News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Eder

The Golf Courses of Old Tom Morris by Robert Kroeger
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:10:04 PM »
Thank you to Melvyn for turning me on to this book. I thought it was excellent.  I really liked that the writer tried to highlight the holes that are original.  I couldn't put it down and found many courses that I really want to play. Bridge of Allan among many others. There were nice diagrams and descriptions that very helpful to my education.  I'll be looking for the holes and the features on my next trip to Scotland and will be more prepared this time with the knowledge I learned from this book. I really enjoyed it and wanted to mention it because if Melvyn had not mentioned it to me I would have never known it was out there. Thanks Melvyn!!

Bill_McBride

Re: The Golf Courses of Old Tom Morris by Robert Kroeger
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:15:18 PM »
Sounds interesting, where can it be purchased?

David Kelly

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:52:48 AM »
Sounds interesting, where can it be purchased?

Bill,

The book is currently on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golf-Courses-Old-Tom-Morris-Kroeger-SIGNED-Ltd-edition-/300651906957?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item460040078d

Don't be suckered into paying too much, as all 1975 copies are signed.

I am a bit disappointed with the book. The chapter on Rosapenna, to my knowledge, contained a number of assumptions which just don't match up with the material I've found. Much of the speculation concerns the alterations (by Vardon and Braid) made to the original course. He attributes the location of the old 1st green and the old par three 9th to OTM; but these didn't exist in the 1906 layout, and OTM died in 1908. There is no mention of Colt at all.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:58:55 AM by Donal OCeallaigh »

Jim Eder

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
Donal,

Thanks for the information on Rosapenna. Very helpful.  The book is part of a mosaic for me that is thankfully filled out with additions like yours.  Thank you.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »
Melvyn
What holes have you found in the book ?

I was surprised that Huntly GC was not included.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back