News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

Re: Your Last Ten
« Reply #1825 on: October 05, 2021, 09:26:32 AM »
Old Elm
Indian Hill Club
Blue Mound
Beverly
Fox Chapel
Oakmont
Eastward Ho
Whitinsville
Medinah #1
Lake Shore
Lac La Belle

Brad Engel

« Reply #1826 on: October 05, 2021, 09:52:06 AM »
Glad to have been able to travel more after most of my 2020 plans got "COVID-ed". This year has been a combo of the "Bob Ford Retirement Circuit" as well as a Seth Raynor deep dive architectural study.

Seminole
Valhalla
Oakmont
Fox Chapel
Yeaman's Hall
Blue Mound
Shoreacres
Inverness
Wykagyl
Fisher's Island

J_ Crisham

« Reply #1827 on: October 05, 2021, 10:01:27 AM »
Glad to have been able to travel more after most of my 2020 plans got "COVID-ed". This year has been a combo of the "Bob Ford Retirement Circuit" as well as a Seth Raynor deep dive architectural study.

Seminole
Valhalla
Oakmont
Fox Chapel
Yeaman's Hall
Blue Mound
Shoreacres
Inverness
Wykagyl
Fisher's Island
Brad- what were your thoughts on Blue Mound?

Drew Harvie

« Reply #1828 on: October 05, 2021, 11:16:12 AM »
I've had a nice stretch here lately, and saw this pop up so I figured I'd post.

Bandon Preserve
Pacific Dunes
Sheep Ranch
Bandon Trails
Old Macdonald
Bandon Dunes
Cal Club
San Francisco
Olympic Club (Lake)
Harding Park

Richard Fisher

« Reply #1829 on: October 05, 2021, 12:38:09 PM »
A weird year, albeit not as weird (or as sad, quite) as last.

So, aside from usual domestic Gog Magog Old and Wandlebury,

Huntercombe
Bishop Auckland
Seaton Carew
Cleveland
Elsham (Lincs)
Harlech
St Annes Old Links
Luffenham
The Sacred Nine
Chelmsford

Of the newbies (to me) in this list, St Annes Old Links probably comes top and Cleveland second: I probably wouldn't rush back to Chelmsford or Elsham or Bishop Auckland.

Woking, Porthcawl and Harlech coming up over next fortnight, so things are looking up. But in general hoping for considerably more normality in 2022...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1830 on: October 05, 2021, 12:43:29 PM »
Because of foot injury and surgery I didn't play from September 2020 until August 20 of this year, but I had a busy five weeks, thank goodness.

In the order of my memory.
Ballyhack (home course)
Bryce Resort (where I live)
Birdwood (UVA course)
Dormie
Cedarbrook (public outside Pittsburgh)
Elyria CC (a nice Flynn surprise)
Bloomfield Hills (Terrific terrain and one of only a handful of US courses by Colt)
Franklin Hills (one of the best conditioned courses I have ever played)
Oakland Hills (South) (great Hanse renovation)
Baltusrol (Lower) (love what Hanse did)
Hidden Creek (one of my favorite places to be)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 09:16:57 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Sherma

« Reply #1831 on: October 05, 2021, 04:45:21 PM »
Good stretch of courses recently. Not including my home courses, Hershey CC East and West:

> Lebanon CC - Lebanon, PA (Alec Findlay - recent reno by Forse)
> Sunnehanna CC - Johnstown, PA (Tillinghast +)
> *Indiana CC - Indiana, PA (Willie Park Jr)
> *Hidden Creek - Egg Harbor, NJ (Coore & Crenshaw)
> *Rolling Green - Springfield, PA (Flynn)
> West Shore CC - Camp Hill, PA (Ed Tabor)
> *Greystone GC - White Hall, MD (Joe Lee)
> *Philadelphia CC - Gladwyne, PA (Flynn)
> Moselem Springs GC - Fleetwood, PA (George Fazio)
> *Mount Pleasant GC - Baltimore, MD (Gus Hook)

* First time playing

Looking at this list I would recommend everything on this list other than Greystone, there are shots on Greystone that simply do not do it for me. A couple you could excuse by the fact that it was built for a private club and they simply don't work for a public, others simply don't work period.

Of the first time plays Rolling Green, Hidden Creek and Philadelphia CC were all high end and I would love to return to any of them. Mount Pleasant was a great surprise and a really good piece of land for a course. I consider it one of the top courses in Baltimore even given it's muni-shabby-chic conditions and buildings.

I've played West Shore CC multiple times over the years and had forgotten how good it is. Even locally it does not get much notice. I strongly recommend it as worth a play along with Lebanon. Moselem and Sunnehanna are known commodities and live up to their reputations, probably each are currently underrated relative to the young new things.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #1832 on: October 05, 2021, 09:29:38 PM »
Mine is sick so I'll put it on,

Cal Club
St. Louis CC
Log Cabin
St Louis CC
Chicago GC
Mammoth Dunes
The Sand Box
Lawsonia Links
Cypress Point
Monterey Peninsula (Dunes)
Pasatiempo.

Sean_A

« Reply #1833 on: October 06, 2021, 01:49:50 AM »
Joel

Log Cabin?

An eclectic mix of courses

Burnham x2
Berkshire Red
Piltdown
Harewood Downs
Swinley Forest
Reddish Vale
Cavendish x2
Cleeve Cloud

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 01:55:08 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brad Engel

« Reply #1834 on: October 06, 2021, 08:56:19 AM »

My high level takeaway was that if Scioto and Camargo had a baby, the result would be Blue Mound (course, clubhouse, property, etc).

Starting with the Road Hole 5th and running through the 9th hole (as well as the 12th and 13th on the back), I thought there were a lot of great holes on the East side of the property where there was a little more land movement trundling down toward the Menomonee River. The 8th hole may be one of the more unique Punchbowl holes I've played. From the clubhouse patio, the green looks like a collapsed volcano!

The West side of the property had some good holes (1-4), but also some just okay holes (10,11,16,17,18) where the land was a little flatter and some of the greens/holes felt a little more repetitive. A lack of interesting land movement tee to green isn't necessarily a death sentence (see Chicago Golf, Yeaman's, etc.), however, the thing that distinguishes those two courses above Blue Mound is their greens are in another class.

Overall, I found Blue Mound to be a very strong track that I could play every day. Not necessarily "elite", but being a Doak 6 or 7 is nothing to sneeze at!

Seminole
Valhalla
Oakmont
Fox Chapel
Yeaman's Hall
Blue Mound
Shoreacres
Inverness
Wykagyl
Fisher's Island

J_ Crisham

« Reply #1835 on: October 06, 2021, 11:27:26 AM »

My high level takeaway was that if Scioto and Camargo had a baby, the result would be Blue Mound (course, clubhouse, property, etc).

Starting with the Road Hole 5th and running through the 9th hole (as well as the 12th and 13th on the back), I thought there were a lot of great holes on the East side of the property where there was a little more land movement trundling down toward the Menomonee River. The 8th hole may be one of the more unique Punchbowl holes I've played. From the clubhouse patio, the green looks like a collapsed volcano!

The West side of the property had some good holes (1-4), but also some just okay holes (10,11,16,17,18) where the land was a little flatter and some of the greens/holes felt a little more repetitive. A lack of interesting land movement tee to green isn't necessarily a death sentence (see Chicago Golf, Yeaman's, etc.), however, the thing that distinguishes those two courses above Blue Mound is their greens are in another class.

Overall, I found Blue Mound to be a very strong track that I could play every day. Not necessarily "elite", but being a Doak 6 or 7 is nothing to sneeze at!

Seminole
Valhalla
Oakmont
Fox Chapel
Yeaman's Hall
Blue Mound
Shoreacres
Inverness
Wykagyl
Fisher's Island
Brad,  Thanks for the response. I agree with just about all of your observations. I'm not sure if you've played BM once or several times but it is interesting how the holes on the flattish ground are often overlooked or under appreciated.  At  BM I find the 2nd green, double plateau and the 10th green, Raynors Prize to be the 2 most sophisticated greens on the property. That being said I also believe that the green complexes are the equal to CGC and collectively better than YHC. In fact I would consider the green complexes to be amongst my top 3  of CBM/Raynor/Banks. Fishers and Camargo would be my others favorites. It's interesting how preferences/views differ- kind of like blonds, brunettes and red heads.......

Brad Engel

« Reply #1836 on: October 06, 2021, 11:35:24 AM »

Totally agree about the personal preferences! Hearing other points of view is one of the main things I enjoy about this site, when the discourse is informed and respectful! Regarding your point about the 2nd and 10th greens at BM, I agree those were certainly two of the more interesting ones. Also, you astutely pointed out a distinction between 1 play vs. multiple. I have only been around BM once to date, so will definitely keep my mind open as I hopefully get back again!

Seminole
Valhalla
Oakmont
Fox Chapel
Yeaman's Hall
Blue Mound
Shoreacres
Inverness
Wykagyl
Fisher's Island
Brad,  Thanks for the response. I agree with just about all of your observations. I'm not sure if you've played BM once or several times but it is interesting how the holes on the flattish ground are often overlooked or under appreciated.  At  BM I find the 2nd green, double plateau and the 10th green, Raynors Prize to be the 2 most sophisticated greens on the property. That being said I also believe that the green complexes are the equal to CGC and collectively better than YHC. In fact I would consider the green complexes to be amongst my top 3  of CBM/Raynor/Banks. Fishers and Camargo would be my others favorites. It's interesting how preferences/views differ- kind of like blonds, brunettes and red heads.......

Mike Hendren

« Reply #1837 on: October 06, 2021, 11:53:08 AM »
The 10th green at Blue Mound is tickety boo and totally disco.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Martin

« Reply #1838 on: October 06, 2021, 12:31:50 PM »
Wintonbury Hills GC
Shorehaven GC
Mount Anthony CC
Haystack GC
Yale GC
East Mountain GC
Paramount CC
Taconic GC
Sunningdale GC (USA)
Orchards GC

J_ Crisham

« Reply #1839 on: October 06, 2021, 12:43:45 PM »
The 10th green at Blue Mound is tickety boo and totally disco.

Bogey
Michael- what in the world does that mean? I must be showing my advanced age.........

John Mayhugh

« Reply #1840 on: October 06, 2021, 01:16:38 PM »
Will give this a shot (last 10 courses, not rounds):

Midland Trail
Beverly
Medinah 1
Davenport
Cedar Rapids
Harvester
Big Spring
Ozaukee
Milwaukee
Harmony Landing

Seven of the ten were with friends I've met through GCA. Sadly, Holston Hills has been neglected of late but that's to be remedied on Friday.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #1841 on: October 06, 2021, 01:39:03 PM »
Joel

Log Cabin?

If you know, you know.

Log Cabin formed in 1899. Robert Foulis built the course in 1911.  Roger Null a former superintendent turned architect decimated it beyond recognition in 2014.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #1842 on: October 06, 2021, 02:23:43 PM »

Midland Trail
Beverly
Medinah 1
Davenport
Cedar Rapids
Harvester
Big Spring
Ozaukee
Milwaukee
Harmony Landing

Seven of the ten were with friends I've met through GCA. Sadly, Holston Hills has been neglected of late but that's to be remedied on Friday.
Sure wish I could figure out how to get on Holston Hills someday.......

Tim Martin

« Reply #1843 on: October 06, 2021, 02:31:48 PM »

Midland Trail
Beverly
Medinah 1
Davenport
Cedar Rapids
Harvester
Big Spring
Ozaukee
Milwaukee
Harmony Landing

Jack-A beautiful access play. ;D

J_ Crisham

« Reply #1844 on: October 06, 2021, 02:40:04 PM »

Midland Trail
Beverly
Medinah 1
Davenport
Cedar Rapids
Harvester
Big Spring
Ozaukee
Milwaukee
Harmony Landing

Jack-A beautiful access play. ;D
Mayhugh knows me well enough to not invite me......  ;)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #1845 on: October 06, 2021, 02:45:44 PM »

Mayhugh knows me well enough to not invite me......  ;)

Hahahahaha
There is a standing invite.

Mike Worth

« Reply #1846 on: October 06, 2021, 07:15:33 PM »
Atlantic City
Bidermann
Algonquin NB
Fundy Park NB
Ashburn (Old) NS
Highland Links NS
Grindstone
North East Harbor
Castine
Megunticook
Wawenock

I did the Down East Maine/Canadian Atlantic Provinces trip.

MCirba

« Reply #1847 on: October 06, 2021, 09:15:06 PM »
Atlantic City
Bidermann
Algonquin NB
Fundy Park NB
Ashburn (Old) NS
Highland Links NS
Grindstone
North East Harbor
Castine
Megunticook
Wawenock

Mike Worth,

Great list.

I really enjoyed Wawenock and Castine was about as primitive as golf gets in the United States.

I found myself wishing I liked Northeast Harbor more than I did.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #1848 on: October 06, 2021, 10:12:05 PM »
Stemming from Mac's recent thread, someone made the comment that most of the folks on here generally play average courses. 

Well...I'll represent the premise in the initial post about average courses (at least compared to most).  Generally, I still think it's above average, but below average compared to most posted on this thread.

Eisenhower Silver (USAFA)
Eisenhower Blue (USAFA)
Sonnenalp
Common Ground
Flying Horse
Lake Valley
Black Bear
Blackstone
Diamante (Arkansas not Cabo)
Cottonwood (in Alabama)

Mike Worth

« Reply #1849 on: October 07, 2021, 05:15:09 AM »
Atlantic City
Bidermann
Algonquin NB
Fundy Park NB
Ashburn (Old) NS
Highland Links NS
Grindstone
North East Harbor
Castine
Megunticook
Wawenock

Mike Worth,

Great list.

I really enjoyed Wawenock and Castine was about as primitive as golf gets in the United States.

I found myself wishing I liked Northeast Harbor more than I did.

I agree regarding Northeast Harbor. I can cross it off the list with no need to return.

Jeff Silverman insisted I play Castine — glad that I did. The uphill # 6 is the type of hole one doesn’t see any more.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 07:13:02 AM by Mike Worth »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back