News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Lozier

Re: Tell Us About the Best Golf Lessons Story You Have....
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 09:01:16 PM »
Ted,

I met Ben during my summer out there - I moved overseas to teach mathematics and coach in the UK that fall - but never taught with him.  I do know of his theories and, with an engineering degree, find them interesting. 

Cheers

Ted Cahill

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 09:55:44 PM »
Will- I suffered from a bending left wrist at impact- I imagine you see this alot in your students. Ben, and since then, Lynn Blake-have helped me greatly with keeping my left wrist flat at impact. I am a process guy and the Golffing Machine, translated by them, has been a solution for my swing issues. Us golfers are very greatful to you teaching pros to help us enjoy this mercurial game more.
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

David_Elvins

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 11:46:31 PM »
I feel fortunate to have had a chance to take lessons from him, even if I've struggled to implement.

Fair to say this is a fairly common opinion? 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2011, 02:26:20 AM »
Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry wouldn't take the stage either without seeing the green.  And they too were good enough to get away with it....

Still are!

A good friend of mine was booked to play piano with Chuck Berry on a UK tour a couple of years ago. The support act was Jerry Lee Lewis.

Both Chuck and Jerry Lee insisted on cash up front at every gig. Only the tiniest proportion of it trickled down to the backing musicians...

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2023, 01:24:45 AM »
Feeding off JK's comments on the PGA, and the ultimate demise of the PGA Pro, tell us your best golf lesson stories, good or bad.

I recall going to Rob Roy in Mt. Prospect, IL to take lessons.  Crusty old guy.  Says, "Do you play tennis?" No. "Shit, was going to make an analogy."  Baseball?"  "Yes, but I swing lefty in baseball"  "Shit, was going to make an analogy."  He ended up hitting my whole bucket (which, BTW, no one had told me was extra, so I had to wait for mom to come back and get me to pay the fee for those)

Chuck Pederson, or one of the McDonald brothers perhaps? Sounds more like Chuck Pederson. He was a PGA Professional and the Chief of Police in Arlington Heights.

Jeff-That is a classic. ;D

archie_struthers

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2023, 07:24:44 AM »
 8)

Had a ton of them in my life , none has really stuck ::)

Met Whitey Ford when I worked in the winter of 1983 in Florida at Adios GC. He was great!  He came to Pine Valley that summer and my boss Charley set it up so I played with their group . Really nice , thanks CR!

Front nine Whitey hits it in the trees left on pretty much every hole and does same with his approach shots. Shoots 50.  As we are walking from ninth green (left) to tenth tee he goes "ok hotshot what am I doing wrong"....knowing he was a pretty good player I just chuckle and say "plenty of room here you need to aim further right (he's a lefty) 

He shot 39 on the back nine and said   "Best lesson I ever got"
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 08:39:32 AM by archie_struthers »

Michael Moore

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2023, 08:18:20 AM »
One summer I took a couple of lessons from a local driving range pro, focused mostly on aim and alignment. He was a good and patient teacher, and had a lovely English accent.

We talked about the story where Tom Kite plays with the Texas team and beats them all handily. After the round one of the kids says "we all hit it and putted it the same, what just happened", and Kite says "I concentrated fully on every shot and you guys didn't". I learned how to aim the clubface then align my body then the feet.

At one point Paddy said "Michael, you've got to do this every time. You've got to pretend that you're playing for money, every time, every shot, every putt." Somewhat offended, I said "Come on man. I play in the sweeps every weekend. Last weekend I won $140 worth of golf balls!" Deeply unimpressed, in his best UK monotone, he replied "Michael . . . you're a fine player . . . you don't need any more golf balls."
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2023, 08:53:35 AM »
Feeding off JK's comments on the PGA, and the ultimate demise of the PGA Pro, tell us your best golf lesson stories, good or bad.

I recall going to Rob Roy in Mt. Prospect, IL to take lessons.  Crusty old guy.  Says, "Do you play tennis?" No. "Shit, was going to make an analogy."  Baseball?"  "Yes, but I swing lefty in baseball"  "Shit, was going to make an analogy."  He ended up hitting my whole bucket (which, BTW, no one had told me was extra, so I had to wait for mom to come back and get me to pay the fee for those)

Chuck Pederson, or one of the McDonald brothers perhaps? Sounds more like Chuck Pederson. He was a PGA Professional and the Chief of Police in Arlington Heights.

Jeff-That is a classic. ;D

Jim,

This was about 1967, and I really can't remember the instructor.....who was easily forgettable, LOL.

I'm impressed that someone is reading threads from a dozen years ago to get up to speed around here.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2023, 12:52:57 PM »
in 2010 spent three days with a teacher that coached a lot of tour pros and still has some guys on tour. Went home, worked at it (and dropped from an 8 to a 4. Shot even a few times and anything more than four or five over seemed almost impossible. Played well for three years until...

I spend a weekend hooking my driver to the point that I'm out of every hole right from the start.
Make a special trip for three more days with the instructor. Hooking, hooking, hooking. I ask about my grip. "Looks great" he says. Eventually, half way trough the first day he tells me that he doesn't understand it and that there is nothing he can do for me and that we wouldn't be proceeding. This threw me into a tailspin. This guy is a legend.

I go home and start taking lessons from everyone I can find. No one can help me. I start compounding the problem with all the new moves they were teaching me and up hurting my back but I stay at it. Everywhere I go, I ask about my grip and everyone tells me that it looks great. This goes on for years (Joe Bausch witnessed some of it). I eventually go all the way up to 24 hdcp. I was essentially laying three off the tee on every hole.

I get so demoralized that I stop taking lessons and stopped hitting balls on the range at my club. Then I stop going to the local muni range and am reduced to hitting balls in a field where no one can watch me. I spent about a year doing that before I reached rock bottom with a smooth 115 at my home course. I was so afflicted that very few people would play with me for fear of contagion.

Once I reached rock bottom  I asked my father if he would come out and watch me (he was a 22 at the time so you can sense the desperation). I am ready to give up at this stage but he comes along to the field and watches a few swings. He then gets a funny look on his face and asks, "What's with the right hand? Seems kind of strong." I argue a bit because every pro in eastern PA has told me that my grip is good. Finally, he says, just take your right hand off the club and when you put it back come in from the side and just rest it lightly. Don't even hold on really and just use your left side." High draw, high draw, high draw, high draw . . . my right hand had been essentially underneath the club the entire time...not one pro picked up on it. Hard to even imagine now many years later.

Some of the folks on this board know my father and he's a legend for a variety of reasons but definitely not his golf game but he diagnosed the problem and brought me back from the dead on the strength of zero pedigree. 

The guy that I now work with saw me a few years later [I had clawed back to an 8] and he took one look at my grip and said, "you'll never get back to 4 with that grip"  ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 12:55:53 PM by Rory Connaughton »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2023, 02:43:16 PM »
I had 3:
1. Was a teacher at Doral who taught me how to hit a punch shot with a wedge
2. George Lowe taught me how to putt
3. But my best, had me place 75% of my weight to my right side and from that point on, with few exceptions, I owned my swing for the rest of my playing days
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2023, 11:44:46 PM »
Jackie Burke demonstrated how he managed longer putts!
Brooks Koepka shared how he tries to hole out greenside bunker shots!
Will Ellender and I threw some golf clubs together too!

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

jeffwarne

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2023, 12:04:52 AM »
There are currently more good players and good instructors than there ever were.
there are definitely more instructors with good knowledge and experience than ever, though some may lack the experience or skill to properly share it in the appropriate way for each individual.
That said, it is amzaing to me how many really bad instructors there still are,which kind've makes sense when you realize the most common comment about a golf pro is usually how nice a guy or gal they are, and students nearly always blame themselves for failure.
A very good rule of thumb i've observed is, the more dogmatic(with exceptions) and preachy an instructor is, the less people he's going to effectively reach.
It's not about how much he knows, but rather about how much you learn, or more importantly, what results you get going forward from your collective efforts.
The phrase "often wrong, but never in doubt" comes to mind when watching so many teach.

It's OK for a teacher to say he needs to think about a problema and think about it for awhile to find an effectice solution.
The worst, confidently dive in and can lead you right off a cliff.

An entire generation(mine) pretty much generally shied away from golf instructon after one or two bad experiences, whixh is a shame because despite the prices being higher than they ever have been(usually by a lot) I'd say the value is far better than it used to be-if you can find the right person, of which there are far more.
I.e. paying $300 for an hour and getting something positive , is far better than wasting a lot of time for for a $300 10 hour series where you got no better and perhaps worse or even injured-to say nothing of the loss of the time.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 12:13:53 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ira Fishman

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2023, 09:38:37 AM »
I have had several teachers over 50 years that have been good at telling me the What (mechanics), but I do not remember any explaining the Why. I think the benefits would have lasted longer (less future tinkering on my own) if I understood the Why better.

And no one has been able to fix my miserable pitching game for more than a few months. Jeff, send video!

Ira

archie_struthers

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2023, 09:55:09 AM »
 8)

Ira , think of pitching a ball underhand into a basket . with your lower hand as you grip the club.

the higher you throw it ,the softer and higher you can hit it . Also when you do this it's different than chipping as that requires your weight to be forward and leaning towards the hole....sit back and let it go ...use the bounce don't cut hard across it

Ira Fishman

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2023, 10:00:49 AM »
Archie,

A bottle of bourbon will be on its way if it works!

Ira

archie_struthers

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2023, 10:08:43 AM »
 8)

From Phil Rodgers to YOU it comes

JMEvensky

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2023, 11:42:22 AM »
Archie,

A bottle of bourbon will be on its way if it works!

Ira

It will--I was taught the same thing 50+ years ago and it still does for me.

SL_Solow

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2023, 11:52:08 AM »
Ihad an Uncle who was a plus player for 40 years playing money games all over Chicago.  Never turned pro because of the life stle.  In any event, when I was a young lawyer I told him that I was having trouble recovering from sand bunkers.  At his insistence we met for lunch at a coffee shop in downtown Chicago for lunch.  After lunch he proceeded to take one of the old fashioned sugar containers and emptied it on the table.  He then picked up a spoon and demonstrated how the club needed to enter and exit the sand while giving some instruction on how to get there.  Needless to say I proceeded to recover beautifully for a long time.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2023, 12:13:20 PM »
Archie:

I can't recall where and who suggested the underhand softball thro of of the bunker (or high lob shots) but I've been doing that motion in practice for a bunker shots for more than a decade.  If it doesn't work, it operator error, not the technique.

During COVID, when there were no rakes in the sand and it was firm, I thinned shot after shot, with my sand wedge bouncing off the hard sand and skipping into the equator of the ball.  One day I was watching a YouTube video of Lee Trevino tanking about sand play and how he hit various shots.....low and behold firm sand came up.  I watched, practiced what he suggested a few times (didn't take many) and not that shot is in my bag.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2023, 01:35:12 PM »
One day I was watching a YouTube video of Lee Trevino tanking about sand play and how he hit various shots.....low and behold firm sand came up.  I watched, practiced what he suggested a few times (didn't take many) and not that shot is in my bag.

This one? 

https://youtu.be/tGZf_gIVp4M
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Pat Burke

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2023, 08:31:15 PM »
My grandfather
Ben Toski, the older brother of Bob.
Taught my family a lot. We were able to see him a few times a year and I got to play a decent amount of golf with him.

As a kid, maybe 14 or so, we were playing at Deal GC in NJ wher my dad worked.  I was always hitting a straight to little fade and was having a pretty good round going and got on 15 tee and hit one way right into the trees.

I was frustrated and whining about how I couldn’t hit a draw with my driver.
“What the hell’s wrong with hitting it straight!?”
Was grandpas response.
“Why the hell would you complicate things when you do t have to?”

If you knew the Toskis, the bluntness all makes sense, but it’s something I still remember and chuckle about when I get too clever over a simple shot

Bruce Katona

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2023, 01:09:39 PM »
Kevin:

Yes or one very like it

Buck Wolter

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2023, 02:39:59 PM »
I was at a mats only range 15 years ago getting ready for a member guest and was really struggling. I don't know if the guy was really a pro but I was in a dark place and I approached him after he was done with the lesson he was giving. Had me pull the handle down with my left hand and I won the shootout in our invitational that weekend (probably the greatest athletic accomplishment in my life). I think he charged $25 for an hour and I tipped him $10 -- he said he had never gotten a tip before. Never saw him again.

To Jeff's point I think there needs to be an app for matching you with a pro. I have my first lesson in a few years scheduled as I refuse to continue being inconsistent without at least trying to get some help. I have no idea if it'll be a match for what I think I want to do but I'm probably not willing to just hand myself over to somebody and live with the results. There aren't any Jeff Warne's in my neighborhood that I know of so I hope it works out.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back