News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kenny Baer

Re: What is the worlds top public golf destination?
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2011, 08:31:42 PM »
If we are talking about year round destinations then Cabo wins hands down.  Febuary in Cabo vs Feb in Bandon....no comparison!!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2011, 08:35:02 PM »
If we are talking about year round destinations then Cabo wins hands down.  Febuary in Cabo vs Feb in Bandon....no comparison!!

Hmmm. Lemme think. Winter in Oregon or Cabo?  I'll get back to ya.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »

How's the summer in Cabo?  This is a serious question.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

David_Elvins

« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
Yes St. Andrews is a better "destination" when you toss in all the non-golf stuff, history, culture etc. and you overlook paying DEARLY for a guaranteed time on the Old Course, but seriously guys, aside from the occasional rediculous winds and a couple of mediocre holes on Bandon Dunes, nothing comes close for most of us...

It all depends how you weight the various factors.  I don't think the culture of a place should be underestimated.  I found bandon resort to be quite sterile and bland, and the crowd very homogenous.  There was also a lack of real variety in the dining/drinking establsihments.  St Andrews beats it by so far in this category that it isn't funny.  Even if bandon had better courses, that doesn't mean you can ignore its downsides such  as cost and culture.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jud_T

« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2011, 10:15:12 AM »
David,

I've got all the foodie options and culture I need at home.  Can't speak for everyone else here, but I go on golf trips for golf.  Give me great courses at a fair price, a burger, a beer, a bed and a hot shower and I'm happy...Barnbougle seems fantastic, but unless you're fortunate enough to live down under, it's a bit of a hike and also hard to tell the wife that you and your buddies are going to Australia on a golf trip and she's staying home to watch the kids...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony Gray

« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2011, 10:20:43 AM »

You wouldn't want to walk the courses.

Anthony

Phil McDade

« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2011, 10:21:37 AM »
Can anyone name a public golf resort with 4 higher rated courses by any of the magazines or general GCA concensus than Bandon? Yes St. Andrews is a better "destination" when you toss in all the non-golf stuff, history, culture etc. and you overlook paying DEARLY for a guaranteed time on the Old Course, but seriously guys, aside from the occasional rediculous winds and a couple of mediocre holes on Bandon Dunes, nothing comes close for most of us...

Jud:

You probably pay DEARLY for a guaranteed time for a foursome at TOC, if you want to play with the three guys you travel with to St. Andrews.

It's not that hard to get on the Old Course, if you're willing to hoof it alone and line up as a single in the morning; you'll get on that day. Insisting on playing with your friends is the equivalent of "all the non-golf stuff, history, culture etc." If the golf is the thing, as you suggest, there's no reason to pay dearly to get on TOC.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2011, 10:35:54 AM »
I didn't get on as a single, tried four or five times. Singles cannot enter the ballot, even if they are staying in the city for two weeks. Many groups at TOC go out in two or threesomes while a lot of golfers are standing on the sidelines and can't play. But the Links Trust makes zero effort to pair up, they let TOC run at maybe 70% capacity and have no problems turning visitors away.

So all is not rosy at St Andrews, but this doesn't change the fact that people from all over the world come there to play - if they get a teetime at TOC or not.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Phil McDade

« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2011, 10:46:26 AM »
Ulrich:

That's different than my experience, and those of others who have traveled there recently.

You can walk it for free on Sundays! :D

Carl Nichols

« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2011, 10:52:42 AM »
Can anyone name a public golf resort with 4 higher rated courses by any of the magazines or general GCA concensus than Bandon? Yes St. Andrews is a better "destination" when you toss in all the non-golf stuff, history, culture etc. and you overlook paying DEARLY for a guaranteed time on the Old Course, but seriously guys, aside from the occasional rediculous winds and a couple of mediocre holes on Bandon Dunes, nothing comes close for most of us...

Jud:

You probably pay DEARLY for a guaranteed time for a foursome at TOC, if you want to play with the three guys you travel with to St. Andrews.

It's not that hard to get on the Old Course, if you're willing to hoof it alone and line up as a single in the morning; you'll get on that day. Insisting on playing with your friends is the equivalent of "all the non-golf stuff, history, culture etc." If the golf is the thing, as you suggest, there's no reason to pay dearly to get on TOC.

What's the going rate for a guaranteed foursome at TOC?  I assume it has to be arranged through some trip organizer or similar third party?

Daryl David

« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2011, 05:30:14 PM »
Around 2000 pounds.  Hard to tell what you are paying for the round of golf on TOC as it comes with 2 other rounds and hotel. 

http://www.oldcourse-experience.com/standrews.htm#2

Kin Britton

« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »
For me it will always be St Andrews. Great people.  Great town with cool places like the Dunvegan and St Andrews Golf Club.  Great golf- Old, New, Jubilee, Kingsbarns, Lundin, Crail, Panmure, Carnoustie (even though I personally don't like Carnoustie), and Elie all within 45 minutes.  Easy day trip to East Lothian for a North Berwick, Gullane or Muirfield round.  Could also make the run to Aberdeen.  Easily accessible golf...of all those names the "hardest" round to get is Muirfiled and all you have to do is plan in advance.  Great weather!  Nothing like leaving the South in July or August to go somewhere with a high of 65!  I will even take a little rain and wind.

Brett Morris

« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2011, 07:38:11 PM »
When I read the thread title, and although I have not been there personally, I immediately thought that Mission Hills in China could be considered.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2011, 07:51:42 PM »

Cabo is perfect for about 10 months.

August and September will average highs of around 94 with about 50% humidity on avergae.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2011, 07:55:16 PM »
Ulrich:

That's different than my experience, and those of others who have traveled there recently.

You can walk it for free on Sundays! :D
Ulrich, usually your B&B or Hotel will put singles together into the ballot.  IT usually worked at Fairmont.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back