News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Re: Way OT--Operation Burger Dog
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 03:25:21 PM »
Some men I know would have shed a wee tear reading that, but not me, oh no, not me, no sir, oh no.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

JLahrman

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 03:43:13 PM »
Nice story, and one of the rare times where the use of carts is celebrated on this site!

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »

Peter,

Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us. Jack sounds like a wonderful man and he is clearly in great and caring hands with your assistance. There are a heck of a lot of super people on this site!

Bob J

Doug Wright

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 07:06:33 PM »
Peter, A great story that captures the essence of this wonderful game. I hope Ran/Ben move this into the "In My Opinion" section for posterity.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
What a great story.  And beautifully writtten...

Steve Lang

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 09:16:50 PM »
 8)  Well, it made me shed a tear reading..

and remembering taking my 86 year old Dad out for his last course tour one spring day, all bundled up.. just being out on the course in a cart brought out his smile, a calmness, and some memories relayed when hearing the crack of some good hits, as he couldn't see ball flight very well..

i think many underestimate the impact of the game of golf on the human spirit and discount it.. too bad for them!

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »
Thank you for sharing that story with us.  It put a big smile on my face and reminded me of some of my own family members past and present.  Great to hear that the GCA community was able to make this day a special memory for all of you.

Dan

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 10:09:38 PM »
Peter,

What a heartfelt tale, and what a beautiful deed you did for Uncle Jack...kudos to you and all those that participated.

Thanks for letting us share in your special moment.

OT?  Hardly...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
So is the burger dog just ground beef shaped like a hot dog?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 10:12:58 PM »
The last time I played with my dad was the year before he died.  We played in a scramble at the old Newnan (GA) CC.  He was in poor health, hadn't played much lately, but rolled in 3 or 4 birdie putts.  He was tickled.  I lived in San Francisco at the time, so it was a special round for both of us.  

Brent Carlson

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 11:51:37 PM »
Peter,

Thank you for sharing this uplifting story with us.  You certainly have a way with words.  Best to you and your uncle Jack.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 02:02:14 PM »

Is the Mona Lisa just a painting of some chick?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hamblogger/detail?entry_id=73633
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »

Is the Mona Lisa just a painting of some chick?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hamblogger/detail?entry_id=73633

Hopefully, the USGA adds some local personality to the concessions at the US Open and serves burger dogs at Olympic next year.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »
Peter,

A wonderful, touching story. It's accounts like the one you shared that stay in the memory banks and sustain us during difficult times.

Thanks,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Peter_Herreid

Re: Way OT--Operation Burger Dog--Epilogue 11/13/11
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »
I waited until after the end of the 49er game to post...Just seemed right...

To bring folks up-to-date, Jack moved permanently down to Stuart, Florida on October 11, after his sister-in-law finished outfitting the house, which included re-creating the TV room from his apartment in the Marina in her home.  After a couple weeks of increased disorientation after the move, he perked up the last 10 days or so.  A bit of his old self came through, as he was able to play cards, enjoy some outings around town, etc.  We got a chance to shoot the breeze about the World Series, and we couldn't believe the irony that my Cardinals won the year after his Giants--who would have thunk it!

Last Wednesday, unfortunately, Jack came home from a short car ride and fell getting out.  After a thankfully brief hospitalization, he passed away quietly and without pain early this morning.  Appropriately perhaps, on Veterans Day weekend, as it turned out.  Army WW II veteran, golfer, friend, Jack was all of those things and much more.

"Goodnight, my friend, and sleep tight.  When you wake up, the sky will be bluer than you've ever known, the fairways will be wider, the drives will be longer and the putts will roll truer than ever.  The first tee is open, Mr. Nemes--play away, sir!

PThomas

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »
he's in a better place Peter...sorry for your loss
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2011, 08:43:21 PM »
Sorry for your family's loss.  From what you shared with us it sounds like a life well lived and you were fortunate to be a part of it.

Thoughts and prayers to all of you.

Dan

PCCraig

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear about Jack, Peter. I feared the worst when I saw this thread pop back up to the first page. Just makes your day with him out at Olympic that much more special.
H.P.S.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2011, 09:39:03 PM »
Godspeed.

Eric Smith

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2011, 10:24:10 PM »
Thank you for sharing Jack with us, Peter. I am certain that his story and your telling it will endure here on GCA for many years to come.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2011, 10:58:54 PM »
I somehow missed this thread back in September, as I always read something I see by Peter. 

I remember Peter's original thread to put the wheels in motion.  Thanks Peter for crafting this great story.  I think we ardent golfers have a real shared  sense of premonition about the subject of "last rounds" because golf plays such a big part of our enjoyment of life.  It is just that much better to consider this special bond between Jack and Peter built on respect and love that comes through so vividly.

Of course Peter, my condolences.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2011, 12:25:21 AM »
Peter, very sorry to you and your family for your loss.  RIP, Jack.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2011, 08:34:19 AM »
RIP Jack.

Thanks again Peter for sharing this intimate part of your life with us and allowing us to share in the wonderful parts of the story at the end of Jack's life.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2011, 09:16:09 AM »
Peter,

At least you have those fond memories of time spent together. As my 87 years young Dad has mentioned to me now and again,  when he and Mom return from attending yet another funeral for one of their dwindling gang, "The hardest thing about getting older and living long is losing the people you love."

How true Pop, how true. RIP JACK.

Warm regards,

Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Jud_T

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2011, 09:25:38 AM »
Peter,

Sad news.  This is why these special outings are so important for the younger generation as well as those in their autumn years.  Good on you.  I'm sure I'll always treasure my trip to Pebble with my dad just as I'm sure you'll never forget that final burger dog.  Best wishes.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back