News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Davis

Re: Your Last Ten
« Reply #1675 on: November 29, 2017, 06:09:08 AM »
After my Holland and England trip, I have to say I'm pretty excited to share this list! Links are to the course photos on my Flickr profile.

Gamble Sands
UGC de Pan
Hilversumsche
Kennember (B & C Courses)
Noordwijske
Royal Hague
Royal Antwerp
Eindhovensche
Woking
Liphook

Jordon,

Great list indeed. Very curious what you thought of the Dutch Courses given that's my home. Did you play Noordwijkse from the back tees in windorce 6? That's as tough a day out as you will ever find. You posted a partial card, what happened on #7? Did you make a 2, 4, 6 or 9. All are possible though the latter two scores more likely I'm afraid.

Hope NL was good to you. What was your favorites?
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Jordan Caron

« Reply #1676 on: November 29, 2017, 07:50:26 PM »

Jordon,

Great list indeed. Very curious what you thought of the Dutch Courses given that's my home. Did you play Noordwijkse from the back tees in windorce 6? That's as tough a day out as you will ever find. You posted a partial card, what happened on #7? Did you make a 2, 4, 6 or 9. All are possible though the latter two scores more likely I'm afraid.

Hope NL was good to you. What was your favorites?

David,

I loved all the courses I played. de Pan and Royal Hague top my list. Noordwijske, Eindhovensche, Hilversumsche & Kennemer all fantastic as well.

As for Noordwijske, a member at my club spent some time in the Netherlands and connected me with a female member there. Needless to say she was big on pace of play and I hardly had anytime to keep score or take photos. I did play it from the tips with a fair bit of wind (downwind of a 1 & 10, not sure of the direction) and I got beat up! Think I was 8 over the front and 2 over on the back. I made birdie on 7. Glad they moved the tee over to the right a little more to have a better angle. Easily one of the harder courses I've ever played.

Are you member there? Only assuming this due to your avatar.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:58:27 PM by Jordan Caron »

James Reader

« Reply #1677 on: December 01, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »

Hollinwell
Silloth
Sherwood Forest
Knole Park
St Andrews, Eden
Kingsbarns
Dukes, St Andrews
St Andrews, Jubilee
Hunstanton
Royal Cromer

Jason Topp

« Reply #1678 on: December 01, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »
I prefer to play an interesting course multiple times rather than run around and see a bunch of different courses once.  Nonetheless, in late September and October I saw a lot of interesting stuff.  Here is the list and my thoughts sitting here today:

Wolf Point – How often do you see something truly new on a golf course?  Wolf Point is loaded with new ideas.  The knuckles on greens are something I have never seen elsewhere and are an imaginative hazard that can make you look silly while providing a whole new strategic calculus.
Champions Jackrabbit – I really enjoyed the course although it probably exemplifies the dark ages of architecture of the 50’s through 70’s.  It is a solid, playable test of your game.
Sand Valley – each hole seems very good to my recollection.  For some reason the parts seem better than the whole.  I have no idea why.
Mammoth Dunes – got to play 17 of the holes.  Potentially really good. 
Windsong Farm – my home club.
Golden Valley- 6 par 5's, 5 par 3's all close to the same length.  Bisected by power lines, a road and a railroad.  Nonetheless a very enjoyable course - particularly when the heavily tilted greens are not at tournament speed.
Cedar Rapids – fabulous Ross
Davenport- only other Alison course I have played was Kawana in Japan.  This setting at Davenport was not as dramatic but the course might be better.
Mira Vista – Fort Worth, TX – housing, containment mounding and a big clubhouse.
Trinity Forest – Will be the true test of having wind and contour as the most significant hazards on the course.  I suspect the pros will hate this course.  I would want to play it 10 times before deciding what I think. 

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #1679 on: December 02, 2017, 07:52:30 AM »
Last 10 as of 12/2/2017. Rounding up my thoughts for my best of newly played. In order of most recently played.

Miami View - Home Club. Bid farewell to our super of 17 years. We’re finalizing paperwork on the new super. I’m excited to meet him and get his views on the course and what he has planned.

Cedar Rapids CC - Main site of 2017 Midwest Mashie. Amazing to see the before and after in the photos. Couldn’t even imagine the before while looking out on the course. 

Davenport CC - My main thought after playing Davenport: I really need to play Kirtland in 2018 to compare. Last 3 holes are up there with the best 16-17-18 finish I've played. Top 2 course of 2017 for me.

TPC Deere Run - I had fairly low expectations, and I would say they were appropriately met. I'm glad I played it, but once is enough. Can’t imagine how spectators follow players for the whole 18. Much hillier than I realized. Also, how the hell did Paul Goydos shoot a 59 there?

Des Moines G&CC (North) - The surprise of the Iowa trip for me. Went in with modest expectations, but they were highly exceeded. Old school Dye with recent touch-ups from Liddy; really enjoyable course. Played it just over a month after the Solheim Cup. Shocker: I can’t hit the ball as far as Lexi Thompson. Could easily play here every day. Wish I had time to check out the South course.

Wakonda - What a course to start a trip with. A half mile from the airport. Off the plane, on the course. The land is incredible. I did not expect so much elevation in Des Moines. A few too many blind shots for my taste. A renovation on the scale of Davenport or Cedar Rapids would do the course wonders.

Urbana CC - I went back to my Confidential Guide and re-read the bit about Urbana. I think Tom needs to come back out and see the P.B. Dye 9. A great mix of classic and modern, and one that doesn’t feel disjointed. Just missed seeing P.B. himself by a few minutes during my visit.

Country Club of Charleston - Even though I have a Raynor in my hometown, I apparently like to travel 12 hours via car to play my Raynors. First Midland Hills; now CCC. I’m still not sure what my favorite new course was this year, but this is in my top 2. This course has a lot more Raynor left than Midland for sure. The par 3 11th Redan and par 4 16th Lionsmouth were all they were cracked up to be. I spent about 5 extra minutes on the Lionsmouth green playing shots. Probably the most interesting set of greens I’ve played yet.

Traditions GC - Played with a good GCA friend of mine. Wasn’t too enamored with the course, but it was on my local to-play for a while, so I’m glad I got it notched. Also good to catch up with a friend.

Springfield CC - Played this 3 days after the US Open Sectional Qualifier. How the hell did someone shoot 61 on this course in that tournament?! Springfield was in awesome, fast/firm shape when I was there thanks to their great super, Chad Dorrell. Played my GCA Midwest Knockout match here.

JBovay

« Reply #1680 on: December 03, 2017, 07:03:06 AM »
Criss - I was fascinated to drive by Wakonda after landing in Des Moines (without my clubs) a few years ago, and spent an hour that night reading about Langford and Moreau.

Your and Jason's posts inspired me to revisit my last last ten. These haven't changed in several months, unless I'm forced to count a couple of partial rounds on mediocre courses. See below.

JBovay

« Reply #1681 on: December 03, 2017, 07:04:48 AM »

Highlands Links, Nova Scotia, 8: My first trip to Highlands Links--once my favorite course in the world--in eight years was filled with anticipation. I was amazed to see the contours of many of the greens, most of which I'd forgotten over the years. (2 and 7 were particularly remarkable in this regard; 5 is unforgettable.) Ian Andrew has done a great job of clearing out trees and opening up views on some holes; however, the course is still quite tight and there's little hope of finding one's ball once it's off the mown grass. Most surprising of all were the conditions in August 2016--as firm and fast as any true links, which only added to the challenge.

Cabot Cliffs and Cabot Links, Nova Scotia, 8: I loved the way that the greens blend in with the fairway on each hole on the property, and I think this lends a cohesive feeling--to me, it's a 36-hole course rather than two 18-hole courses. This feature was an eye-opener for me when I played Rustic Canyon a few years ago. At Cabot, though, the blend is done to perfection--there's no way to discern where the green ends. The double green (Links 8 & 13) stands out as something truly remarkable to me. Each of the holes along the ocean cliffs is incredible in its own way. I particularly liked Cliffs #10 for the dare it asks you to make, the green complex on Cliffs #16 (which would make it a terrific hole even if the ocean were not there), and the closing run on Links (14-16). Inland, true highlights for me were Cliffs 3, 4, and 5, and Links 11.

New Orleans CC, Louisiana, 4: A completely flat property (of course) with a decent number of live oak trees and only a couple of water hazards, the design just doesn't do enough to overcome the blandness of the site.

Shennecossett, Connecticut, 5: Shennecossett is a great place to play a late-afternoon or winter round. Hard to lose a ball, sometimes as firm as a links, several interesting Ross holes with severe hazards (4, 12, and 13 in particular) and front-to-back sloping greens (3, 5, 14). What a great deal, at $20 to $30. I frequently ask myself whether I think the Ross holes are better because I know they're Ross holes, or because they're on better land, or because they're simply better-designed.

Royal Portrush (Dunluce), N. Ireland, 8: Portrush is a spectacular setting, and the Dunluce course is routed over and through Goldilocks dunes, large enough to make the golf interesting and the course beautiful, but small enough to keep the golfer's focus on the fairways and greens rather than the hazards to be avoided. (This in contrast to courses like Cruden Bay, Royal County Down, and the New Course.) I expected to lose a couple of sleeves of balls, but found that the course played much wider than I expected and didn't lose a single one. Holes like the 5th and 6th by the cliffs and Calamity Corner rightfully get a lot of attention, but others including the par-5 2nd, the par-4 10th (Himalayas), drop-shot 13th, are also wonderful. My personal favorite, the 15th (Skerries) plays up and over a blind rise, leaving a short shot into a small, undulating, well-guarded green overlooking the new 7th and 8th holes and the small islands known as the Skerries. (Note that the new holes were not open when I visited.)

Royal Portrush (Valley), N. Ireland, 7: The best 11 or 12 holes on the Valley course are right up there with the (average hole on the) Dunluce course. Holes 6 to 9 and 16 to 18 on the revised routing are particularly strong; based on the before-and-after photos I saw, I think the new holes in the dunes make up for the two sacrificed holes. Obviously, the weak part of the course, in the shadow of Calamity Corner, drags it down a little. But each of the weak holes does have something to offer, and there's nothing wrong with a few easy pars. For the price I paid, and the ability to have the entire links to myself, this was a no-brainer choice.

Royal County Down, N. Ireland, 8: Royal County Down is, of course, ranked as one of the very best golf courses in the world. Playing it in a 20-mph wind (according to my phone; gusts would have been higher) out of the south, I found it tremendously difficult. One of the best courses I have played, for sure, but I would rather have played a second round at Dunluce than the second round I played at County Down. (It's also worth noting that the hospitality we received at RCD was cold in comparison to Portrush.)

A note on Portstewart and County Louth: As much as I would have liked to see these courses, I ultimately decided to play a second round at Royal County Down. My biggest regret from a trip to Scotland in 2014 was that I made tee times for Crail and Kingsbarns instead of trying to walk onto the Old Course; on my trip to Ireland, I didn't want to miss out on an opportunity to replay one of the very best courses in the world. And adding a fifth round to the itinerary would have meant skipping out on fascinating tourist experiences like Armagh, the Causeway Coast, or the archaeological/historical sites of Counties Louth and Meath. No regrets here.

Wannamoisett, Rhode Island, 7: The best Ross course I've ever played, it reminded me in many ways of Plainfield (which I've only walked). The routing and hazards are masterfully done; despite the notoriously small property, the holes never feel cramped. Thanks to a fellow GCAer for hosting me for the round!

Yale, Connecticut, 8: I could write pages about my love for the Course at Yale. For now, I'll just say that I'm extremely happy to be a member.

Matt Dawson

« Reply #1682 on: December 03, 2017, 12:42:52 PM »

Royal County Down, N. Ireland, 8: Royal County Down is, of course, ranked as one of the very best golf courses in the world....One of the best courses I have played, for sure

JBovay - assuming 8 is your Doak-esque score out of 10, you are certainly a tough marker!

JBovay

« Reply #1683 on: December 03, 2017, 04:21:44 PM »
Matt: I am! When I first learned about the Doak scale and started scoring courses according to it, I knew that I hadn't seen enough of the greats to distinguish between an 8 and a 9, and certainly couldn't distinguish between a 9 and a 10. As a result, I only have one course scored above an 8 right now: The Old Course. Perhaps I will revise my scores in a couple of years.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #1684 on: December 08, 2017, 01:05:49 AM »

Highlands Links, Nova Scotia, 8: My first trip to Highlands Links--once my favorite course in the world--in eight years was filled with anticipation. I was amazed to see the contours of many of the greens, most of which I'd forgotten over the years. (2 and 7 were particularly remarkable in this regard; 5 is unforgettable.) Ian Andrew has done a great job of clearing out trees and opening up views on some holes; however, the course is still quite tight and there's little hope of finding one's ball once it's off the mown grass. Most surprising of all were the conditions in August 2016--as firm and fast as any true links, which only added to the challenge.

They must have gotten a fair bit of rain as I played it in middle of September last year and it wasn't firm nor fast. It was dry though. With that said the fairways were pretty shaggy and greens slow. Would have been nice to play it firm and fast with the rolling fairways.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #1685 on: December 08, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »
Last 10 as the season seems like it might be over.

1.  LedgeRock

2.  French Creek

3.  Jeffersonville

4.  Cobbs Creek Olde

5.  Merion East

6.  Prairie Dunes

7.  Bethpage Black

8.  Engineers

9.  Berkshire CC

10.  Garden City GC

MCirba

« Reply #1686 on: December 09, 2017, 08:15:07 AM »
That's a nice 10 Chris.

Give me a shout next time you're in the neighborhood. 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jack Carney

« Reply #1687 on: December 09, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »
Last Ten:

Davenport
LACC North
LACC South
Monterey Penn (Dunes)
California Club of San Francisco
Southern Hills
Cedar Ridge
Sand Valley
Shoal Creek
CC of Birmingham

Jim Tang

« Reply #1688 on: December 09, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »

Medalist
Riviera
Boston
Lawsonia Links
Lawsonia Woodlands
Sand Valley
Preview play at Mammoth Dunes
Prairie Dunes
Ballyneal
Cedar Rapids
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 05:36:32 PM by Jim Tang »

Chris Mavros

« Reply #1689 on: December 09, 2017, 07:11:24 PM »
That's a nice 10 Chris.

Give me a shout next time you're in the neighborhood.

Thanks, Mike, and will do! 

MCirba

« Reply #1690 on: December 18, 2017, 12:26:18 PM »
Philadelphia Cricket (Wissahickon) - Tillinghast, Foster - 8
Berkleigh - Robert White - 5
Forest Hill Field Club - Tillinghast  - 4.5
Cobb's Creek - Wilson, Crump, Smith & Others - TBD
Frosty Valley - William/David Gordon - 3
Old Memorial - Smyers - 6.5
Cleveland Heights - Flynn, Garl - 4
Streamsong Black - Hanse/Wagner - 8.5
Streamsong Blue - Doak - 8.5
TPC Sawgrass - Dye, Wenzloff - 7.5

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #1691 on: December 18, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
Just to say, this new trend (on a couple of the last posts) of adding a Doak score to your most recent plays is interesting and helpful for folks like me. For example, knowing a bit about Mike C's wide range of playing experience and catholic tastes, it was striking to see his 8s and 8.5s for Philly Cricket on one end of the spectrum and two of the Streamsongs on the other. Please keep it up if you're so inclined
Peter 

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #1692 on: December 18, 2017, 04:14:51 PM »
1. Bandon Dunes - 8
2. Pacific Dunes (9)
3. Bandon Dunes Preserve (9)
4. Manitou Ridge (3)
5. Oak Glen (3)
6. Stillwater CC (5)
7. Hillcrest CC (4)
8. Midland Hills (5)
9. Sand Valley - 8
10. Mammoth Dunes (7)

I actually enjoy Bandon Dunes a touch more than Pacific Dunes, but the fairways at Bandon were not in great shape last week. To be honest, the most fun I had was on the Preserve. Anyone who skips that 13-hole gem is making a serious mistake.

My rating for Mammoth Dunes isn't really fair; not all the holes were open when I played it in August. But it was fun and memorable. I think I'm going to prefer Sand Valley, but I won't skip either course on future visits.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:58:32 AM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jim Nugent

« Reply #1693 on: December 19, 2017, 10:05:26 AM »
Philadelphia Cricket (Wissahickon) - Tillinghast, Foster - 8
Berkleigh - Robert White - 5
Forest Hill Field Club - Tillinghast  - 4.5
Cobb's Creek - Wilson, Crump, Smith & Others - TBD
Frosty Valley - William/David Gordon - 3
Old Memorial - Smyers - 6.5
Cleveland Heights - Flynn, Garl - 4
Streamsong Black - Hanse/Wagner - 8.5
Streamsong Blue - Doak - 8.5
TPC Sawgrass - Dye, Wenzloff - 7.5

Mike, you went to Streamsong, but didn't play the red?  Or was it maybe #11 (or next to come)? 

MCirba

« Reply #1694 on: December 19, 2017, 10:10:04 AM »
Hi Jim,

Yes, I went to Streamsong this past week and didn't play the Red.  I had played both Blue and Red three years ago but an opportunity came up to run up to Ponte Vedra to play TPC which I have always wanted to see.   

Jim Nugent

« Reply #1695 on: December 19, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »
Mike, care to rank the three Streamsong courses? 

MCirba

« Reply #1696 on: December 20, 2017, 06:35:25 AM »
Mike, care to rank the three Streamsong courses?

Jim,

I suspect mine might be a slightly minority opinion as I'm a huge fan of quirk and a sense of discovery and  adventure but my 10 round split would alphabetically be 4 Black, 4 Blue, and 2 Red.

I went back to play Blue to see if it was as good as I remembered. 

It was.

corey miller

« Reply #1697 on: December 20, 2017, 02:28:22 PM »

Mike

Black was all that and also deemed/designed as "the championship" layout? Need to see it!!!

MCirba

« Reply #1698 on: December 20, 2017, 05:03:50 PM »

Mike

Black was all that and also deemed/designed as "the championship" layout? Need to see it!!!

Corey,

I will be very interested to hear your thoughts when you do. I suspect it will be a bit of a polarizing Golf Course.

PThomas

« Reply #1699 on: January 10, 2018, 02:03:15 PM »
Tara Iti
Kauri Cliffs
Cape Kidnappers
Royal Melbourne composite
Commonwealth
Metropolitan
Bonnie Doon
Barnbougle Dunes
Barnbougle - Lost Farm
New South Wales
St. Michael's
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back