News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

The Lost Holes of St. Andrews
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:12:56 PM »
The Lost Holes of St. Andrews.
What might have happened in 1794.
An informed speculation by Peter N. Lewis.

I received a package from the R&A today with a five page essay on the subject; it is very good.

The article first appeared in the June, 2011 issue of Through the Green, the magazine of the British Golf Collectors Society. You may be able to download it from there.

Bob

RSLivingston_III

Re: The Lost Holes of St. Andrews
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:08:09 AM »
That is an outstanding article.I enjoyed reading it when i received the BGCS members copy a couple months ago. Amazing to think what it was like playing the 22 holes, especially with the equipment of the time - feather balls & wooden head clubs.
The June 2011 edition doesn't appear to be up on the site, yet.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:12:13 AM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Hopefully the BGCS will get their online issue links updated.  Last one was June of 2010.

This sounds like an interesting read.

David Cronheim

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »
Isn't the entire course essentially "lost" since it used to play backwards...
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »
The BGCS policy is to only have the magazine from 12 months ago available free on the website. So to see the latest issues (4 a year) requires you to become a member. I'm a member and I'd highly recommend Through The Green, its a very interesting publication.

The article about the lost holes is fascinating, and Lewis presents rather a compelling case for his thesis.

RSLivingston_III

Re: The Lost Holes of St. Andrews New
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
Isn't the entire course essentially "lost" since it used to play backwards...

This is a common misunderstanding. The reverse rotation, as I understand it, was Instituted by Morris to reduce wear on the course, and is a relatively modern invention.

There were 'basically' 11 holes during the featherball / early gutty eras  and you played out and back on these holes. They were roughly routed through what is currently the back nine holes. When the course started getting too busy the front nine was created to eliminate groups playing inbound having to run into outbound groups. It was described as a sea of gorse that was cut and cleared to create the current front nine.
The course we know didn't come into existence until well into the gutty era and even then the green of 1 and the green and tee of 18 were still changed.
Remember the photos of 1 & 18 fairways that Melvin posted some months ago?

Reminiscences of Golf on St. Andrews Links - James Balfour - 1887
Is a must read if you have an interest in TOC.

This is, of course, a quickie outline. There is MUCH more to the story.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:22:01 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back