News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter_Herreid

Way OT--Operation Burger Dog--Epilogue 11/13/11
« on: September 12, 2011, 02:45:57 AM »
Let me start off by thanking everyone for all the kind thoughts and well-wishes as “Operation Burger Dog” unfolded.  I really do believe that positive energy and effort can and does create more positive energy and this is yet another example…

I also believe that not everything happens randomly, and even in this comparatively small effort, there were elements that could just not be explained by anything other than fate or divine intervention of some sort.  Indeed maybe it was all of Jack’s running buddies from the Club, who have unfortunately long since passed on, that somehow guided the weekend from their vantage point, making sure that their buddy got taken care of on his last go-round out there…Maybe it was something or someone else, too.

By way of a not-brief bio, Jack was born in 1923, and moved to Oakland back in the early 50’s, where he met my future father-in-law and other eventual life-long friends at the University Club by Lake Merritt, a gathering place for post-war era men, trying to find their way in business in the Bay Area.  He and my father-in-law eventually bought a boat and had Slip #1 in the St. Francis Yacht Club by Crissy Field down in Marina for many years, and it was a hub of “extracurricular activity” for much of that time.  Rumor has it that, back in the old Rat Pack-like days of late 50’s/early 60’s San Francisco, many a party-goer would come from one side of the boat while the previous party-goer would leave by the other side of the boat, if you know what I mean…

Eventually, real life got in the way, and many of the running buddies found wives, careers, other hobbies and moved away from the City, but Jack stayed true to San Francisco all the way through.

While he had his chances to marry and start his own family, it never quite worked out that way, and he settled into his routine of Giants games, 49ers games and his work as an aluminum salesman for Kaiser, which he did until the late-1980s.  The entire state of California was his territory and he must have logged hundreds of thousands of miles in his big Chevys or Buicks (always American-made cars, and usually GM!) over the years.  He re-kindled his passion for golf, from his early days growing up in Rochester, NY and playing Oak Hill, CC of Rochester and the like, by joining the Olympic Club in the late 1950s.  He played to a 4 HCP until as late as his 60th birthday, and was still in the low double-digits into his early 70s.  He proudly displayed his hole-in-one plaque from #3 on the Lake, which was his favorite of his aces, because he could actually see it go in!  He hated the par 3s on the back because you could never see the greens.  He never went back to the Old Course because it was too brown, but loved going to the old-guard clubs of the Northeast, because “you could smell how good the turf was!”.  He knew the yardages to the center of the greens from every tree on the Lake, and almost every tree on the Ocean, at least until the multiple recent renovations there in the last two decades.

His home for much of his time at the Olympic Club was a broad stretch of turf below the massive parking lot, over much of what is now the end of the first fairway/green of the Ocean Course, I believe.  He would take his shag bag and his transistor radio down there and whack iron after iron, with that simple low draw, back and forth on that lawn, listening to Lon Simmons and then Hank Greenwald broadcast Giants games on KNBR.  His best friends at the Olympic Club always seemed to be working folks, the caddies, the guys in the bag room, the “broads” (term used affectionately) at the grills, and many of the younger pros—maybe he just always seemed a bit more comfortable with them because he grew up like so many of them.  Whatever the case may have been, Jack was a member at the Olympic Club up until two years ago, when the State of California finally realized what the rest of knew many years before, that Jack’s time behind the wheel had come to an end…Those last few years at the club I may have been one of the few people he allowed to play with him out there, or that he would take out onto the course, as I think it just bugged him that he couldn’t play like he used to…always proud of his game, to a fault, and he still is perhaps the last guy I’ve seen trying to play a 2-iron at age 80!

His prowess on the links opened up a lot of doors for him, but he was always proudest of getting to play in the Kaiser International Open several times in the late 60’s/early 70’s.  He has framed pictures of himself with Arnold Palmer, Billy Casper and others, and his proudest memento was a framed scorecard from a Kaiser Pro-Am, when he played with Arnie and Jack’s ball counted on more separate holes than his hero’s did.  Of course, back in those days, you were either an Palmer guy, or a Nicklaus guy, and Jack loved Arnie and did not care for that other Jack at all, no siree…

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:58:22 PM by Peter_Herreid »

Peter_Herreid

Re: Way OT--Operation Burger Dog
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 02:50:55 AM »
Then, there were always the Giants, always the Giants…They are his boyhood team, as Jack is originally from Jersey City, NJ and until recently could tell you all about the Polo Grounds, as if you were sitting there with him.  Serendipity, you bet—as the Giants followed Jack to the West Coast in 1957.  While perhaps it wasn’t to the level of the epic heartbreaks of the Cubs and Sox over the years, there was a rhythm to our conversations over the decades as to whether the Giants would ever get it done. John Montefusco, Bob Brenly, Atlee Hamaker and God knows how many other Giants over the years were subject to Jack’s scorn, but Jack was always faithful to the team.  Eventually, Candlestick got too scary and difficult for an older man to get to on the bus, but when PacBell Park opened in 2003, Jack swung into action. He had the bus schedules from the Marina memorized, he got to know all the other “senior citizens” in a few of the sections, and had a couple of his favorite ushers in his hip pocket.  He could always parlay a general admission ticket into gold, by the time the 6th-7th inning rolled around. 

Every year, we excitedly anticipated the start of Spring Training and Opening Day, and then rejoiced when the Dodgers or the Yankees would get eliminated any given year—it was like our own private national holiday.  But sadly the end of the season always seemed to be the same; first the Mariners, then the Cardinals or the Giants, would get eliminated, too!  I was giddy when the Cardinals (my boyhood team) finally won the Series again in 2006, but my heart absolutely exploded when the Giants came through last year, knowing that Jack got to see the Giants win again!  He was like a little boy back in Jersey City all over again…

Which leads us circuitously to the morning of August 10th, which should have been a day like any other.  Jack, at age 88, got up at the same time every day, had the same breakfast, read the Chronicle in the same order every day, and got dressed in more-or-less the same outfit every day.  But this, as happens about 6-7 times each year, was a special day—an afternoon Giants home game on a weekday!—and Jack tries never to miss an “Businessman’s Special”.  Jack got on the bus in the Marina, just as he has probably done 40 times over the past 8 years, but this time he wouldn’t be coming home.  Getting off the bus in front of AT&T Park, he lost his balance or was jostled and fell off the bus onto the curb, and hit his head.  Paramedics took him to SF General, where he was stabilized and then transferred to Kaiser, of course—Jack is and always will be a Kaiser man—but unfortunately the fall had done its terrible deed.  Post-concussive symptoms have lingered and the memories come and go now, and names and facts which until fairly recently could be easily retained now seem to slip quietly into the ether.  Conversations start and stop, and trains of thought sometimes never leave the station, and sometimes get easily derailed, but thankfully he seems to be slowly regaining some of the memories, little by little.  Doctors say though that all the chances he gets to be in familiar places definitely help retain and reinforce his memory, or at the very least slow down the progression…

But the independence is gone, the stability of a routine developed over 88 years undone by a simple mis-step.  Now others are stepping in to help Jack, just as he has reached out to help others over the years.  He is staying in a private care home until his sister in Florida can get his most prized things sent out to her, so she can create a comfortable place in her own home, for him to move into.  The preparations are underway and should be done in the next couple of weeks, but until then Jack is more or less confined to the care home.  Does it surprise you that he is irritated that the home doesn’t get the FoxSports channel on cable, so he can’t watch the Giants?  Or that he is the only resident currently who speaks on a regular basis, so he has no one to shoot the breeze with, or kibbutz with about the events of the day?

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 02:52:39 AM »
There was really no time to waste, the days are dwindling down…

It was time for “Operation Burger Dog”!  It was “now or never”!

So on September 10th, exactly one month after Jack’s fall, the ocean breeze off the Pacific and the full weight and well-wishes of the Olympic Club and many unbelievably supportive OC members carried Jack through the front sentries onto the grounds for the last time.  The sun had just broken through the marine layer a few minutes before and bathed the property, just as NBC hopes it does next June for the Open.  Jack choked up as we drove in, and he commented to me that he didn’t think he was ever going to get back there…Jack’s “guys” in the cartroom helped him into Cart #48, and with my wife (his niece) and my brother-in-law bringing up the rear, we started the roll down the driveway over to the Lake Course.  We gave Jack the choice of lunch locations and he specifically chose the Ocean Course grill, way back in the far corner by the 9th green…”Why, I said, don’t you want to go over to the Lake?  We can see more action there”—“nope, said Jack, the Ocean course was more like home to me anyway.  Let’s go there..”

So off we rolled down the road above #17 on the Lake and around the bend behind the 16th green on the Lake to the “other” grill tucked in the trees by the 8th tee/9th green of the Ocean Course.  I always got a laugh about that, since that spot is I think about as far away from the Ocean as you can get on the whole property, but whatever…

And this is when we knew this day just had to be, and that it would not and could not have played out any differently…

For we had not even gotten out of the carts yet when a handsome gentleman walked directly up to us, extended his hand to Jack, and said “Jack, you may not recognize me, but I’m one of the lectors at St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Pacific Heights, and I recognize you from Sunday Mass.  You don’t ever miss a Sunday!  How have you been?”  

When you think of the sequence of events that had to happen just right to put those two people in the exact same place at the exact same time, it simply boggles the mind.  And then, it turns out that this fine gentleman, a Mr. Ken Miller, has not been a member for very long at all, and he and Jack chatted for several minutes about how appropriate it was that a new member and an old member were crossing paths at exactly that moment…If any of you should happen to know Ken Miller, please let him know just how meaningful that moment was for Jack, as if he got to hand off his Olympic Club experience to yet another one of his “kids”…

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:02:17 AM by Peter_Herreid »

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 03:00:39 AM »

The burger dog went down easy, as did the first beer Jack has had since his fall—Jack tried to give the grill lady his member account number—how unbelievable is that?  He can’t remember most of our names or his old phone number, but he knew his old Olympic Club ledger number!  Of course, an incredibly generous Olympic Club member had already taken care of all the logistics—he knows how grateful we are for his assistance—and I think Jack thought the beer tasted even better since he didn’t have to pay for it—hah!

We lazed in the sunshine watching groups play the 16th green for 20 minutes or so.

Did the bunker short left on #16 Lake always have this pronounce “volcano” feel to it?

Jack thought it was amazing that “all the qualifiers for the US Open were playing in shirt-sleeves on such a cold day.”  We didn’t really bother correcting him that the Open is next year, or that he was really the only one bundled up to the gills, as it really didn’t matter…He gave us all one last “plethora” (inside joke) for old times sake, and it was time to go…
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:03:19 AM by Peter_Herreid »

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 03:05:28 AM »

I told you he might have a SFFD hat on!  We had to stop for one last “IOU” on the 18th green…

Then he was insistent on leaving a note for the head professional before we left, and sure enough, Jack remembered Mr. Stein’s name.  Jack may have introduced himself 3 or 4 times to everyone else in the pro shop, but he wasn’t going to leave without making sure that Mr. Stein got that note.  Rest assured the note was received, safe and sound.

As we got back in the cart for the slow roll back down the driveway to the cartbarn, Jack commented that he hadn’t realized just how much he missed the Olympic Club, and how much he loved it there.   No more tears, no more choking up, just a smile…and then another…and then another..and then a bit of silence…and as we were pulling out of the Club back onto the Great Highway, he reached over and squeezed my knee and said “Dad, I hope you know how much this means to me” and then he looked off into the sunshine and the ocean waves, and eventually the conversation started up again as we headed back to the care home…

I sincerely hope all of you have an “Uncle Jack”, too, whomever he or she may be.  Maybe they’ve shown you how to throw a baseball, or how to get just the right amount of vinegar in the dressing, or how to tie a bow-tie, or whatever.  Maybe they’ve taught you about loyalty, or life loss, or coping with cancer or a bad business outcome.  Maybe they’ve taught you about just being there for someone, at just the right time, with just the right words, in the just the right place…

We have no clue whether Jack will remember Saturday and “Operation Burger Dog”, but I’m going to go ahead and just simply believe he will.  We may never know, but that’s OK by me.  Thanks to all of you on GCA for helping out with my Uncle Jack moment, and if I can in any way return the good wishes, you know that I will…You can count on it…

“Touch ‘em all, McCovey!” and goodnight…
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:28:02 AM by Peter_Herreid »

Matt Day

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:28:47 AM »
what a fantastic read, Jack's  lucky to have such great friends and family

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 06:18:54 AM »
Peter -

Thanks for the wonderful account of your afternoon. Glad everything worked out for the best.

DT

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 06:19:11 AM »
Great story Peter. Best of luck to Jack.
H.P.S.

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 07:15:15 AM »
Great story Peter. Best of luck to Jack.

+1
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Jim Colton

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 07:31:27 AM »
There is no way this is "Way OT". This is what it is all about.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 08:09:20 AM »
Thank you, Peter...best to Jack and family.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 08:33:56 AM »
AWESOME!  This is really cool!

Golf is a great game, even better when shared and used for good! 

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 10:07:38 AM »
This is chief among the wonderful stories from this site.  Well done, Peter.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »
Peter,

Great Job.  We all should be lucky enough to have someone who cares enough to make sure we get out for our last Burger Dog.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Howard Riefs

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 10:25:05 AM »
Peter -

Thanks for sharing the story of Uncle Jack and his day at OC. Expertly told. Best wishes to him and your family.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
Very cool.  Thanks for sharing. 

Hmmm... burger...  :P
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Jim Johnson

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 10:44:37 AM »
Fantastic read Peter.

I'm late for work now.   :)

Bruce Katona

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 10:46:39 AM »
This is a great story.  My dad is Jack's age and the years have caught up with him.  He too is still a Giants fan (does not like the Yankees and hates the Dodgers) and attended both football and baseball games at the Polo Grounds....the Charlie Connerly game in the snowstorm is a family classic that will live on thru the generations.

My wife would be lucky enough to get 4 tix/year to Giant football games (usually the December games when interest wanes) in the Meadowlands (2 in a heated box 2 outside in the end zone).  Dad and my Uncle (his brother) would enjoy the game and buffet in the box while son and his buddy froze their as*es off sitting outside.  They would both tease me on the way home about it getting a little stuffy in the box during the second half, wise guys.

Shane Wright

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 10:47:26 AM »
Peter,

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story.  There is no way it is way OT.  Coming from a guy in the middle of the rat race chasing diapers, going to ballgames, etc, it is incredible stories like this that keep people like me involved in the game.  Think about all the amazing people you/I/everyone would not have met or connected with had it not been for golf.

All the best to Jack, you can most definitely carry this day with you forever.

Shane

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 11:03:51 AM »
Peter, sounds like your Uncle Jack has had a wonderful life.   Thanks for telling us about him.

Didn't you have a mustache when I saw you at Mountain Lake?   ???

Tim Leahy

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 12:56:45 PM »
There is nothing like Burger Dogs and good friends!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »
Peter,

Thanks so much for sharing this heartwarming story.

About 2 times a year, I'll copy and paste a link from this site and send it to my non-golfing family members and buddies.  This one will hit their inbox shortly.  

I hope Jack enjoys his time in Florida.

Ben
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:37:15 PM by Ben Kodadek »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
Not to demean the Internet (of which I am a huge fan) in any way -- but this story ought to be PUBLISHED.

On paper.

It's worth several lifetimes worth of "How to Cure Your Slice" articles.

Thank you, Peter.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Scott Szabo

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
There is no way this is "Way OT". This is what it is all about.
+1
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
Wonderful story, thanks for sharing.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back