News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Crowley

Re: Getting Trolleys/Push carts approved at a private US club
« Reply #475 on: October 31, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »
Nineteen pages on trolleys?  Really?  Not that I read them, of course, but this has to be reflective that we will bullshit about anything.

+1

Bernie Bell

« Reply #476 on: October 31, 2019, 11:00:51 AM »
Love this thread.  Trolleys were one of the things that most impressed me "the first time I knew a place was different," in words of a recent thread.  As a Yank on first links trip in 2013, observing the members' trolleys on some of the consensus greatest courses in the world revealed to me what a crock of s&^t many US golf conventions are.  That trip caused my first visits to this site, and to this thread, and I was grateful to learn I wasn't the only one to prefer US clubs with scores of ClicGears hanging in the bag room to clubs with caddie shacks and bag drop crews.  "A course where you can carry your bag at any time beats one where you cannot. . . . . A club that emphasizes the simple game of golf beats one which pursues the trappings of status."

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #477 on: September 22, 2020, 07:57:21 PM »
Well just got an e-mail about a trolley program at my club that didn't previously allow personal trolleys (it was recent that the club purchased trolleys that could be rented).

"This past spring we all fell on some unprecedented times due to Covid-19...to help with the electric golf cart demand we waived any trolley fees and even allowed the Members at the time to temporarily bring their own personal trolleys."

They've now created a program where you can pay an annual fee to use your own trolley on the courses.

Any guesses on the cost?

For reference the trail fee to use personal carts is $2000ish for single and $3000ish for husband/wife.

David Ober

« Reply #478 on: September 22, 2020, 08:51:09 PM »
Well just got an e-mail about a trolley program at my club that didn't previously allow personal trolleys (it was recent that the club purchased trolleys that could be rented).

"This past spring we all fell on some unprecedented times due to Covid-19...to help with the electric golf cart demand we waived any trolley fees and even allowed the Members at the time to temporarily bring their own personal trolleys."

They've now created a program where you can pay an annual fee to use your own trolley on the courses.

Any guesses on the cost?

God, I hope it's no more than like $400 a year or thereabouts...

For reference the trail fee to use personal carts is $2000ish for single and $3000ish for husband/wife.

Tim Martin

« Reply #479 on: September 23, 2020, 06:56:22 AM »

Any guesses on the cost?

God, I hope it's no more than like $400 a year or thereabouts...

Often clubs that have a push cart fleet offer a yearly rate for rental. Pre COVID-19 I can’t recall any club that had their own carts to rent that also allowed someone to bring their own. The exception might have been a personally owned motorized pushcart that was stored and maintained at the club(for a fee of course). That said if only the owner is handling and setting up the trolley then that has to go in the plus column as a safety precaution.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #480 on: September 23, 2020, 09:56:05 AM »

Any guesses on the cost?

Getting to walk is all about the money. Thanks for the post.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #481 on: September 23, 2020, 10:10:32 AM »
We have a deal going on that is about the money for 99% of the members. Mandatory forecaddies on the weekends. I was wondering how far can you push the envelope with a forecaddie and not come off as rude. I'll list some options we have discussed. The first being the most likely.

1. Play somewhere else on the weekends.
2. Pay the forecaddie and ask him to go home.
3. Give the forecaddie a rake and ask him to go ahead of us and assure that every bunker is prepared.
4. Ask the forecaddie to do his job as normal but to not look for any balls, give any advice or ever get in front of the group.

Any other suggestions?

Mark Mammel

« Reply #482 on: September 23, 2020, 10:56:02 AM »
Melvyn

My next project is to allow dogs on the course during play.  Same issues.  Common to see in the UK, hen's teeth here.  Of course, we have rattlers and bobcats that make things a bit more interesting.

Cheers
First, trollies. At White Bear Yacht Club we have a caddie program but also allow push carts. This took some time to get done as it's an old club. Caddies were previously required until 4pm (if available) when I joined. But today, for a variety of reasons, caddies are now required until 1pm- and of course we have had none this year. But because of demand and persistent discussion- and yes, it is useful to have the Golf Committee chair in favor!- we now allow push carts, electric or manual, and provide 15 for rental. Members may also use their own. The club doesn't store or charge member units, and they are not allowed if caddies are available (an electric cart may be taken instead of a caddie, but the point is to walk). We continue to work to allow electric trolley storage and charging (A number of us have suggested that the club obtain their own and rent as in the UK but so far no dice).
Dogs are another issue. Our club passed a rule banning dogs for no apparent reason. It didn't come from the Golf Committee, the Board just decided. Almost no one brought a dog, and I can't fighure out the reasoning. At Quail Lodge in Carmel Valley, where I play in the winter, dogs are welcome.
All the best
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Jim Sherma

« Reply #483 on: September 23, 2020, 01:55:03 PM »
We have a deal going on that is about the money for 99% of the members. Mandatory forecaddies on the weekends. I was wondering how far can you push the envelope with a forecaddie and not come off as rude. I'll list some options we have discussed. The first being the most likely.

3. Give the forecaddie a rake and ask him to go ahead of us and assure that every bunker is prepared.
4. Ask the forecaddie to do his job as normal but to not look for any balls, give any advice or ever get in front of the group.

Any other suggestions?

JK - The first option is the least confrontational one. I think it would be important that you politely make it known that you were doing this for the message to get through to the powers that be.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #484 on: September 23, 2020, 08:55:46 PM »
Any guesses on the cost?

$900 for an individual
$1700 for a family

Daryl David

« Reply #485 on: September 23, 2020, 09:39:57 PM »

Any other suggestions?

I’ll go with #2 since I have actually done it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back