News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Shimp

US womens am Rhode Island CC
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:16:30 PM »
Watching on tv. RICC looks terrific. Blend of parkland and shore. Especially fitting for womens am. CVS charity event makes it look easier than it is for 99 pct of players

It amazes me how many of these special, exclusive, summer oriented club courses Ross designed. How does ricc compare to some of the others of this ilk in RI (eg Newport, point Judith, etc).  There are a fewvof these types of places in NC where I live but they are mtn enclaves such as roaring gap, linville, and highlands.   Thanks for any thoughts

Tim Martin

Re: US womens am Rhode Island CC
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:23:16 PM »
John-Misquamicut is another in Westerly R.I. with a Ross pedigree that would fit the bill as a "Summer Club".
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:33:15 PM by Tim Martin »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 08:38:49 PM »
John,

I totally agree. This afternoon it was a breath of fresh air to switch over to The Golf Channel, from TNT, to see Rhode Island Country Club. RICC looks so pleasant compared to AAC. So much more pleasant...
jeffmingay.com

John Shimp

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
My club Charlotte hosted last year.  The scoring in stroke play is nearly identical between CCC and ricc.  Ricc though seems to allow more par scoring and fewer birdies.  It's a bit shorter and a stroke less at par. The spongy rough around ricc seems to be harder to recover from than at CCC.  Interesting how a big parkland Ross like Charlotte and a coastal smaller scale Ross can lead to similar results achieved differently.  I love the look of ricc.

Jason Walker

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:42:03 PM »
John-
I had the good fortune of living in Newport for three years.  As a redneck from the south I was SHOCKED at the quality of golf courses in RI.  I've now long said that RI has the best golf per sq mile in the US.

RICC is far different from Newport CC, closer to Point Judith.  I haven't played Misquamicut (but am going up in a few weeks) so can't comment there.  RICC is a "cleaner" design than PJCC if that makes sense.  Point Judith has some holes on the front side that I just don't get--apologies for the vagueness but it's been 13 years or so.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:51:51 PM »
I sure wish these tournaments were watchable at times other than 3 in the morning.  C'mon Golf Channel!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 10:16:36 PM »
Yesterday afternoon I was in Myrtle Beach nursing a Frozen Margarita while watching Casey Danielson defeat Duke University first-team All-American Lindy Duncan with a fantastic birdie put on the first sudden death hole. The cameras panned to sailboats cutting through the dark blue cold waters and I could not wait to get out of the sickly heat and humidity of S.C. and back to the Northeast.

Tonight I am home in N.J. and my windows are open to a delightful cool breeze.

I, too, want to play more golf in Rhode Island.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:30:27 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:32:32 PM »
Malcom:

Unfortunately, Casey lost her quarterfinal match today, 2-1, after leading much of the day.

She's the real deal; she's won the Wisconsin high school state golf tournament her first two years in high school, after her sister won it four years running. This past spring, she set the state record low-score in the tournament with a pair of 69s at University Ridge -- a solid score there. Oodles of natural talent, and a good kid to boot.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »

It amazes me how many of these special, exclusive, summer oriented club courses Ross designed. How does ricc compare to some of the others of this ilk in RI (eg Newport, point Judith, etc).  There are a fewvof these types of places in NC where I live but they are mtn enclaves such as roaring gap, linville, and highlands.   Thanks for any thoughts

John,

RICC is very much the suburbs of Providence and in no way is it a "summer oriented club" in comparison to Newport, Port Judith or Misquamicut. That said, it obviously looks like a summer club depending of where you are on the property:

I have never played RICC, but there are a ton of towns (Rumford, Barrington, Bristol...) on and around Narragansett Bay that look like Ocean towns aka why Rhode Island is called "The Ocean State."

The drive from Narragansett (Point Judith) to Newport (NCC) to Little Compton (Sekonet) is comparable to the 14-17 stretch at Cypress Point. You feel like you are dancing on the ocean.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 11:23:53 PM »
Phil,

Yes, I realized I had misread the results of that match and had to change my post. The USGA website had an arrow between the two competitors names which was open to interpretation.

Drat! ....after watching the end results of Thursday's match I was really pulling for Casey.

I will be looking forward to seeing both Danielson sisters competing in the future.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:41:57 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 12:03:17 AM »
Sister plays for Wisconsin -- I expect Casey will follow her here.

Cory Brown

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 12:27:17 AM »
Mac,

Not sure where you live, but Women's am is on at noon Pacific, so I would assume 3 pm Eastern US.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 07:51:33 AM »
Cory...that is it...I need to move!!   :)

Matthew MacKay

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 08:56:39 AM »
I just returned from RICC after refereeing the 2 stroke play rounds and 2 rounds of match play. It really is a lovely spot, and a heckuva golf course. The last 4 holes along the water are definately the sexy holes, but there are numerous excellent holes on the wooded side, along with a very good set of Ross greens.

Oh, and those (young) women can really play...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 04:17:29 PM »
FYI, the US Womens Am is on The Golf  Channel right now.  I am finding swithcing back and forth between the PGA to be worthwhile. 

Carl Johnson

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 07:49:23 PM »
FYI, the US Womens Am is on The Golf  Channel right now.  I am finding swithcing back and forth between the PGA to be worthwhile. 

I did the same this (Saturday) afternoon.  The RICC course looks great, and I found the semi-final matches were more compelling than the 3rd round of the PGA Championship.

John Shimp

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 09:11:05 PM »
Carl
Agree on the matches being more interesting. Watching te putting was fun. Huge breakers on ricc.  Some really good play today. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 08:39:31 AM »
Coincidentally just got a mailer from The Burke Fund http://burkefund.org/about.html

They are having their outing on September 6  at RICC - Tuesday after Labor Day. $175 and only 128 players is a nice deal.

Phil McDade

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 10:12:10 AM »
Mike:

I really like the look of the course from TV. Any reason that's known why Ross built the driving range on some of (what appears to be) the best land out there?

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 10:30:28 PM »
Mike Sweeny,

Thanks for the heads up! I can't make it this year, but hope to make it sometime in the future. Looks to be a fine organization.
Interesting, Brad Faxon, who was on the telecast one day, pointed to his start at RICC, as a shoe shine boy and caddie, as his entree to golf. He has a Burke scholarship endowed in his name. Good stuff.

Ms. Kang was dominant out there today, but I must say that the overall quality of the gals play was VERY stout. The light winds and softer conditions tempered the test somewhat, but the skiils and scoring,especially the short game displayed by some, was exceptional.
The gal from LSU yesterday shot -3 and really was down all day. Kang today with 11 birdies and 0 bogies in 36 holes! Impressive.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 12:56:08 AM »
Phil,

Why isn't the Danielson brother going to be a Badger? I have a friend who played with him in the junior-am portion of an ajga event. Said he was a nice kid.

Phil McDade

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:43 AM »
Phil,

Why isn't the Danielson brother going to be a Badger? I have a friend who played with him in the junior-am portion of an ajga event. Said he was a nice kid.

Jeff:

A guess -- but the recent head coaching change at UW may have played a role. Jim Schuman, former head coach (and Jerry Kelly's brother-in-law), left last spring to open a golf academy at Hawks Landing and try to gear up his game for the Senior Tour (he's in his late 40s). Word around town was that AD Barry Alvarez was looking to make a change, and hadn't been happy w/ the progress of the men's program (given a very good UW-owned course and practice facility at URidge and recent success of northern programs like Minnesota :o). High school athletes sometimes get attached during recruiting as much to the coach as the school, although I don't know if that's the case w/ Danielson.

Mike Tanner

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 04:59:59 PM »
Carl
Agree on the matches being more interesting. Watching te putting was fun. Huge breakers on ricc.  Some really good play today. 

I was switching back and forth from the PGA championship at AAC to the Women's Am at RICC too. And I with no other evidence than what I could see on TV, I'd much rather play the the Ross course.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back