News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill McKinley

Golf In Philly
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:15:06 AM »
OK so I have a nice little trip coming together in a couple weeks.  We're stopping off at Oakmont and then going over to play Merion.  We have a day in between the two so we were thinking what would be the best place to try to play on that day.  I'm thinking that Aronomink and Philly Cricket are the two main contenders but I'm looking for some insight.  Anyone have any other ideas that we should consider?  Thanks in adavnce for the help!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

mark chalfant

Re: Golf In Philly
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:38:56 AM »
Bill,

Welcome to GCatlas.  Glen Mills and Paxon Hollow are both sporty/ good public options with well designed architecture. Gulph Mills (mostly Ross)  , Philadelphia CC (Flynn/Maxwell) in Gladwyne, and Whitemanor (Bobby Weed, a Dye disciple) are excellent private courses. Gulph Mills and Philadelphia may be a bit easier than Aronimink, but they are extremely fun Golden Age gems and interesting to play

Lulu, Mannies and Rolling Green are also worth seeking out

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »
Bill, the area is very rich.  Those you mentioned and replies you've already received are all very fine.

Let me further support Mark's mention of White Manor:  I think it is just fabulous.

You can view photo albums of many Philly courses as part of the Bausch Collection here:

http://myphillygolf.com/gallery.asp
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »
Lancaster CC is really good as well.

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:11:36 PM »
I personally would like to learn more about Huntingdon Valley, so please play and report back! :)

They oughta change the moniker from "The City of Brotherly Love" to "The City with an Embarrassment of Golf Riches...and Cheesesteaks".
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeffrey Conners

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:22:56 PM »
Pine Valley?

Bill McKinley

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 12:52:51 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far guys!

--Joe, Great pics of all those courses!!  Tremendous work there!

--Jeff,  Obviously we would have done PV if it could have worked.  I have some good connections there, but not good enough apparnetly!

Thanks again,
Bill
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 02:40:29 PM »
Andy

Lancaster is closed at the moment. The club is involved in a gas/re-seed project for the greens.

Michael George

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 03:29:59 PM »

If you want to stay in the Pittsburgh area, you can look at Laurel Valley.  Fox Chapel is very close to Oakmont and could be a choice also.

I will defer to the others on Phily as it sounds like you have received some great advice there.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Bill McKinley

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
Thanks for the info on Lancaster.

Michael,

I played Fox Chapel earlier this summer.  Awesome! Very Raynorific!

Either way this should be a fun filled week!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 10:17:01 PM »
I'll add Bedford Springs to the mix. It's just off the turnpike about 2 hours from PGH and 3 hours from PHL. It's the #1 public access course in PA and an excellent study- Oldham, Tillinghast & Ross,recently restored by Ron Forse.

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BedfordSprings/Golf.aspx
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Travis Dewire

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 01:43:23 AM »
Aronimik is insanse. I have a friend who has been caddying there this fall. He says the course is awesome. Quite long, 6600 from the member tees, quite demanding holes . Tiger's At&t was/is played there. Philly Cricket is also out of this world. I know there are two courses, not sure the exact details but i believe one to be better than the other, and an AWT, however the other course is also very very good. Not many ever get to play at Aronimik or phil cricket, so if you have the chance at either, take it. IMHO

travis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back