are not such bad holes, but suffer from ending on the same note what I think is the worst stretch of the course, for the above listed reasons. 

There doesn't seem to be any "mystery" or "concluding drama" to the last four holes beyond that which your match may generate.  Like I believe the outer loop, "right bad" stretch of 2-7 is an unimaginative routing dictated more by property lines that innovative vision, so too does this last stretch of 16 -18 "feel" like merely a means to get you back and forth to the end...very much like "well, there's three holes left so we'll go out and back and out to the home green. 

It doesn't "feel" like Tillinghast was  just licking his chops on those holes, going "oh boy" wait'll they experience these last three!" The feel pedestrian. 17, alone, however, is a superb hole - love playing it, wish i had just played a  three shot or one shot hole before it - that might improve 18's standing with me as well. As is, it's a decent hole, but not a unique one,I believe I've played a similar hole 50 times.

It's not exactly a nutshell, but there it is anyway...Quaker is for me, a course that will have individual interest and two or three outstanding holes, but a surfeit of similar strategic presentations that limit options and creative tee to green play and appear in long multi holes stretches at the beginning and end of the round.  There's  too many deficiencies of this nature to put it in the class of the very best...

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back