News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Mosquitoes, I've found, are never a problem on the golf course till dusk -- at which point, golf itself becomes a bit of a problem.

The gnats, on the other hand....

Dan,

You must be used to them, because quite frankly the mosquitoes up here are brutal! Small birds really... :)

(*Seriously, they are apparently worse this year because they didn't spray for them for three weeks this summer during the government shutdown.)

Deet is a must

Dan Kelly

A friend of mine just got a job in the clubhouse at Tartan Park in Minneapolis. Has anyone played any of the courses there? If I were to visit him, what time of the year is best for golf? I hear mosqitos are a problem.

Tim,

I believe Tartan Park is the private club owned by 3M for use by employees, which is neat. Of course this thread is evidence enough that there are plenty of really good golf up here. Honestly, this has to be the best time of the year to visit...75*-80* and sunny with no humidity....pretty awesome.  

Yes. Just don't expect cohesion or beauty.

As for the mosquitoes: Really, Pat? Mosquitoes have been bothering you in full daylight?

Mosquitoes LOVE me. Flock to me. But I never have found them troublesome in full daylight.

You must be spending too much time with the other big hitters, in the woods... (emoticon omitted, with a nod to Dan Boerger)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:13:49 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

PCCraig

Of the big/to biggish American cities I have seen only a few really have a sense of cohesion and beauty and that is if we focus only on the traditional centre of the city.  Most are a sprawling mess and over-reliant on cars - which is the main reason for lack of cohesion.  There are reasons most people point to Euro cities as magnificent. 

Ciao

As is often the problem with American cities, a sense of cohesion and beauty.  

Sean,

I understand you're point regarding an abundance of cars and sprawl here in the States, however, that's a direct by-product of a much larger population on average. While some of my favorite cities are in Europe, there are quite a few cities here in the States that are world class...IMO, New York City, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Minneapolis, and Charleston being my favorites. Of those you really would only need a car in Charleston, as the rest have extensive public transportation.

As to not go too far off topic, Minneapolis currently has a fantastic bus system, which is hugely popular with commuters, and is either the 1st or 2nd best bike city in the country, thanks to numerous bike-only "highways" which are a very popular way to commute into work here (me included). Plus, they are expanding on their light rail system. All of this in addition to numerous parks and natural space which does a great job of breaking up the "sprawling mess."
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

Plus, they are expanding on their light rail system.

In an effort to become more "European."

John_Conley

Of the big/to biggish American cities I have seen only a few really have a sense of cohesion and beauty and that is if we focus only on the traditional centre of the city.  Most are a sprawling mess and over-reliant on cars - which is the main reason for lack of cohesion.  There are reasons most people point to Euro cities as magnificent. 

Ciao

Ah yes, it's long been a knock on Minneapolis and St. Paul that they aren't in Europe.

Dan Boerger

Downtown Minneapolis is a wonderful IMO (if it doesn't roll up a bit too early in the evening), and much of St. Paul really charming. Hard to find someone who's spent some real time there an doesn't like the place. Again, to each their own.

I have a standing invite to Wayzata ... any of you locals play it and any opinions?
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

John_Conley

Wayzata is a decent golf course.  It held a big event once...

1984: Doug Martin d. Brad Agee, 4 and 2; Wayzata (Minn.) C.C.; Medalist — 145, Doug Martin; Entries: 1,877

You'll notice its absence from threads discussing the best area courses.  Good, not great.

Morgan Clawson

Dan,

I have played Wayzata quite a few times, but not much in the last 2-3 years.

Funny you brought it up - I was going to mention to Pat that he should add it to his list.

Wayzata was one of the most popular clubs in town, and it still probably is.  Membership waiting lists were common and their downstroke was one of the highest in the Twin Cities.

This was the course that Tim "Lumpy" Herron honed his game. Golf Channel's "playing lessons from the pros" with Lumpy was shot at Wayzata CC.

Wayzata's greens are tough with some very aggressive back to front slopes and also some side slopes. You really want to stay below the hole here.  There's not a lot of quirk, and it is definitely not firm and fast. But it is a good solid parkland course and you will be glad you played there.

Jud_T

Pat,

It doesn't surprise me at all.  As we know Chicago has a lot of good, some very good, yet very little great golf for such a great city.  In addition, I'd imagine that the cooler climate up north allows for different grasses and better conditioning.  Are there any courses in the twin cities that have a surface that is primarily fescue?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jason Topp

Downtown Minneapolis is a wonderful IMO (if it doesn't roll up a bit too early in the evening), and much of St. Paul really charming. Hard to find someone who's spent some real time there an doesn't like the place. Again, to each their own.

I have a standing invite to Wayzata ... any of you locals play it and any opinions?

Worth playing if in town and invited.  I would not go out of my way to play it.  Tough course with a 60's era design - big greens and brawny from the back tees.  Greens can be nasty if firm and fast.

Dan Kelly

I have played Wayzata quite a few times, but not much in the last 2-3 years....

This was the course that Tim "Lumpy" Herron honed his game. Golf Channel's "playing lessons from the pros" with Lumpy was shot at Wayzata CC.

Wayzata's greens are tough with some very aggressive back to front slopes and also some side slopes. You really want to stay below the hole here.  There's not a lot of quirk, and it is definitely not firm and fast. But it is a good solid parkland course and you will be glad you played there.

Good summary -- though perhaps a bit outdated. They had a lot of work done at Wayzata over those last 2-3 years. If I'm not mistaken: better drainage (much needed in spots); newly rebuilt bunkers (which, I believe, still tend to be one gang-mower's distance away from greens [a Robert Bruce Harris trademark?]).

Morgan is right: Stay below the hole.

Oh, and they've built a beautiful new practice range/practice holes facility across Wayzata Boulevard from the clubhouse. I think the range is about 400 yards long. The problem with the old range, a member told me: When Lumpy came home to practice, he'd place himself at one corner, aim along the hypotenuse to the far corner, and still fly the ball "out of bounds."

BTW, just FYI: It's pronounced why-ZET-tuh. (I always wish you guys would provide such guidance for all of those courses in Rhode Island!)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:26:06 PM by Dan Kelly »

Dan Boerger

Thanks for the thorough and prompt responses! My host-to-be is a long time member there and proud of the club. I look forward to it.

As mentioned earlier in the thread have a strong hankering for Minikahda, Ron Prichard mentioned to me how happy he was with his work there (he did a lot of work at my club, too).

"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

John_Conley

BTW, just FYI: It's pronounced why-ZET-tuh. (I always wish you guys would provide such guidance for all of those courses in Rhode Island!)

No.

When Brenda Walsh dominated at the arcade, she said to Kelly Taylor that she was the Whack-a-mole champion of WAY-zot-uh before she moved to Beverly Hills.

I'll believe prime-time TV over the print media any day.

Phil McDade

No.

When Brenda Walsh dominated at the arcade, she said to Kelly Taylor that she was the Whack-a-mole champion of WAY-zot-uh before she moved to Beverly Hills.

The apocalypse is upon us; 90210 references on GCA! :-*

Wayzata has nothing on Oconomowoc (home of a Donald Ross, no less...)

Dan Kelly

No.

The apocalypse is upon us; 90210 references on GCA! :-*

Wayzata has nothing on Oconomowoc (home of a Donald Ross, no less...)

And the world's goofiest-looking "ski hill."

(Thanks for the 90210 explanation. I'm pleased to say I had no idea what John was talking about!_

John_Conley

Dan, it was bizarre.  Some writer obviously grabbed a map and picked "Wayzata" over something like "St. Paul" or "Brooklyn Park".  It wouldn't have been a problem had they pronounced it right.  I can't think of any other community in the area where pronunciation would be in question.  (Other than the obvious eh-DEEN-uh.)

PCCraig

(Other than the obvious eh-DEEN-uh.)

That's how you pronounce it? I've been saying "e-DI-nuh" 
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

I can't think of any other community in the area where pronunciation would be in question.  (Other than the obvious eh-DEEN-uh.)

Mahtomedi!

Phil McDade

Dan, it was bizarre.  Some writer obviously grabbed a map and picked "Wayzata" over something like "St. Paul" or "Brooklyn Park".  It wouldn't have been a problem had they pronounced it right.  I can't think of any other community in the area where pronunciation would be in question.  (Other than the obvious eh-DEEN-uh.)

No, Ms. Privileged Kelly clearly had to come from the western suburbs of Edina, Wayzata or Minnetonka (noting that Eden Prairie was barely a blip of a suburb back then.). There's no way Kelly comes from the blue-collar enclaves of Brooklyn Park or St. Paul. ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:47:53 PM by Phil McDade »

Phil McDade

I can't think of any other community in the area where pronunciation would be in question.  (Other than the obvious eh-DEEN-uh.)

Mahtomedi!

This is starting to remind me of the intermission act of "Guys on Ice," the hilarious regional musical, where the fishing buddy asks the audience:

"OK, which one of these towns is NOT in Wisconsin?

"Kenosha?
Kaukana?
Kewaunee?
Kewaskum?

.....or....

Dubuque, Iowa?"

John_Conley

Pat, it's simple.  For the 45,000 people that live there it is EE-DI-nah.  When they travel outside the state, it's eh-DEEN-uh?  (Yes, the voice inflection questions whether they are saying it right.  Nothing like KISS-imm-ee where people are certain about the pronunciation, even though they are dead wrong.)

And IIRC, the Walshes actually are from St. Paul.

Jason Hines

Pat, it's simple.  For the 45,000 people that live there it is EE-DI-nah.  When they travel outside the state, it's eh-DEEN-uh?  (Yes, the voice inflection questions whether they are saying it right.  Nothing like KISS-imm-ee where people are certain about the pronunciation, even though they are dead wrong.)

Wait a minute, I heard it was pronounced:

E very
D ay
I  
N eed
A ttention

?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:11:23 AM by Jason Hines »

Patrick Hodgdon

Pat, it's simple.  For the 45,000 people that live there it is EE-DI-nah.  When they travel outside the state, it's eh-DEEN-uh?  (Yes, the voice inflection questions whether they are saying it right.  Nothing like KISS-imm-ee where people are certain about the pronunciation, even though they are dead wrong.)

Wait a minute, I heard it was pronounced:

E very
D ay
I  
N eed
A ttention

?

Close, actually its Every Day I Need Allowance.  ;D
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back