News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Doerr

Re: Seattle or Portland?
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 08:22:24 PM »
I'd say where is the office and does he have to be in the office quite a bit. Consider that commute as a big factor. Time is worth a lot. Seattle is tough on traffic, parts of Portland can be. I would not want to live in Vancouver and cross the river every day for an 8 to 5 in downtown Portland.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Mark Johnson

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
A few things about my friend...

- Golf will not be the only thing driving his decision;  however, he didnt want to move to a place where the golf options are horrible

- He will work from a home office and travel across the west coast;  for him, proximity to the airport and quality of school districts will be key

- He was already leaning to portland due to lower real estate prices and less congestion

- He is mid 30s, a 2 or 3 handicap;  Long off the tee and an incredible wedge player;  if he could putt, he would easily be scratch or better;  hits some wild shots, but those misses are no worse than anyone else but seem bigger because of his length

- In terms of a course, he would definitely want a challenging course that is walkable; ideally with lots of members who walk

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:20:28 PM by Mark Johnson »

Dale Jackson

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 10:19:06 PM »
Sounds like a perfect candidate for Columbia Edgewater to me, great walking course and a reputation as a player's course.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 11:20:46 PM »
Sounds like a perfect candidate for Columbia Edgewater to me, great walking course and a reputation as a player's course.

Columbia-Edgewater has long had the reputation of having the most single digit handicaps of any club in the Pacific NW if not the country.  And a wonderful short game practice area.  Most walk, the club provides free push carts, and pin sheets every day.   It truly is a player's club.

And for Mark's buddy, the course is about a mile from the west end of the runways at PDX.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:13:35 AM by Bill_McBride »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 12:31:34 AM »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 09:56:44 AM »
I lived in Beaverton from 85-93.  I strongly prefer Portland to Seattle.  It's smaller, traffic is better, people are friendlier.  Plenty of golf too...  I'd suggest Beaverton/Hillsboro area.  You can get to the coast easily and downtown is an easy trip.

Oh yeah - you can get to Bend easily too.  Bend has great skiing and is high desert, so it's usually dry.

Check out Yamhill County, OR too.  It was good enough for Phil Knight to live in.

John Handley

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »
Personally I like Portland much more than Seattle.  The cost of living is better and there is Pumpkin Ridge.  As a former member, I can attest that your friend would absolutely love PRGC.  Right now he could get one hell of a deal to join too.  PM me if you need more info.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

Jud_T

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
Forget golf, Portland is a vastly superior city...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sean Leary

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2011, 02:24:01 PM »
Jud,

Vastly superior? Cmon. In what ways?

I have no problem with people liking one over the other, but outside of this forum, I think Seattle would get more love than its getting here.

Patrick Schultheis

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
I live in Kirkland, Washington but travel to Portland frequently.  Seattle is a bigger city, with more theaters and similar cultural things.  The weather is essentially the same. No state income tax is a huge factor for me.  Traffic in both is highly dependent on where exactly one lives. I commute to downtown Seattle very easily, rarely more than 20 mins to go 11 miles in peak rush hour.

Most private clubs in the Seattle area are actively recruiting members and good deals ($10k or less initiation fees) can be had, particularly for younger golfers.

I'd stack up Aldarra's low handicappers (including Mr Leary, not including me) against CECC's any day...

Jud_T

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 05:44:49 PM »
Sean,

I'm certainly no expert as I've only visited each once.  And this is no disrespect for Seattle, but I fell in love with Portland and would happily move there tomorrow.  Just the architectural layout of the city, great food, local beers, the wine country, the mountains etc. etc.  I'm sure Seattle has much of the same as well as better seafood and music scene, but just the unique ambiance of Portland is something really special IMO...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 06:23:05 PM »
Nobody goes to Starbucks in Portland. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 08:58:38 PM »
If your friends are coming from MN, Portland also has a really fun WHL team, the Winterhawks.  It's high-level junior hockey, and it's a cheap fun night out.  (http://www.winterhawks.com/)

John Kirk

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »
I'm a longtime member at Pumpkin Ridge, and live on the west side of Portland.

1.  It's a lot less crowded than Seattle.  Seattle is geographically constrained, but by some wonderful features.  The Puget Sound is the calmest body of water I've ever seen, glassy smooth at times.  Mt. Rainier is big, but not as pretty as Mt. Hood, and especially Mt. Shasta.

2.  In Portland, there are some congested highway corridors; especially the two arteries (I-5 and I-205) between Portland and Washington state.   In general, especially given our low maximum speed limits, traffic is exceptionally polite and well behaved.  A very mellow place to get from point A to B.

3.  Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens are visible on most clear days from some parts of the city.

4.  Pumpkin Ridge has the most pristine and beautiful location.  The western half of the Tualatin Valley is colorful, agricultural land that Washington County designates as untouchable.  The golf courses have a straightforward, championship style design, and both courses are still in most publication's top 250 in the country.  What is underreported is the great "maintenance meld".  Once it dried out, it played fast and firm and perfect this year.  In late June, I hit a 3-wood on flat ground with a 5 mph downbreeze that bounded the last 60-70 yards onto the green.  The ball bounces around here, and there are shotmaking opportunities.

5.  The downside to living on the west side is airport proximity.  30-40 miles, 35-45 minute drive during offhours, perhaps 50-80 minutes in traffic.  But if he can arrange his schedule, the highways are open most of the time.

6.  If I were shopping for a golf club membership other than Pumpkin Ridge, and planning on settling down for years, I might head to Waverly Country Club and inquire.  It's on the east side, right on the Willamette.  It's only about 6600 yards, with some enormous specimen trees.  A few of the greens are too sloped.  All it needs is a little fixing up, and it will be the best one.  Good land, great location and a good routing.

7.  Of course, if it's that fancy, shmancy metropolitan glitter you're after...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:03:56 PM by John Kirk »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 09:36:49 PM »
Portland..better food...better neighborhoods....better vibe.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Will MacEwen

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 11:37:19 PM »
Jud,

Vastly superior? Cmon. In what ways?

I have no problem with people liking one over the other, but outside of this forum, I think Seattle would get more love than its getting here.

CoughcoughLearycoughcoughChoicough yes very strange

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »
Seattle has a different type of vibe.  If you like a downtown where people are all trained to only cross with the light, you'll love it :)

Honestly, I was there in 2009, and treated downtown Seattle like NY.  Big mistake.  I'd cross a street against the light when there were NO cars to be seen and the good citizens looked at me like I was an idiot.

The Mariners have a great ballpark, but it's also a little strange.  They don't show instant replays and the people never boo.  Philly it's not :)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2011, 11:37:58 AM »
Portland is known as a foodie's city. It has Cordon Bleu's Oregon Culinary Institute.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2011, 11:44:45 AM »

Portland has its own show..... http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/

William_G

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »
Portland is better for golf as Bandon is closer. (and Eugene is even better in that regard, you just need to find a job)

Don't know if I would wnat to listen to planes landing and taking off at CECC... Pumpkin Ridge has a great invitational and 2 courses.... Portland Golf Club is very convenient with lots of history....Waverly has a great riverside location, history, and beautiful clubhouse and they undergoing a major course restoration..Oregon Golf Club is a beautiful place, great locker room and clubhouse but not a walker's gig

Personally, I like to to visit Seattle and all around it more than I like to visit Portland whether with family or for business. Love downtown Seattle with a monorail to the space needle, hop on ferry to any # of islands and Canada, coffee on every corner, walk to everything.....
It's all about the golf!

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2011, 12:54:16 PM »

Living in the Vancouver B.C. area all of my life, I have had a considerable amount of exposure to both cities, but very little golf in Portland, so in that respect, I will shut up.

Let's face it, we are lucky in this area because Portland and Seattle are both great cities, and very liveable. Both have some unique neighbourhoods, lots of great restaurants and places to chill out. Golf is available most months of the year albeit on mushy fields at times during the winter.

Throw in Vancouver and it is a great 1-2-3 punch in this part of the world, with Victoria nearby to boot!

Joe Stansell

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »

Let's face it, we are lucky in this area because Portland and Seattle are both great cities, and very liveable. ...

Throw in Vancouver and it is a great 1-2-3 punch in this part of the world, with Victoria nearby to boot!

+1

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »
Portland has more good and affordable private clubs than Seattle

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2011, 04:44:16 PM »
Plus, you can shop sales tax-free in Washington if you show your Oregon license.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2011, 08:01:26 PM »
Plus, you can shop sales tax-free in Washington if you show your Oregon license.

But don't forget, if you to choose to live in Washington and shop in Oregon, you still owe Washington state use tax on all of those purchases. The likelihood of getting busted is pretty small, but you're cheating nonetheless. Trust me.  This is what I do for a living.  So be careful if you choose the Vancouver route.  Personally, I would love to move to Portland, but there isn't much need for a sales/use tax expert in Oregon. 

Also, Portland has a far superior indie rock scene. Seattle's days are done.  It's home to The Shins, the Dandy Warhols, Wild Flag (and formerly Sleater-Kinney), Blitzen Trapper, the Thermals, Viva Voce, the Decembrists, etc.  Even Britt Daniel (Spoon), Stephen Malkmus (Pavement), and Johhny Marr (the Smiths, Electronic, etc.) have moved there. It's probably got the best local music scene outside of the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back